Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Old dura-ace crank

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old dura-ace crank

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-11, 07:12 PM
bradleyroyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old dura-ace crank

Hello

In the mid 1990's I bought a univega road bike for $200 andd have since ridden the wheels of the bike. I would like to continue riding it.
When I bought the bike I noticed that a threaded insert had been screwed into the pedal holes in the cranks that apparently reduced the hole size from about 9/16 to about 3/8. I'm guessing this is so a more modern pedal could be installed.
The other day I was riding and noticed the left pedal was loose. When I attempted to tighten it back into place I noticed the threads on the insert had been damaged and would no longer allow the pedal back into place. The bike shop told me there was nothing they could do with this and told me I would need to either buy an older crank with the smaller hole in it or find a new insert.
I have 2 questions. The first one is, what are these threaded inserts called? The 2nd question is, are these inserts threaded with the lefty tighty right loosey deal like left pedals?,,,,,,any suggestions are welcome,,,thanks in advance
Old 02-22-11, 07:28 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
A picture would be nice, but I'm guessing that you have Dura-Ace "Dyna Drive" cranks. These had an extra-large hole for a special pedal. Shimano also sold a reducer so standard size pedals could fit, and your best bet would be to hunt down another set. Here's what they look like: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...pedal-76174296

On the other hand, if the crank took a standard pedal and someone previously fixed it with a Helicoil insert, you'll have to find someone with the special left-hand-thread Helicoils. It sounds like the original one is toast.

Does your crank look like this?

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 02-22-11, 08:05 PM
cinco

Bikes: Forty of them

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
The goofy Dyna-Drive "system" was also used on the regular (non-AX) 7200 series cranks. I was lucky enough to get the weird pedals with my weird crank and finding some of those may be your best bet. Here are some I found on ebay and here appear to be some on a site I know nothing about, though they may be sold out. Good luck.
Old 03-01-11, 12:11 AM
bradleyroyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dura-Ace reducer

Hi, Thanks for the input.

I think your dead on with the shimano reducer. I don't have a real critical eye but the picture looks right and yes I'm pretty sure those are the cranks.

So I'm gonna try and buy a set of reducers, got ya. Another obvious question,does that reducer screw in like a left pedal with the "lefty tighty righty loosey" deal? I would think that it does but I ask because I'm having trouble getting it loose so I want to be sure before I put any real force on it.

I'd like your opinion on one other thing. Givin that I'm more of a commuter, I've been looking at getting a cyclo cross or some other commuter type bike. I'm wondering if there's a market for the univega or the parts on it that would help me pay for the new bike? I'm not really dialed into the old bike officonado circles so I'm not sure what's hot and what's not.

Thanks in advance. Happy pedaling

Bradley
Old 03-01-11, 04:25 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Drive side pedals have right handed threads. Non drive side pedals are left hand threaded - every time. At least, so far and so far, for me, includes thousands of old bicycles...
Old 03-01-11, 07:22 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
^Its Super Randyjawa^
Able to leap stacks of bicycles.
I think we need to all pitch in and get you a cape or a mask or something. Maybe a shop apron with a giant "R" on it.

Thats a great picture. Along with the great work that you do, I think you are a superhero.

You're not one of the crazy bagpipers from Thunder Bay that goes to Applefest in Bayfield Wisconsin are you?
Old 03-01-11, 07:24 AM
pinch1967

Bikes: Somec ,Eddy Merckx , Basso Ascot ,Specialized Allez pro , cervelo,

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nice Pic Randyjawa !!!!any keepers in the bunch ????
Old 03-01-11, 07:51 AM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Drive side pedals have right handed threads. Non drive side pedals are left hand threaded - every time. At least, so far and so far, for me, includes thousands of old bicycles...
Man, I need to make the trip up there and go through that TARDIS of yours, that looks like an old shed on the outside
Old 03-01-11, 08:06 AM
old_dreams

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Behold!

If you build it they will come!
Old 03-05-11, 03:44 AM
bradleyroyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What else would fit?

Well obviously I'm asking my questions in the right place. If I cant find another reducer and I don't want to use the Dyna-drive pedals, what kind of crank will fit in this old bike and get me pedaling again?
Old 04-18-11, 10:03 PM
bradleyroyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
alternative to dyna-drive

Well I've pretty much struck out on dyna-drive pedal adapters. Do any of you vintage bike buffs know what arms i can use in place of these dyna-drive ones?
Old 04-18-11, 10:35 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Fat Guy
You need new crank arms that take standard pedals. You may need a new bottom bracket, as well. I'm guessing that your BB is 107mm in length, and had JIS tapers. Since you never supplied pictures or told us a model number, this is just a guess.

Your best bet is to buy a new crankset and the proper bottom bracket for it.
+1. The bottom bracket shell itself is probably standard English threads, so it'll accept just about anything currently produced. Alternatively, a 107mm length square-taper BB will take many currently-produced crankarms.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..