Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-24, 12:31 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
We had a good midweek ride. Starting temps in the upper 20’s meant occasional frozen runoff, but we were extra vigilant and only had to stop/dismount/walk a couple times. Way better than the trainer or a job.
Glad to see you haven't been banned.
Old 02-21-24, 12:46 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Is polishing really tarnished silver a PITA? I have two old platters I got from mom. I’m almost certain they are silver, but they are in horrible condition.
It can be. I seem to recall, though, that my parents at one time had some liquid you could dip in or wipe on that would work pretty much instantly on most silver. Polished sterling silver is a beautiful color, much brighter than stainless steel. Of course, it tarnishes like nobody's business and dishwashers will dull the shine, too. Once you've got them polished, though, it's not THAT much work to keep them up.

Mrs. GJ ended up with both her Grandmother's and her Mother's sterling silverware. Up through maybe the 1950s, I think buying a full set of silverware for a new bride was standard American Middle Class practice. My Mom had a complete service for 8 - which was handy because there were that many of us! - from her parents, having married in 1942. I believe we used that for every day till Mom and Dad got a double set of quality stainless flatware in the mid 60s. Anyway, one of the weird obsessive things I did during the Pandemic was to drag out both sets of silverware Mrs. GJ inherited, polish them all, count up what was there and buy replacements for the missing ones off Ebay. I also bought a silver chest for the stuff from her Grandmother. I drag out one or the other set for special occasions, like Thanksgiving or Christmas.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-21-24, 12:47 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Glad to see you haven't been banned.
Yet.

Old 02-21-24, 12:47 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Yet.
Likes For datlas:
Old 02-21-24, 12:53 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
I looked at the "Sunrise/Sunset Times" last night, wondering when I could return to riding outdoors, and damned if it's not just 3 weeks from the time change! I had been thinking, ever since the Fall change to Standard Time, that I might use the winter to do some structured training, but I never got around to it, for a couple reasons, but the biggest reason is I didn't have any kind of overarching plan, and I didn't have an overarching PLAN, because I don't have any overarching GOALS. Get fitter? Go faster? Higher FTP? Yes, those would be nice, but what would I do with them? I don't race IRL, and since Zwift once again saw fit to declare me a "C", racing there consists of me watching the lead group disappear in the distance while I look around for another group to ride in so we can all battle for Umpteenth place at the end.

Most training plans seem to be predicated on having some event in the future for which you're building up, knowing that it will be the peak of your fitness and you'll inevitably decline a bit after. But I don't have any such event to aim for. I just want to be able to ride faster for longer, more or less permanently. Where's the training plan for that, apart from "Modified Merckx"? And is there even any downside to simply riding like that all the time - go hard some places, easy in others, and try to pace myself so I tire myself out on every ride?

Anyway, it's almost time for weekday after work rides again, and I've done no structured training, and my FTP seems largely where it was last Fall - somewhere in the 2.8-2.9 w/kg range, and my legs pretty much will take me as far as I have time to go. And I guess that's really all I need.
I was recently pondering the "why" of doing rides with the intent of getting faster and stronger for longer. Yes, I'm active with the occasional gravel events. but I really don't care much about placing. I have zero interest in returning to the intense suffering of road racing. So, why do I train? For me it's about being better at the "game of bikes". Whether the game is sharing a spicy group ride with other folks, tackling a local climb, or handling a demanding singletrack, feeling like my body can handle those things confidently and competently matters to me. I enjoy the sensation of rolling down the road efficiently, under my own power. I enjoy the sensation of pouring on more watts for a tough section, or in response to other riders in the group raising the pace, and my body responding easily to the demands.
Old 02-21-24, 01:00 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
We had a good midweek ride. Starting temps in the upper 20’s meant occasional frozen runoff, but we were extra vigilant and only had to stop/dismount/walk a couple times. Way better than the trainer or a job.
I went to town for a blood test than took some stuff to the “dump.”

Way better than a trainer or a job. Ask me how I know.
Old 02-21-24, 01:03 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Easy 1 hour on tap for today. It rained like hell overnight, but the skys are dry now. Pooled water on the ground, so I may just ride the trainer. But I like the trainer .

Plus, I have some personal chores to do or things to read that I can accomplish while doing my z1/2 spin. Or just zone out and watch some Youtube, either bike racing (in some format) or my latest obsession - Starcraft Broodwar PvP replays (lol - throwback!)

