Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

1x vs 2x

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-23, 09:02 AM
Gyfte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1x vs 2x

Hello,

I am currently riding a Canyon Grail CF Sl8.0 2x

I'm now looking at a new bike, and wondering if I shouldn't get a 1x.

I use my bike mostly for asphalt & hard gravel, less often for light singletracks. So all the info online say 2x.

Why am I hesitating now?
When I see how I ride a 2x,
starting on the big blade in front,
then first rear blade to smallest.
front blade to smallest blade.
rear blade shift higher until cadence is +/- equal .
then further the rear smaller gear again.

then i think this is equivalent to a 1x? without the complexity?
what do you guys think
Likes For Gyfte:
Old 09-05-23, 09:07 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Depends on the gearing. 1X might be geared too high, too low, or perfectly for your needs. We have no way of knowing.

It does have the benefit of eliminating the worry of cross-chaining, and you are less likely to stab yourself in the leg with your sprocket.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-05-23, 09:32 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
The inescapable fact of 1X is it gives you fewer mid gearing. It’s usually set up to give you the range, hi and lo, of a 2x system. But being a 11 or 12 cassette, will only give you that many gears, often with huge gaps between them. I’m OK with my 11 and 12 spd 1X systems on my mt. bikes as I’m riding up and down a lot of small hills and would be jumping between gears a lot. On the road, I prefer tighter spacing between the gearing, more useful in windy conditions or on easy rolling hills, YMMV

Last edited by Steve B.; 09-05-23 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-05-23, 09:50 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Here is a bicycle gear calculator: Bicycle Gear Calculator
Old 09-05-23, 09:51 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
When I started looking at changing my gravel bike from 2x to 1x, the first consideration was needing lower gearing for some of the steep climbs I encounter on many of my rides. Next, I looked to see how the large ring gear ratios and small ring gear ratios overlapped, and how much redundancy there was. What I found was that out of 22 possibilities, there was essentially 15 unique (or close) gear ratios. The biggest 2 I never really used. Any time I was going over about 28mph, I found I was usually just as well off coasting. I really didn't have situations where I needed to be putting down power at 30+ mph like I do on my road bike. So, for practical needs, I had 13 different gear ratios that were usable to me. Going to 1x, and extending the low range, expanded the jump between the lower gears a bit. However, what I found was that there are rare times when I wish I had an in-between gear, but it's really not a big deal to just turn a slightly slower or faster cadence. On my gravel bike, I'm really not riding long distances on the same grade at one cadence. My 38x42 low gear gets me up some pretty steep stuff, and my 38x11 top gear gives me all the speed I need.

All that said, your need might be different than mine. If my gravel bike was also serving my needs as a road bike, my gearing choice might be different.

Last edited by Eric F; 11-27-23 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-05-23, 09:56 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Eric wrote;
'but it's really not a big deal to just turn a slightly slower or faster cadence"

Unless you are on a long flat road with a stiff headwind. Then you really, really wish you had that tighter spacing between gears.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 09-05-23, 10:01 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyfte
Why am I hesitating now?
When I see how I ride a 2x,
starting on the big blade in front,
then first rear blade to smallest.
front blade to smallest blade.
rear blade shift higher until cadence is +/- equal .
then further the rear smaller gear again.

then i think this is equivalent to a 1x? without the complexity?
what do you guys think
I think I dont fully understand your shifting process. How I read what you typed above, it looks like you dont know how to effectively use a 2x drivetrain. If you dont know how to effectively use 2x, then 1x is clearly better.

On a related note, I also have never looked at a 2x drivetrain and felt it was complex. Its just 2 chainrings up front, and there is some overlap if you really want to dig into things, but that usually isnt even necessary.
I do accept that many look at 2 rings in the front and become frozen in fear, so 1x is perfect for them then.
Old 09-05-23, 10:04 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Eric wrote;
'but it's really not a big deal to just turn a slightly slower or faster cadence"

Unless you are on a long flat road with a stiff headwind. Then you really, really wish you had that tighter spacing between gears.
Which is a condition I have yet to encounter on my gravel bike. The landscape in my part of the world doesn't have a lot of that. Also, I'm fairly comfortable pushing a bigger gear than ideal, if the conditions call for it. Big gear/low cadence work is something I do fairly regularly. I also have a singlespeed MTB that I ride occasionally. That bike doesn't care what your rpm comfort zone is - LOL. As I said, my bike setup works for my needs. YMMV.
Old 09-05-23, 10:26 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
You can get the same range with either. The main difference is the jumps between gears. 1x has bigger jumps (particularly as you go up in cassette size), 2x has more options/smaller jumps between gears.

