Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Jamis Sonik geo

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-23, 09:32 AM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts
Jamis Sonik geo

Hi, all.

I've only ridden in a velodrome a few times, because just as I started, winter hit, then I moved away. When I moved, I donated my bike (a Medium Giant Omnium) to a junior who had been using a loaner. All good. But the Omnium fit me well, and holy crap, was it the best trainer bike ever that winter. Super-stiff, felt great, etc.

I'm back near(ish) a track, and it sounds like a great excuse to get an n+1. Also, since my roadie is a pain to get on the wheel-on trainer (I don't feel like swapping the TA), I've had my old '77 Schwinn Super LeTour on there, and it's a noodle. Rationalization? Sure, but all roads to N+1 are good ones, right?

So there's a Jamis Sonik in size 54 near me for $800 right now. Geo below, but the big differences between the Sonik and the Omnium are:
  • Jamis has 3mm less reach (seems insignificant)
  • Jamis has 25mm less stack (seems significant)
  • Jamis has 29mm shorter chainstays (not like I'm turning much on a track, but that seems significant)
  • Jamis has .5 degrees slacker seat tube angle
  • Jamis has .5 degrees steeper head tube angle
I'm going to go take a look at it ASAP, but assuming the Omnium felt good, how close is that going to be to the same ballpark for a middle-aged (52), not-super-flexible guy?
  • Height: 5'9.5"
  • Short legs (wear 30" jeans inseam, but it's my femurs that are particularly short, which is why I usually end up on short cranks with kinda-steep seat tubes)

Last edited by cormacf; 08-14-23 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Added chainstay
Old 08-15-23, 07:09 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Have you tried bikegeo.net?

it's a good site for comparing frame geometries.

That said, for Track, I think generally bigger is better than smaller.