Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A Solution: Crank pedal stripped

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-13, 09:31 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts

Here is a solution I went with for those who find out it's been stripped out too much for helicoil or if helicoil cost more than you are willing to pay.

I went to a local machine shop and had them drill out the pedal itself and used a washer on the back of the crank to attach the pedal. It's been going strong and near permanent. Just letting others know so you don't have to throw out your crank, especially if it's a nice crank. I was nearly in tears when pedal fell off my 105 crank. This fix was so cheap. I had two LBS wouldn't touch it since they didn't want to be liable for the crank, was told if it was a cheap crank they would... Yay for local machine shop
Old 12-19-13, 09:45 PM
buffalowings

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad
Here is a solution I went with for those who find out it's been stripped out too much for helicoil or if helicoil cost more than you are willing to pay.

I went to a local machine shop and had them drill out the pedal itself and used a washer on the back of the crank to attach the pedal. It's been going strong and near permanent. Just letting others know so you don't have to throw out your crank, especially if it's a nice crank. I was nearly in tears when pedal fell off my 105 crank. This fix was so cheap. I had two LBS wouldn't touch it since they didn't want to be liable for the crank, was told if it was a cheap crank they would... Yay for local machine shop

Nice solution! Although it would be way better to avoid stripping the crank in the first place..
Old 12-19-13, 10:07 PM
zymphad

Originally Posted by buffalowings
Nice solution! Although it would be way better to avoid stripping the crank in the first place..
I completely agree!
Old 12-19-13, 10:15 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts

...could you possibly explain this for me in other words and phrases ?
Because I've read it three times and still can't visualize what you've done.

We do this a lot at the bike coop, and if there's a cheaper alternative,
it would help some of our patrons a great deal. thanks.
Old 12-19-13, 10:18 PM
zymphad

Machine shop drilled a hole in the back of the pedal, the steel part. Tapped and then used a washer to attach the pedal. It's very stiff and working well. No flex at all.

Last edited by zymphad; 12-19-13 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-19-13, 11:00 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...thx.
Old 12-19-13, 11:09 PM
2 wheeler
Ancient Clydesdale

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure....

(make sure your pedals are tight)
Old 12-20-13, 12:30 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Machine shop drilled a hole in the back of the pedal, the steel part. Tapped and then used a washer to attach the pedal. It's very stiff and working well. No flex at all.
I still don't get it. Used a washer to attach the pedal? Do you mean a bolt through a washer (from the back of the crank) into the new pedal threads?
Old 12-20-13, 12:42 AM
dralways

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Translation = we need video
Old 12-20-13, 01:05 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
MS Paint will do.

I'm stuck at which end of the pedal is the back.
Old 12-20-13, 05:24 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
OP...your technical description is seriously lacking. No idea what you did. Drill a hole in the pedal? With standard pedal spindle thread, a washer and nut won't work because there will be inadequate thread engagement....thread depth on a pedal is about the same as the crank arm thickness. Also, if you cut a counterbore on the inboard side of the crank arm to create clearance for a nut, then you dramatically weaken the spindle attachment to the arm. I wouldn't ride it.
Helicoil or...aluminum weld, redrill/tap or new crank are the safe solutions.
Old 12-20-13, 05:38 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Drill into pedal threaded end and tap pedal. Install pedal in stripped crank arm. Bolt/washer on inside of crank then thread into pedal. Tighten bolt.???? maybe this

NOTE-good idea to add a lock washer between bolt head and washer and/or some Loctite.
Old 12-20-13, 06:57 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
He used a large head bolt and washer (to catch on the back side of the crank arm) that threaded into the drilled and tapped pedal spindle. For example if we are talking about the right hand pedal, the bolt points from the back of the crank arm to the right side of the bike INTO THE PEDAL SPINDLE. If the pedal spindle is too long and goes through to the back side of the crank, it could be necessary to grind if off shorter so the bolt can draw it tight into the crank. Only question I have is how should you manage this on the left side, with right or left handed threads to correspond to how that pedal is normally attached to the bike. If left handed threads, it might be hard to find someone able to do that and also hard to find the necessary bolt. I suppose you could just try normal right handed threads and bolt and use Loctite.