This evening before dinner - weekly jog. Might up the pace a bit since I seem to be healed enough to run pain free.
Old 02-21-24, 01:08 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by Eric F
I was recently pondering the "why" of doing rides with the intent of getting faster and stronger for longer. Yes, I'm active with the occasional gravel events. but I really don't care much about placing. I have zero interest in returning to the intense suffering of road racing. So, why do I train? For me it's about being better at the "game of bikes". Whether the game is sharing a spicy group ride with other folks, tackling a local climb, or handling a demanding singletrack, feeling like my body can handle those things confidently and competently matters to me. I enjoy the sensation of rolling down the road efficiently, under my own power. I enjoy the sensation of pouring on more watts for a tough section, or in response to other riders in the group raising the pace, and my body responding easily to the demands.
+1. I learned during the pandemic that I enjoy training as much as racing (or maybe more); still trained hard. Plus, I just came off a killer 2019 season where I lost 10lbs, had a huge w/kg boost and laid waste to the SCNCA cat 3 fields. So I wanted to keep that vibe going .

genejockey I think most (or all?) training philosophies are indeed predicated around events, or at least a "season" where one wants to be really good, and build a periodization plan around. For me, I find it helps to take it easy for a few months in late summer/fall. Go camping and backpacking and stuff. After some time of that, I usually feel pretty motivated to train and get good on the bike. The early gains are always inspiring.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 02-21-24, 01:17 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13714 Post(s)
Liked 4,531 Times in 2,507 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Nothing says "Stay off my property" like a trip wire!
Hidden trip wire. Seems like someone indented to inflict harm.
Likes For rjones28:
Old 02-21-24, 01:17 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by TMonk
+1. I learned during the pandemic that I enjoy training as much as racing (or maybe more); still trained hard. Plus, I just came off a killer 2019 season where I lost 10lbs, had a huge w/kg boost and laid waste to the SCNCA cat 3 fields. So I wanted to keep that vibe going .

genejockey I think most (or all?) training philosophies are indeed predicated around events, or at least a "season" where one wants to be really good, and build a periodization plan around. For me, I find it helps to take it easy for a few months in late summer/fall. Go camping and backpacking and stuff. After some time of that, I usually feel pretty motivated to train and get good on the bike. The early gains are always inspiring.
An important thing for me in this phase of my riding life - which is different than my previous racer-boy mentality - is that sometimes I go ride with zero intent. Even programmed easy days are an intent. I find it incredibly mentally refreshing to leave the house with no plan, and maybe even without a route picked out. Just ride however I'm feeling in the moment. I had to teach myself how to do this.
Old 02-21-24, 01:21 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I'm not a 14-year-old girl. I came of age before social media. I know what's going on and am not controlled by dopamine hits.
You can quit any time?
Old 02-21-24, 01:23 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28622 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Winter is unraveling like a cheap suit on a rainy day.
Oh noes. Comfortable days are on the way.
Old 02-21-24, 01:24 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Yet.
O.o
Old 02-21-24, 01:41 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
I hear freakin birds singing in the trees, I see another bird preparing its nest, and I see leaf buds thickening on trees. It's still February and it's beginning to look a lot like spring, everywhere you go. Winter is unraveling like a cheap suit on a rainy day.
Snowing here!
Old 02-21-24, 01:54 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8843 Post(s)
Liked 2,990 Times in 1,738 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I'm not a 14-year-old girl. I came of age before social media. I know what's going on and am not controlled by dopamine hits.
Ok boomer.
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 02-21-24, 02:04 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
I hear freakin birds singing in the trees, I see another bird preparing its nest, and I see leaf buds thickening on trees. It's still February and it's beginning to look a lot like spring, everywhere you go. Winter is unraveling like a cheap suit on a rainy day.
Same, here in SW Ontario. 10C (50F, iirc); birds singing; buds appearing; ground is soft; no snow pack. The geese are well into nesting.
I am no fan at all of eastern Canadian winters -- first 40+ years on southern Vancouver Island -- but even I will admit that this isn't good. Supposed to hit 12C middle of next week.
Old 02-21-24, 02:16 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

45F and sunny. I washed the salt off of the SportWagen.
Old 02-21-24, 02:31 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

An important thing for me in this phase of my riding life - which is different than my previous racer-boy mentality - is that sometimes I go ride with zero intent. Even programmed easy days are an intent. I find it incredibly mentally refreshing to leave the house with no plan, and maybe even without a route picked out. Just ride however I'm feeling in the moment. I had to teach myself how to do this.
Dang, Zen mode, achievement unlocked. I'm not sure my personality type would ever permit such an open mind. I'd have to teach myself as well.

