Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano PD-M535

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shimano PD-M535

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 12:55 AM
FlamingBirdy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano PD-M535

Can someone tell me a bit about the Shimano PD-M535 pedals? I Googled them up but I'm not getting much info about them. Are they usable for road cycling and what kind of cleats / shoes do they take?

Also, anyone know anything about cleats stamped "97A"? I can't find much about those either...

The pedals and cleats came with the bike I bought used, but would you guys recommend that I get a new set of pedals / cleats / shoes? And if so, any suggestions for what kind?

Thanks a bunch. I'm new to clipless pedals :/
Old 06-22-09, 09:31 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I googled them up and it sounds like they're an ancient SPD mountain bike pedal. If they work, they're fine to use. If you want a more recent SPD pedal, try the Shimano M520. You can often find them for around $35 and they're compatible with the current SH51 and SH56 ("multi-release") SPD cleats.
Old 06-22-09, 11:15 AM
FlamingBirdy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I got them with a 1990 Trek 1200.

Do you know what cleats are compatible with the M535? And what is this Wellgo WPD 97A cleat I have? Does it fit with the M535?

As for shoes, are there specific types that fit with my pedals?
Old 06-22-09, 04:34 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FlamingBirdy
Do you know what cleats are compatible with the M535? And what is this Wellgo WPD 97A cleat I have? Does it fit with the M535?
Don't really know anything about the pedals or cleats; you might try one of the mountain biking forums.

Most modern SPD pedals work with the SH51 or SH56 cleats. If your pedals won't work with those cleats, I'd throw them away and buy new pedals.

As for shoes, are there specific types that fit with my pedals?
You need a shoe that accepts a 2-bolt cleat. For the most part, these will be classified as "mountain bike" shoes.
Old 06-22-09, 08:56 PM
green814
Sneaky Fast....

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Epic Expert, 2005 Giant TCR C3, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2Comp, 1986 Raleigh Capri 10spd, 1982 KHS Turbo 12spd, Wife's: 2010 Specialized Safire Comp Komen, 2007 Specialized Dolce Elite, 2005 Giant OCR3, 2000 Trek 6000 WSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=sstorkel;9147615Most modern SPD pedals work with the SH51 or SH56 cleats. If your pedals won't work with those cleats, I'd throw them away and buy new pedals.
You need a shoe that accepts a 2-bolt cleat. For the most part, these will be classified as "mountain bike" shoes.[/QUOTE]

The 535's will work with either the 51 or 56 cleats. As I understand, the 56 are a "Multi release", where you can lift your heel up to release the cleat, as well as twisting your foot.. I have never tried them, only using the 51 cleats.

As mentioned. if the 535's still work, use them! I am still using a pair myself.

Hope that helps,
Chris