Years ago I fixed an aluminum crank arm by drilling it out to a larger hole and threading in a solid disk to fill the hole. The disk was then drilled and tapped to the correct diameter and thread for the pedal to attach normally. That was very elegant and nearly undetectable, but it was expensive to have done and wouldn't work with carbon fiber. In that case OP's solution is helpful.
Old 12-20-13, 07:37 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Drill into pedal threaded end and tap pedal. Install pedal in stripped crank arm. Bolt/washer on inside of crank then thread into pedal. Tighten bolt.???? maybe this

NOTE-good idea to add a lock washer between bolt head and washer and/or some Loctite.
Belief you and Robert are right about what the OP did. A ridiculous kluge for the simple fact that drilling/tapping a female hole in the threaded end of pedal spindle not only weakens the spindle dramatically in cantilever/vertical loading but an undersized bolt threaded into the threaded spindle is axially weak as well. So the design is severely compromised.
The notion of a precipitous failure when sprinting out of the saddle comes to mind. Dangerous.
Old 12-20-13, 08:33 AM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
But 105 cranks are really pretty cheap. Much cheaper than a Dr. visit. Why not replace it? Purchase a used one or a lessor quality crank? Not something I would ride but I'm old and have done my share of foolish things too.
Old 12-20-13, 08:39 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 99Klein
But 105 cranks are really pretty cheap. Much cheaper than a Dr. visit. Why not replace it? Purchase a used one or a lessor quality crank? Not something I would ride but I'm old and have done my share of foolish things too.
Of course. Even under ideal circumstances a pedal can snap off. Drilling a spindle? Whoops.
We all learn from our mistakes...provided avoid the big ones and live.
Old 12-20-13, 08:48 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

In the case of the crank I fixed by filling with a solid, threaded disk and re-drilling the hole the crank was French threaded and vintage with nostalgic (not me, but a friend) value. So the repair made some sense. And the job was extremely elegant. Not only that but the shop did the work as a favor by a friend, no charge. That is tough to beat.
Old 12-20-13, 08:55 AM
R1lee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Epoxy
Old 12-20-13, 09:00 AM
zymphad

Whoa, didn't realize it was confusing, thought I described it clearly. I'm not technical with tools etc, that's why I brought it to a machine shop. It's a really simple, very simple fix. Nothing complicated.
- Also this shop installs hundreds of helicoils a week and have helicoils in all sizes, except the 9/16-20. For helicoil 9-16-20 doesn't exist, it's not in their catalog, have to go with some bike specific recoil. Shop laughed, asked who decided to use 9/16-20 and thought this was a good idea? Suffice to say, they think bike industry are dicks.
- Also I didn't mean for this fix to be say, good for racing. I don't have any experience with racing and what kind of stress it would put the pedal through, but I ride about 20-30 miles a day + commute to work and this fix has been solid, no flex at all.
- Was told I would not be able to unscrew this easily by hand.

Only thing I worried about was clearance between crank and chain and for this job it is good. Never hits chain, on the lowest gear, which is also a non-issue since I'm not strong enough rider to be on that gear. 34/50 - 11-28 gearing.

Last edited by zymphad; 12-20-13 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-20-13, 09:40 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
Unior threaded inserts are made in this size but I have no idea about how they compare to helicoils. Still, that's a neat fix.
Old 12-20-13, 11:11 AM
rpenmanparker 

Whoa, didn't realize it was confusing, thought I described it clearly. I'm not technical with tools etc, that's why I brought it to a machine shop. It's a really simple, very simple fix. Nothing complicated.
- Also this shop installs hundreds of helicoils a week and have helicoils in all sizes, except the 9/16-20. For helicoil 9-16-20 doesn't exist, it's not in their catalog, have to go with some bike specific recoil. Shop laughed, asked who decided to use 9/16-20 and thought this was a good idea? Suffice to say, they think bike industry are dicks.
- Also I didn't mean for this fix to be say, good for racing. I don't have any experience with racing and what kind of stress it would put the pedal through, but I ride about 20-30 miles a day + commute to work and this fix has been solid, no flex at all.
- Was told I would not be able to unscrew this easily by hand.