Most years, I have no records of weekly plans from July through some time in October. During this time I rarely carry a negative TSB and might go by feel, but at the very least the duration is planned, and usually a route as well when I leave the door. I have on extreme occasion just left to explore - but it's usually when I'm visiting or otherwise new to an area. After that, my brain defaults to selecting a route.
Old 02-21-24, 02:43 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
45F and sunny. I washed the salt off of the SportWagen.
looks like it's raining out there now

And I'm wearing my super duper breathable running shoes
Old 02-21-24, 02:53 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by TMonk
Dang, Zen mode, achievement unlocked. I'm not sure my personality type would ever permit such an open mind. I'd have to teach myself as well.

Most years, I have no records of weekly plans from July through some time in October. During this time I rarely carry a negative TSB and might go by feel, but at the very least the duration is planned, and usually a route as well when I leave the door. I have on extreme occasion just left to explore - but it's usually when I'm visiting or otherwise new to an area. After that, my brain defaults to selecting a route.
Even in freeride mode, there is pretty much always a time constraint. When I was an active racer, the idea of a non-intentional ride was a foreign concept, even in the off-season. These days, I'm not targeting any kind of peaks for gravel events, which are spread throughout the year. I'll taper off in the week prior to try to gain some freshness, but that's about it. I go into each event with whatever I have, and try to ride to the best of my ability on that day, if I'm riding the event alone. At a previous event, I rode with a friend who started to fade off my pace towards the end. If I gapped him on a climb, I waited for him to rejoin me before continuing. Sharing the event added to the enjoyment.
Old 02-21-24, 02:54 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Interestingly, this is how I've always done it, though I do always tend to have a route in mind, but that's me - creature of habit! It's anything more structured than just riding however I feel that doesn't come naturally to me.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-21-24, 02:58 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
looks like it's raining out there now

And I'm wearing my super duper breathable running shoes
Sad.
Old 02-21-24, 03:40 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Interestingly, this is how I've always done it, though I do always tend to have a route in mind, but that's me - creature of habit! It's anything more structured than just riding however I feel that doesn't come naturally to me.
I spent 12 years as an active racer. I beat the "just ride" freedom out of myself with my huger to be better/stronger/faster on race day. Every ride had an intent. It wasn't all structured intervals, but there was definitely a training reason why I did each ride. In the last few years of it, I had pretty much abandoned my MTB, which was the one place where I would "just ride" to some extent. That intensity of focus was a big contributor in my motivation to ride taking a nose-dive, and part of why I stepped away from my bikes for 15 years. There were other factors, too, but burn-out was certainly in the equation. The thrill was gone.
Old 02-21-24, 04:22 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I spent 12 years as an active racer. I beat the "just ride" freedom out of myself with my huger to be better/stronger/faster on race day. Every ride had an intent. It wasn't all structured intervals, but there was definitely a training reason why I did each ride. In the last few years of it, I had pretty much abandoned my MTB, which was the one place where I would "just ride" to some extent. That intensity of focus was a big contributor in my motivation to ride taking a nose-dive, and part of why I stepped away from my bikes for 15 years. There were other factors, too, but burn-out was certainly in the equation. The thrill was gone.
Similarly, I burned out from group riding every Saturday and Sunday with the same club. As exhilarating and fun as a group ride was, it wasn't providing what I needed, or at least not enough of it. That kept me off the bike for several years. I used to largely stop riding in the winter and start up again in spring, but I just never got around to that first spring ride that starts it all up again. There was a whole year when I didn't ride at all, and then several where I probably did less than 500 miles the whole year. I spent my time on archery and bowyery instead.

Then I was discussing bikes with another guy on the archery forum, and mentioned that I wanted something with lower gears than the 39x25 on the Ritchey, and he emailed me a link for a clearance sale at Jenson USA, where they were selling last year's (2006) Bianchi 928 with 10 sp Veloce and a 50/34 crank. I bought that and my interest in riding rekindled, and after that I don't think there was any year where I road less than about 1000 miles - and NEVER in groups!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-21-24, 04:29 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8283 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
I started on the bike path. I take that to the more rural area. I had planned to do some steep roads but stay low in elevation but part way there I changed my mind and headed to a longer climb up a couple thousand feet. This channel is normally dry.

On the road I like to take this detour because it's so quiet but the water is 6 or 8 inches deep and there could be rocks and sand so I went the busier way.

Nice views all around.
Starting up.

Another view.

Getting near the top and it started getting darker and colder so I turned back. I didn't bring the right layer for descending while wet.

I crossed this one twice. It doesn't look like it but it's 3 or 4 inches deep. I didn't go slow enough and got one foot wet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.