Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

How quickly do you "lose" your fitness

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-13, 03:06 PM
MH817

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been out of town quite a bit with work over the past two weeks, and my training has been abysmal. I was averaging about 6 days a week on the bike (with one of those being a recovery) since the end of May. For the past two weeks I've only ridden about 3-4 times. I was due for a recovery week anyway, and I was starting to get mentally fatigued as well - so maybe this is a good thing.

However, I have a race next weekend that I've been gunning for most of the year. I'm resuming my normal training plan today and will be able to get 4 pretty solid workouts in before tapering for the race next Sunday. Have I completely screwed myself, or should I be able to maintain my fitness with the small layoff?
Old 08-03-13, 03:19 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 103 Posts
Without more info it's hard to say. If you'd put in a huge block of training just before your trip then it's possible that after a few days riding you'll actually be stronger than you were when you left. My winter used to involve some hard training for 2 months, culminating in a huge week or two that ended in late January or early February. Then I'd spend pretty much 3 weeks barely training due to other commitments, with my first race the first Sunday in March. I'd be feeling super good that Sunday.

On the other hand if you were doing the same thing over and over then you'll be very fresh but in terms of fitness I couldn't tell you. I've had some of my best races in my lift after 9-10 days off the bike (and typically 1 ride in the previous 20 days) mid-season, i.e. no big training block and a totally unexpected break from training.

Recovery lets you rebuild. Go for an easy ride first - my feet/legs usually swell up pretty badly if I take even a few days off the bike so I do an easy ride to shrink them down. Then do whatever you do, with the second day before your race an easy/rest day and a moderate ride the day before the race.

Better educated training/fitness people please pipe up.
Old 08-03-13, 04:32 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it REALLY helps if you can get on a bike for even 10-15 minutes of easy pedaling, to maintain neuromuscular firing patterns. that can keep you slightly more in a neutral mode rather than detraining.

if you are COMPLETELY off the bike, you are recovering the first few days then DEtraining.
Old 08-03-13, 05:07 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It really depends on your level of fitness before the break and where you were in the base/build/taper cycle. If you timed it right, you should be in race shape in a few days.
Old 08-03-13, 05:18 PM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tetonrider
it REALLY helps if you can get on a bike for even 10-15 minutes of easy pedaling, to maintain neuromuscular firing patterns. that can keep you slightly more in a neutral mode rather than detraining.

if you are COMPLETELY off the bike, you are recovering the first few days then DEtraining.
this is what i've been told, and generally try to do.
Old 08-03-13, 06:54 PM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
a friend of mine sometimes drives a truck all week and then goes to races on weekends

and wins.
Old 08-04-13, 12:13 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by MH817
I've been out of town quite a bit with work over the past two weeks, and my training has been abysmal. I was averaging about 6 days a week on the bike (with one of those being a recovery) since the end of May. For the past two weeks I've only ridden about 3-4 times. I was due for a recovery week anyway, and I was starting to get mentally fatigued as well - so maybe this is a good thing.

However, I have a race next weekend that I've been gunning for most of the year. I'm resuming my normal training plan today and will be able to get 4 pretty solid workouts in before tapering for the race next Sunday. Have I completely screwed myself, or should I be able to maintain my fitness with the small layoff?
you will be fine.

my race videos
Old 08-05-13, 10:00 PM
clones2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed. With you current training workload... Dropping to just a few days of training could actually get you really strong with some fresh legs. Post with how it goes.
Old 08-06-13, 06:49 AM
Tyrell

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Grammatical gold star for using "lose" instead of "loose" in this context.
Old 08-06-13, 07:05 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
I was off the bike for 3 weeks traveling this summer, and when I got back on, my fitness level was very loose.

Old 08-06-13, 08:04 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by MH817

Hay is already in the barn for next weekend. Other than some short intense efforts to keep you sharp, nothing much you do in the next 10 days is going to change results next Sunday (other than trying to make up for lost time and burying yourself, which could have a negative effect.)

The training you're doing this week is for down the road.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-12-13, 10:23 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
for me, if I ride hard for several days, I can notice the difference within a week. On the other hand, if I'm off the bike for a week, that effect is pretty obvious too.

someone said that riding less days is better than training 6 days/week? what's a good number of days to aim for? I was thinking biking to and from work (45 miles) Tuesdays and Thursdays, with some intervals mixed in there, along with a hard group ride at the end of the day (about 25-30 miles), and rest M/W/F, and then train again during the weekend. Is that too much for one day? Or should I ride to work Monday/Wednesday, and spread it out a little?