Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Gravel race strategy: Hydration pack VS bottles

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-23, 06:22 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 683 Times in 328 Posts

I've signed up for a gravel race that is going to take around five hours. On a recent five hour "simulation ride" I went through three full bottles (each with 80g of carbs in them, some additional carbs from snacks). I carried two bottles on the bike, then switched up that third bottle by swinging back to the car, something I can't do on race day of course.

On race day there will be four aid stations where I could easily fill bottles - BUT - I was thinking about potentially using a hydration pack for the race. I have a small 2L one, so I could wear that plus have two bottles on the bike, or even just one bottle. That way I wouldn't need to rely on aid stations or even stop unless for a comfort break. Who knows how busy the aid stations will be. Plus this is an actual race, so I'm aiming to finish as fast as I can! Should I go with the pack?

PROS: Potentially faster as I'm not stopping?

CONS: Heavier initial setup. Hot sweaty back? Also, I'd look like a proper chopper... 😅

If I do use the hydration pack, should I put straight water in it, then additional carbs in the bottles? Or carbs in the pack bladder also?

I've got time to properly test different setups before race day. Thoughts?
Old 09-10-23, 10:03 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
I've always hated hydration packs, my back always ends up sweaty and slimy but for 5+ hour solo rides they're a must, really anything over 3 hours. For a supported ride with water stops, I'd probably pass on it and just stick with bottles.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 09-10-23, 10:44 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I just switch to a hip pack because it is the hip thing to do, get it. For mtn biking I've always used a back pack and never really thought it made my back sweaty, decent packs are made to help minimize that. Even now using a hip pack I don't really notice much of difference there. I'm not 100% sold on the hip pack thing either. It doesn't hold as much water and I don't think it stays in place as well as a back pack unless you have it super tight so I'm still 50/50 on which is better.
Anyway as long as it isn't bulky I don't see any reason not to use one in this example. You can throw all that carb stuff in there if you want but keep in mind you will have to do a thorough cleaning job on it or it will mold up. I'd just keep it water and carb the bottles.
Old 09-10-23, 11:04 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
In your shoes, I would only choose a hydration pack if I expect to be in an efficient pack or paceline that might blow through the aid stations. By carrying enough fluids, I could stay with them right to the finish. But if the race will get strung out, or I think most others will stop to refill, or I simply won't be competitive, I would rather skip the pack and refill bottles at the aid stations.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-10-23, 11:11 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
When I did BWR San Diego in April (6 hours of ride time), I had 2 bottles with Skratch Super High Carb mix, and a 2L hydro pack of plain water. I also carried an extra baggie of drink mix powder, but never used it. This was in addition to some snacks, and making use of a couple of aid stations (ice cold Cokes!). For me, it was perfect, and I will use the same approach for another similar-length gravel event next month.

I use this same bottle mix + hydro pack water combination for 2hr+ MTB rides. I have never had the sense that that hydro pack is making me overheat, and I ride in some pretty warm weather on a regular basis.

FWIW, I really like the USWE hydro packs. They’re pricey, but worth it, IMO. High-quality gear.

Last edited by Eric F; 09-10-23 at 11:17 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 09-11-23, 01:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
No hydration pack for me. I would rather have 2 bottles in the triangle, a bottle in my jersey, and a bottle on the bars in a snack bag. Get everything off my back- please!

My gravel frame has an under the downtube bottle mount. I have used all 3 mounts, then added a Wolftooth B-rad 4 to give space for another bottle in the main triangle.
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...s/b-rad-system B-RAD 4

In the races I have participated in, I use the supply stations. Even if its a 100K race, stopping for 2min every 25K can be nice for body position, comfort, etc. I would rather carry just 2 large bottles and refill whats gone every 25K than carry water on my back and in 2 bottles on the bike.
I am never going to win any of the gravel races I participate in, so my perspective comes from a participant trying to do their best vs a participant trying to win.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-11-23, 03:49 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
No hydration pack for me. I would rather have 2 bottles in the triangle, a bottle in my jersey, and a bottle on the bars in a snack bag. Get everything off my back- please!
I'm the opposite. Other than bottles, I tend to prefer to carry stuff on my body, rather than on my bike.
Old 09-11-23, 05:44 PM
tempocyclist

Originally Posted by Koyote
In your shoes, I would only choose a hydration pack if I expect to be in an efficient pack or paceline that might blow through the aid stations. By carrying enough fluids, I could stay with them right to the finish. But if the race will get strung out, or I think most others will stop to refill, or I simply won't be competitive, I would rather skip the pack and refill bottles at the aid stations.
I'm hoping to be "competitive" in my own way and finish as fast as possible (obviously not going to hang with the pros). This will be my first real race of this type so I don't know how it'll pan out. If I end up in a good group and they don't stop, I know my stubborn self won't stop either, even if I'm out of water. That'll end badly for me...

