Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The going backwards department

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-20, 05:53 PM
dmarkun
Slowfoot

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh International, 1979 Scapin (?), 1980 Trek 715, 1984 SR Maxima, 1993 Bridgestone RB1, 1998 753 Waterford X-12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 52 Posts

After weeks of anticipation, everything was prepped to start paint touch-up on a new project with the clean frame propped on the bench and my little bottles of paint at the ready. Wait a minute … is that dropout bent, how the heck did I miss that? I took a 15 minute break and checked it. Yep. Have to fix that before I paint. Started to build a tool and went to the drill press for one good hole … Forgot the drill press was set out of square from a previous project - have to reset that first. After thirty years with that drill press, I decided that this would be a good time to finally align the 0 degree mark on the column - have to drill out the attaching rivets on the degree indicating plate. (The plan: oversize the holes in the plate, tap the rivet holes in the column - instant adjustability.) I center punch the rivet heads and grab the drill and the smallest bit … won't center in the hole, tip broken, my last bit - oh yeah, I remember when that happened and I had made a note to myself to get some more. It's Sunday night, 8pm. Home Depot closes at 7. With a sigh, I made sure the little paint bottle caps were tight and I headed upstairs. I wonder what the football game is tonight, hope we have beer …
Likes For dmarkun:
Old 11-04-20, 07:04 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 371 Posts
sometimes the best thing to do is wait for tomorrow

many times I've been off the chart frustrated, only to solve things within minutes the next day
Old 11-04-20, 07:39 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Heh. Welcome to my world.
Old 11-04-20, 07:55 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Brutal. Sometimes a forced stoppage is exactly what we need though. The project will still be there tomorrow, and you'll be in a better frame of mind.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 11-04-20, 08:07 PM
campngolf

Bikes: 70's Raleigh Sports, '12 Specialized Secteur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sometimes the best day to do a project is tomorrow. I've got a $400 spigot in my backyard because I figured I'd fix the drip in the old spigot before the foundation for my remodel was poured. Only problem was it was July 4th when I started the project. I messed it up and needed a plumber to come out and save the day. It ended up raining the next day so they couldn't pour the foundation. Arghh.