Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road-Tripping in Northern MI - any suggestions?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-09, 04:48 AM
pollbix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello.

I'm going to be in and about northern MI (lower peninsula) next week & I'd like to plan a day trip, maybe two. I'll be positioning myself by truck, so specific location is not really a concern, but some place coastal would be nice. I'm up for a 50-100 mi one-day trip or a 100-150 two-day.

Has anyone here gone on similar trips in that area? If so, what say you? A cursory interweb glance indicates a wealth of trails/routes in the northwest (Traverse/Leelanau area) & also the slightly-lower east (Oscoda/Tawas area). Is one area preferable to the other? If so, which routes/trails are best?

thanks..
Old 08-26-09, 05:00 AM
cyanemi

Bikes: 1989 Fuji Saratoga, Salsa Mukluk, Electra Townie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trips in Mich

There is a good trail by Traverse city, sorry I don't know the specifics.I think any business in Traverse City will have the info for you. There is also a rail trail around Mullett Lake which is absolutely gorgeous. I was on that and it apparently goes around the whole lake which is huge. Mullett Lake is on the Northeast side of the state. Hartwick Pines has a bike path along the forest, mileage unknown. Hartwick Pines is a state Forest with some Old Growth trees. This is in north central lower peninsula.
Old 08-26-09, 02:17 PM
curtwally

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out the Cherry Capital cycling club in Traverse City. Below is their maps page. Old Mission peninsula is a great area. Also not to be missed in conjunction with a longer ride is the 10 mile (or so) loop of Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes. (great road with spectacular views of the Dunes and Lake Michigan with minimal traffic but it does cost $5 even on bike). The Leelanau area is also nice for riding. Have a good time

https://www.cherrycapitalcyclingclub....1776&cat_id=-1
Old 08-26-09, 02:33 PM
Skipsjh

Bikes: 93 Schwinn Sidewinder, 05 Giant Cypress DX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding around on M22 works really good. If you mix up some inland roads with hills, you can easily make a 100-150 2day. If you were to stay in Suttons Bay or Leland, you have a good starting point.
Old 08-26-09, 02:38 PM
homebody146

Bikes: Klein Q-Pro Carbon Team, Trek FX7.3, Bianchi Campione d'italia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you're up there around labor day, there's a ride accross the Mackinac Bridge before the hoofers go ( think it's the day or two before)......I'll be up there to walk .......and of course ride around the island.....way less than 50 miles though ;-)
Old 08-26-09, 02:54 PM
Runner+Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyanemi
There is a good trail by Traverse city, sorry I don't know the specifics.I think any business in Traverse City will have the info for you. There is also a rail trail around Mullett Lake which is absolutely gorgeous. I was on that and it apparently goes around the whole lake which is huge. Mullett Lake is on the Northeast side of the state. Hartwick Pines has a bike path along the forest, mileage unknown. Hartwick Pines is a state Forest with some Old Growth trees. This is in north central lower peninsula.

The rail trail around Mullet Lake is amazing. I was just there for a cross country trip. The trail is very well taken care of and the route is very scenic. Hartwick Pines has a very nice trail from what I saw. When I was there two weeks ago, it appeared as the bike trail went on for a while. The trails through the forest are stupendous. It was a great trip.
Old 08-26-09, 05:31 PM
mhamm

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Contact username "Fred" on these forums. He lives up there and can show you many routes. Also look up routes on MapMyRide under the same username.
Old 08-26-09, 06:46 PM
brian416
Roadie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
There are some amazing rides around Traverse City, tons of great roads and views. If you have any questions about specific routes or anything in this area shoot me a pm.

Hopefully some of these routes will give you some ideas

Peninsula Ride, Quite flat, only 3 hills, but great views of the bay
https://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...city/390479104

One of my Favorite rides through Lake Leelanau and Leeland. There's also a coffee shop in Lake Leelanau called Pedaling Beans, bike themed coffee shop!
https://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...-city/60064414

Beautiful Route around Glen Lake
https://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...y/624385172735

Great route leaving Elk Rapids, Goes around Torch Lake
https://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...pids/615401121

Shorter 50 mile loop in Leelanau county
https://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...y/796258496863

If you want to go as far north as Petosky, the Tunnel of Trees is great, It might be a big busy this time of year with tourists though, This is more "Fred"'s area though
https://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...24122166022348
Old 08-26-09, 06:47 PM
brian416
Roadie

Some of the scenery from Leelanau

Old 08-26-09, 08:16 PM
green814
Sneaky Fast....