Originally Posted by Eric F
When I did BWR San Diego in April (6 hours of ride time), I had 2 bottles with Skratch Super High Carb mix, and a 2L hydro pack of plain water. I also carried an extra baggie of drink mix powder, but never used it. This was in addition to some snacks, and making use of a couple of aid stations (ice cold Cokes!). For me, it was perfect, and I will use the same approach for another similar-length gravel event next month.
Thanks. I think I'll give the hydration pack (water-only) and two carb-filled bottles approach a test on my next longer ride. Try and carry everything I need, then only stop if necessary or if I fancy that Coke! 😎
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 09-11-23, 10:02 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by tempocyclist
I'm hoping to be "competitive" in my own way and finish as fast as possible (obviously not going to hang with the pros). This will be my first real race of this type so I don't know how it'll pan out. If I end up in a good group and they don't stop, I know my stubborn self won't stop either, even if I'm out of water. That'll end badly for me...

Thanks. I think I'll give the hydration pack (water-only) and two carb-filled bottles approach a test on my next longer ride. Try and carry everything I need, then only stop if necessary or if I fancy that Coke! 😎
Be careful about pacing. It’s easy to get wrapped up in a group that is rolling fast while you’re feeling good in the first couple of hours, and you end up limping home, desperately trying to play catch-up with your body’s fuel needs.

Definitely test things out before hand to figure out what works and what doesn’t for you.
Old 09-12-23, 02:04 PM
DeoreDX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
I'm doing a similar gravel race, 60 miles I'm guessing will take me a little over 4 hours at a fast casual pace. Myself and a couple of buddies aren't in it to win it. Just riding to finish and enjoy ourselves. For my first race I decided to use a frame bag and put a bladder in it. Then will stick a bottle on the underside of the downtube filled with scratch I will fill up at aid stations if needed. Small soft flask in the back pocket with 120g of carbs (Water + Sugar + Dextros). Extra food and gu in the frame pack.

Last edited by DeoreDX; 09-12-23 at 02:09 PM.
Likes For DeoreDX:
Old 09-17-23, 10:30 PM
tempocyclist

Originally Posted by Eric F
FWIW, I really like the USWE hydro packs. They’re pricey, but worth it, IMO. High-quality gear.
Did a test ride with my current hydration pack. It was "okay but not ideal" as the pack is only a cheap one and wasn't very comfortable or user friendly. I've ordered a USWE Outlander Pro now! Apparently it's what all the cool kids of gravel racing are using...
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 09-17-23, 10:41 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I’m using this one… https://uswe.com/en-us/c-mtb-pack-3-black-blue

It’s the same 2L hydro pack as the one you got, but adds a removable 1L external storage pouch, which I have found that I like the flexibility of. It can be used as a stand-alone tool (or whatever) pouch that fits in a jersey pocket for shorter rides when I’m not using the hydro pack.
Old 09-18-23, 12:37 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
On the question of putting carbs in the pack, I have heard of triathletes just throwing their bladder away after an event. Of course, they are paying big $, so it's not exactly a dent in their event costs. The pelican bladder I have seems like it would be pretty easy to clean though.

I used to use a hydration pack all the time for long rides. I tried again recently, and carrying the weight was uncomfortable. I have never had much trouble with mine being sweaty, the airflow is pretty good. Someone told me that hydration packs lead to dnf on long rides. He was talking about longer rides than 5 hours though.
Old 09-18-23, 01:13 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Someone told me that hydration packs lead to dnf on long rides. He was talking about longer rides than 5 hours though.
Without a reasonable justification why, I have a hard time believing that one. Not only from my own experiences, but from what I see being used in endurance events.
Old 09-19-23, 07:42 PM
tempocyclist

Someone told me that hydration packs lead to dnf on long rides. He was talking about longer rides than 5 hours though.

Not sure I'd believe that. I've never heard of a hydration pack causing a DNF before! Hydration packs are very commonplace in pro gravel racing, with many courses taking well over 5 hours.

Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 09-20-23, 11:38 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts

This was about 600 miles into the 1050 mile Flint Hills Ultra gravel race. And yes, he did finish – and set a FKT record.

Last edited by Koyote; 09-20-23 at 11:44 AM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-20-23, 01:55 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

you guys are awfully literal.

I have finished a 1240 km grand randonnee while wearing a hydration pack. The bladder I had was pretty annoying, it would leak if you didn't get the cap on right. That happened to me at a somewhat unpleasant point of that 1240 km ride. I never did figure out why the cap was placed where it was. Fortunately, they lost a lawsuit and had to redesign, and the new one is much better.

Last edited by unterhausen; 09-20-23 at 02:06 PM.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-21-23, 05:06 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
I use one of these USWE Outlander. I highly recommend it. Very comfortable and very popular among high-level gravel racers.

Dylan Johnson did some wind tunnel testing with a hydration pack and found that it was actually slightly more aero-efficient with the pack on.
Likes For Clipped_in:
Old 09-21-23, 06:11 PM
tempocyclist

Originally Posted by Clipped_in
I use one of these USWE Outlander. I highly recommend it. Very comfortable and very popular among high-level gravel racers.
My USWE Outlander arrived in the post yesterday. I'll be giving it a test later today! 🙂
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 09-23-23, 09:21 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by Clipped_in
Dylan Johnson did some wind tunnel testing with a hydration pack and found that it was actually slightly more aero-efficient with the pack on.
After GCN did a test where they found out an aero belly was more efficient I grew one. I wonder if this hydropack will help more.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-23-23, 10:42 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
I may be late to this thread. So far I see no one has suggested a CrankTank. I have the 4 liter version I use for hot dry rides in the desert of Eastern Washington. If you are carrying all that water weight anyways, why have it human mounted? Why not down low & centerally located?

https://adventurehydration.com/

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 09-29-23, 10:10 AM
Chris(NJ)

Bikes: Aethos (inbound), Pivot LES -XX1, Ibis Hakka -Force1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Only time I wish I had a hydration pack was during RPI. After the first big climb, the downhill was so washboarded (is that a word?) out that mine and obviously a LOT of other people's water bottles were spit out. It looked like a water bottle graveyard. Problem was that I didn't realize until after the downhill ended and I wasn't climbing back up that thing. So I was stuck doing the entire century w/ 1 water bottle. Wasn't a good situation.
Likes For Chris(NJ):
Old 10-01-23, 12:21 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ)
washboarded (is that a word?)
Yes, it is where I come from!

Another benefit to a hydro pack over bottles when riding offroad is that the mouthpiece doesn't get covered in dirt.
Likes For Clipped_in:
Old 10-30-23, 12:13 AM
tempocyclist

UPDATE: I completed my gravel race carrying two bottles and the USWE Outlander hydration pack!

- I didn't notice the additional weight, just over 1L of water with carb mix
- The pack sat high and tight, hardly moving even over some super rough gravel (I saw many ejected bottles)
- I did have to stop at the final feed station, as I needed one additional bottle of water
- I also stashed by phone in the pack to free up an additional jersey pocket
- On the last steep climb of the day I released the clasp to unzip my jersey when I got a little hot
- Really rate this pack thanks, a great recommendation!

Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 10-30-23, 03:46 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

My 73mi ride/race on Saturday was fueled by...
1.5L water in my USWE hydro pack
2 bottles with Skratch Super High Carb mix
4 Clif Shot gels
1 pack Skratch Energy Chews
1 Skratch Energy Bar

At the 40mi rest stop, one of my bottles was empty, and I refilled it with plain water. I never touched that one again. At the finish, I still had 2 more gels, a baggie of white power (1 dose of high-carb mix), another pack of gummies, and a Powerbar protein bar.

For events like this, I set my Wahoo computer to alert me with "EAT!" every 30 minutes. For this event, I alternated between a big swig from a bottle and a gel pack at each alert, at a minimum. I was hitting the bottle in between alerts, as well, and regularly drinking from my hydro pack. As far as food and drink setup, I really like how this works for me.

Because I started with clothing pieces that I knew were going to be removed though out the day, I kept the middle pocket of my jersey empty at the start, and used a seat bag for my tools (I generally dislike bags on my bike). I finished the day with my arm and knee warmers stuffed into the top of my hydro pack, and my vest in my jersey pocket.

Last edited by Eric F; 10-30-23 at 03:51 PM.
Likes For Eric F: