Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano SL-M310 3 speed question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-22, 10:53 AM
XE007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello bikeforum,
I have a technical question regarding this front derailleur shifter.

Does anyone know if this left 3 speed shifter has a cable pull ratio of 1:7 as the 8 speed right shifter?
I want to use this shifter for my 8 speed rear derailleur for a simple 3 speed setup.

I have three 1.8mm thick cogs with 3mm spacers between them giving me 4.8mm of cog spacing.

I only want to move to friction shifting as a last resort.

Thanks. I checked internet search but no concrete answer.
Old 06-18-22, 11:27 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Somewhere buried in the archives, someone has measure front derailleur cable pull.

I personally feel it would be an absolute miracle that a Shimano 3 speed FD shifter matched the pull needed for an 8 speed, not 6, 7, or 9, RD pull.

I have often thought that if someone wanted an “almost” single speed it might be possible to run 2 or 3 cogs and just have minimal shifting.

The first hurdle would be having the ability to set limit screws to just a few cogs. You can use longer screws, but you might lose contact with the stops.

If that is possible you can use a right shifter and just block off the un-needed shifts.

As for your FD shifter for RD shifting, if by chance it is “somewhat” close to any RD speed pull, and you can break apart a cassette with full cogs, you might be able to space it match the pull; within chain width reason.

It is an interesting question that hopefully someone has tried to tackle.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 06-18-22 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-18-22, 11:59 AM
XE007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I personally feel it would be an absolute miracle that a Shimano 3 speed FD shifter matched the pull needed for an 8 speed, not 6, 7, or 9, RD pull.

I have often thought that if someone wanted an “almost” single speed it might be possible to run 2 or 3 cogs and just have minimal shifting.
Thanks. That is what I feared. Knowing the cable pull on this front shifter would really help. I simply got tired of the market pushing for more and more cogs making biking not so fun. I am glad I still have my ene friction thumb shifter but indexing a 3 speed would be so easy. I wish I had not taken my bike apart to get it painted just to test this lol.
Old 06-18-22, 03:01 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

But an easy work around is to use a 7 or 8 speed right trigger shifter and just use the first 3 clicks.

People have blocked off shifts for years. I’ve run 7 cogs with 8 speed shifters. You need to make sure the low limit screw is not set too close that it wedges the shifter pawl.

The only caveat is setting the RD limit screws to cover only 3 cogs. If you can do that you’re should be home free.

John
Old 06-18-22, 09:20 PM
XE007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
But an easy work around is to use a 7 or 8 speed right trigger shifter and just use the first 3 clicks.

People have blocked off shifts for years. I’ve run 7 cogs with 8 speed shifters. You need to make sure the low limit screw is not set too close that it wedges the shifter pawl.

The only caveat is setting the RD limit screws to cover only 3 cogs. If you can do that you’re should be home free.

John
Thanks again. I will definately look at that. I did not want to consider it because I have a very short straight handlebar (putting together a cruiser folding bike) and my DiaCompe brake handles,which seem bulky, take up a lot of room on the right side with my grips.

Thanks and if I test the pull ratio using the 3 speed once I am done rebuilding the bike, I will report back with the pull ratio.
Old 06-19-22, 12:57 AM
70sSanO

Originally Posted by XE007
Thanks and if I test the pull ratio using the 3 speed once I am done rebuilding the bike, I will report back with the pull ratio.
That would be beneficial.

John