Only thing I worried about was clearance between crank and chain and for this job it is good. Never hits chain, on the lowest gear, which is also a non-issue since I'm not strong enough rider to be on that gear. 34/50 - 11-28 gearing.

OP, please take no offense, because we really are trying to be helpful. It is that two important technical terms that you have used in your posts are wrong. You said you used a washer to attach the pedal, but you meant a bolt (with washer or not). That's a big and confusing difference. The you said you are not strong enough to pedal the lowest gear, but you must have meant the highest gear, the one using the smallest rear cog. Lower gears are easier to pedal, higher gears are harder. Just trying to help you out.
Old 12-20-13, 11:35 AM
zymphad

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
OP, please take no offense, because we really are trying to be helpful. It is that two important technical terms that you have used in your posts are wrong. You said you used a washer to attach the pedal, but you meant a bolt (with washer or not). That's a big and confusing difference. The you said you are not strong enough to pedal the lowest gear, but you must have meant the highest gear, the one using the smallest rear cog. Lower gears are easier to pedal, higher gears are harder. Just trying to help you out.
Thanks, I don't take offense, this is a great forum.

FYI for others wondering, those marks on the washer and crank are not scrapes. It's salt. Roads are very salty. Been wiping down bike for 20 minutes everytime I get home past week.
Old 12-20-13, 12:10 PM
2 wheeler
Ancient Clydesdale

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Belief you and Robert are right about what the OP did. A ridiculous kluge for the simple fact that drilling/tapping a female hole in the threaded end of pedal spindle not only weakens the spindle dramatically in cantilever/vertical loading but an undersized bolt threaded into the threaded spindle is axially weak as well. So the design is severely compromised.
The notion of a precipitous failure when sprinting out of the saddle comes to mind. Dangerous.
Agreed.

I'm sure that the OP is proud this "fix", but there are serious and dangerous issues with the execution that could very well result in catastrophic failure.

I wouldn't ride out of the saddle on a bike with a mod like that.
Old 12-20-13, 12:13 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Just make sure it stays tight. Every time you stomp the pedals, you are putting body weight plus shock load on that pedal. That's a lot of force on a cantilevered structure. Because of the rotating action of the pedals, the interface will be under a rotating load which might cause problems with the bolt trying to loosen over time and material wear as the pedal shaft tries to rotate with respect to the crank arm. Hopefully the bolt is stainless.

I would seriously put an Allen key to check tension before and after each ride until you replace the crankset. You have also weakened the spindle of the pedal, so be sure to check periodically for bending. I would not view this fix as permanent, but merely as a measure allowing you to ride for a few months until you can find a new crankset at a good price.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 12-20-13 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-20-13, 12:16 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 wheeler
Agreed.

I'm sure that the OP is proud this "fix", but there are serious and dangerous issues with the execution that could very well result in catastrophic failure.

I wouldn't ride out of the saddle on a bike with a mod like that.
I don't think any failure from this fix will be catastrophic unless the OP ignores any signs of impending failure. What you will likely see is the pedal start to loosen and play develop at the interface. This assumes a good quality bolt was used. If the bolt is normal mild steel, there might be problems.

I say this because if the interface is tight, the bolt should be in pure tension with all bending loads taken up by the shoulder of the pedal axle and the formerly threaded part of the pedal axle itself taking up shear (as is the normal situation). If the interface loosens at all and play develops, then the bolt and washer starts taking up shear and bending loads, which is not good since the bolt is undersized and will fail fairly quickly under these conditions.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 12-20-13 at 12:20 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.