If you're really picky about gear jumps and cadence, a 2x setup will be better. The main benefit of 1x is that it's a simpler system, fewer things to adjust/maintain and you never have to think about shifting a FD. You can run a narrow/wide chainring on a 1x setup so chain retention is a little better.

For those reasons, the general advice is 1x for more off-road, 2x for more on-road. Beyond that, it's mostly personal preference and there's no right/wrong answer here - I run 1x on my cyclocross bikes and use them for a fair amount of road riding. I've never found the gear jumps to be problematic, but I'm also not running super huge cassettes.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 09-05-23, 10:35 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
1x makes your bike look cleaner!

Seriously though, on my gravel bike I'm not trying to go as fast as my road bikes since most my off-road terrain is uphill hard pack dirt trails and fire roads. Though if I rode my bike in conditions that had more rolling hills and flat stretches of gravel, I'd probably go 2x just to get that higher/tighter gearing.
Old 09-05-23, 10:37 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I do accept that many look at 2 rings in the front and become frozen in fear, so 1x is perfect for them then.
Cute, but this comment suggests that there is no validity to 1x drivetrains other than simplicity, which isn't entirely true.

Like all things gravel, the spectrum of riding styles and terrain varies widely and generally falls somewhere in-between road and MTB, so it's natural that some will prefer a more road-like setup and some will prefer a setup that leans more MTB.

There's room in this world for multiple options on these topics.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 09-05-23, 10:43 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Eric wrote;

You might gravel differently than me, but I would probably just drop to the next lower gear in this situation and spin a comfortable cadence, not worrying about the speed as much.

2x makes more sense for gravel racing and/or group rides where you need to maintain a specific speed.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 09-05-23, 10:43 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts
1x can have significant jumps - but you know what is a bigger jump ?

the jump to / from the small and big chain ring on a 2x

to me - the elimination of this gap on 1x is as much or more of significant benefit than the elimination of the front shifter and derailleur

if your terrain / riding style etc is suitable for 1x - you will probably like 1x

but as others point out in previous posts - there are some compromises and drawbacks to 1x (and therefore 1x will not ideally suit many)
Old 09-05-23, 11:01 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I think it would be fine for me to have a 1x gravel bike. I have a 42 tooth big chainring on my gravel bike now. So when I look at a gear calculator with 42-11 as a high gear, and 28-32 as a low gear, it's not too difficult to come up with a 1x that would cover most of that range. I probably would sacrifice a couple gears on the high end if it was going to be a pure gravel bike.
Old 09-05-23, 11:12 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by t2p

to me - the elimination of this gap on 1x is as much or more of significant benefit than the elimination of the front shifter and derailleur

if your terrain / riding style etc is suitable for 1x - you will probably like 1x

but as others point out in previous posts - there are some compromises and drawbacks to 1x (and therefore 1x will not ideally suit many)
Simultaneously shifting front and rear eliminates the big jump when switching rings.
Old 09-05-23, 11:43 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Originally Posted by Eric F
Simultaneously shifting front and rear eliminates the big jump when switching rings.
yes - I do that - or fairly close ... sorta / kinda ... sometimes required to maintain desired cadence ... even on my bike with a 46/34 ... (that is an outstanding front shifting bike - light / quick / snappy)

but I do like this attribute of 1x because I don’t need to do this ... just keep clicking / rowing up and down the gears

Last edited by t2p; 09-05-23 at 11:46 AM.
Likes For t2p:
Old 09-05-23, 11:48 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by t2p
yes - I do that - or fairly close ... sorta / kinda ... sometimes required to maintain desired cadence ... even on my bike with a 46/34 ... (that is an outstanding front shifting bike - light / quick / snappy)

but I do like this attribute of 1x because I don’t need to do this ... just keep clicking / rowing up and down the gears
For a gravel bike, I agree with 1x...like the sequential shifting of a race car
Old 09-05-23, 11:53 AM
t2p

another thing I like about 1x - the front derailleur and that area is often one of the most affected areas when riding gravel and dirt roads ... get covered with crap ... after just a few months of rides the front derailleur can look like it has been in service for a few years instead of months ... and they are annoying pita to clean
Old 09-05-23, 01:53 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Something I have noticed is that on the low end bikes they usually have 2x setups and the higher end bikes are 1x. This is for mountain and gravel bikes where 11-speed cassettes are the norm. With road bikes 12-speed cassettes are provided along with two chain rings to in theory provide 24 speeds, assuming no overlap. With road bikes more gears help to maintain a desired cadence on a wide range of terrain.
Old 09-05-23, 02:13 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Are you planning to keep the old bike and buy a new bike in addition, or only keep the new bike and get rid of the old bike?

If the 1x was my only bike I would feel limited, but if you're going to have to bikes then you can have one 1x and one 2x. I have both and my 2x is set up more like an all-road bike and my 1x has flat bars and is like a rigid MTB. I could use lower gearing on the 1x though (currently 42x13-40).
Old 09-05-23, 02:23 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by msu2001la
Cute, but this comment suggests that there is no validity to 1x drivetrains other than simplicity, which isn't entirely true.

Like all things gravel, the spectrum of riding styles and terrain varies widely and generally falls somewhere in-between road and MTB, so it's natural that some will prefer a more road-like setup and some will prefer a setup that leans more MTB.

There's room in this world for multiple options on these topics.
Yeah, there is definitely room in the world for multiple drivetrain options. 100% agree and I am definitely not fundamentally against 1x for gravel.
I was just saying that I have now come across a lot of people, in person and online, that straight up cant conceptualize how 2 chainrings could work. So for them, 1x is definitely the way to go(as opposed to 3x, which would melt their brains).
Old 09-05-23, 02:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by t2p

If you need to drop to the smaller ring up front, just click the left shifter twice to drop the chain to the small ring up front and click the right shifters a couple times to drop the chain onto a smaller cog. This will get you into a ratio that is roughly where you then need to be(since you are needing to shift to an easier ratio that where you currently are). Its instantaneous and not even something to think about - two clicks of each shifter and then if needed, adjust once more on the right side one direction or the other.
There is no significant jump then.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-05-23, 02:32 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Kids, these days!!! Back in my day, we rode bikes with 3 chainrings...in the snow...uphill both ways!!
Old 09-05-23, 02:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Calsun
Something I have noticed is that on the low end bikes they usually have 2x setups and the higher end bikes are 1x. This is for mountain and gravel bikes where 11-speed cassettes are the norm.
You consistently have some really hot takes on this site, but this one is scorching.

Cervelo Aspero GRX RX815 di2- $6500 https://www.cervelo.com/en-US/bikes/aspero
Cervelo Aspero 5 GRX RX815 di2- $6500 https://www.cervelo.com/en-US/bikes/aspero-5
Canyon Grizl CF SLX 8 di2- $4700 https://www.canyon.com/en-us/gravel-...nfarbe=GN%2FBK
Giant Revolt Advanced Pro 0 di2- $6400 https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/revolt-advanced-pro-0
Trek Checkpoint SLR7 di2- $8550 https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...ellow_bluedark

The list could go on and on.
1x is popular for sure, especially since anything gravel with SRAM will be 1x due to...well no need to derail the thread.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-05-23, 02:46 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Calsun
Something I have noticed is that on the low end bikes they usually have 2x setups and the higher end bikes are 1x. This is for mountain and gravel bikes where 11-speed cassettes are the norm. With road bikes 12-speed cassettes are provided along with two chain rings to in theory provide 24 speeds, assuming no overlap. With road bikes more gears help to maintain a desired cadence on a wide range of terrain.
Is this copy-pasta from AI? It's vaguely correct, but yet, not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.