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Epic Expert, 2005 Giant TCR C3, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2Comp, 1986 Raleigh Capri 10spd, 1982 KHS Turbo 12spd, Wife's: 2010 Specialized Safire Comp Komen, 2007 Specialized Dolce Elite, 2005 Giant OCR3, 2000 Trek 6000 WSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by homebody146
if you're up there around labor day, there's a ride accross the Mackinac Bridge before the hoofers go ( think it's the day or two before)......I'll be up there to walk .......and of course ride around the island.....way less than 50 miles though ;-)
Unless there is a "New" ride this year across the bridge I haven't heard about, ONLY the DELMAC riders (from Lansing to Mackinaw) are allowed to cross the bridge by bike as far as I know, which I THINK is Sat. Though, if you ever have the chance to ride the bridge, it is INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!

Now, if you were in the area of Mackinaw City over the 19/20 (I think that is the dates), there is the Big Mac Shoreline Bike Tour, an organized 25/50/75/100 mile ride on Sa, then about 400 or so riders are allowed to ride the bridge on Sun.

As for riding the Island, IF you have a Mtb, you could easily ride 30-40 miles without riding much of the same roads or trails. There are numerous walking/bike trails, both paved, and gravel/ singletrack.

Homebody: If you are taking a Mtb, there was (I think there still is) a "FREE" (just asks for tips) guided tour around/in the Island. Doc's bike tour I think it is called. He meets a little before 10:00am by the bike shop, and takes you around the Island while telling some history of the Island with Folklore tales mixed in. It was a lot of fun when we did it. You end up going down some dirt roads, so a Road Bike is a no go!
Old 08-27-09, 07:20 PM
pollbix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses, people. I will take a look at all these suggestions.

Right now, I'm leaning toward a paved path I've read about which extends b/w Charlevoix & Petosky, and then heading north around the coast to the "Tunnel of Trees" route & north to Mackinaw. Has anyone out there gone on that ride? I live in and am used to riding around the Toledo, OH area, so I know the hills are going to kick my ass. What I'm more concerned about is coastal winds, but I guess that goes with the territory, right? I just hope I don't start off on some 50+ mile trek & then immediately have my ass handed to me by wind & hills, but I'm definitely going to give it a shot.

Cyanemi, I looked into those trails around Mullett Lake & they look really great, but I don't think the rough surface would be a good fit for my skinny tires. Another time on another bike, maybe.
Old 08-27-09, 07:31 PM
brian416
Roadie

The Tunnel of Trees is a great route, its quite flat, it doesn't get hilly unless you head away from the shoreline. Winds are not too bad, maybe 15mph from the west or north if it is a windy day, generally around 10mph though
Old 08-27-09, 07:51 PM
pollbix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great pics, btw, Brian. I've been to the Leelanau area before & yeah, it is gorgeous. I'll def. take the possibility of riding around there into consideration, but I have to confess that the climbs in the second to last pic have me a little intimidated
Old 08-27-09, 08:25 PM
brian416
Roadie

The climbs really aren't too bad, although I'm used to them... Pretty much anywhere from here Manistee to The Bridge on this side of the state is going to be awesome riding though.
Old 08-28-09, 12:47 AM
rumblebelly
probably has a flat

Bikes: Scattante r330

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh damn I am going to have to visit Leelanau sometime, that is gorgeous.

I vote +1 for Traverse city. The area is absolutely fantastic, albeit a bit hilly sometimes. Never ridden there but been there a few times and loved it from a pedestrian/car POV.

And yeah I believe only DALMAC attendees can cross the bridge, I am hoping to go next year if it fits into my schedule. But Macinac Island is a great place to bring your bike if you are visiting there for any reason. It's definitely worth the hassle/money to bring your own bike and not rent a cruiser. The island in itself is a great ride along the coast which is only made for biking and around town, just watch out for horse crap and kids. Like someone else said there's quite a bit of MTB trails too so be aware of that, they would be very fun.

So I say, Macinaw area and Traverse City area. Northern Michigan just rocks compared to the flat south.