Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Custom 3D Printed Small Parts?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-22, 07:34 AM
rourkefan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Hi, was wondering if anyone could help. I bought a 3ttt stem that hinges (a 3ttt evol I think) but the seller broke the faceplate! I felt bad as he said he had had a stroke so didn't kick up a fuss, but now I'm dying for that little piece!

The cheapest they seem to go is 15 on ebay, which is more than I spent on the stem! I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to get parts like this printed out? Perhaps even in different colours etc? I have no 3d modelling experience or a copy of the original piece unfortunately.

Alternatively, rate my bodge jobs out of 10.

What it looked like on fleabay

The broken piece

Like this if you cry every time

Red electrical tape?

Latex tube?

At least this cap is still present
Old 03-28-22, 07:53 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 2,312 Posts
So the faceplate referenced is just a snap on cover of the metal hinge? I sure hope so because I don't have a good feeling about using a 3D plastic on an otherwise vital safety device (safety as in keeping your handle bars secure, who here has seen the results of a handlebar breaking away from a stem while riding?)

My concerns with these types of questions is less for the OPs (sorry to sound like I don't care) but more for others who read this type of stuff and have less abilities to assess the situation and forge ahead (sort of pun intended), making their load supporting part out of a material with far less strength.

As long as the thread makes clear what the 3D part is for and what it isn't I'm OK with cosmetic bits being plastic; 3Ded, machined, cast/molded independent. Andy
Old 03-28-22, 08:09 AM
rourkefan

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
You're absolutely right - I guess it keeps muck out of the hinge, but otherwise cosmetic.

I feel like I could probably measure the important dimensions, or even send the stem out to a maker. I'd rather spend more money on a craftsperson and get something cool and unique than pay over the odds for NOS stuff on fleabay.

Hinge mechanism

The two little hinge pins are recessed, that's how the plastic part clips in
Old 03-28-22, 08:25 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 2,056 Posts
From my limited experience, the expense has come from creating the file, not the actual printing.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-28-22, 08:25 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 740 Times in 385 Posts
Wouldn’t having this 3d printed cost more than $15, unless you were making a whole batch?
Old 03-28-22, 08:41 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
My take is that you got a screaming deal on that stem for under $15 and spending another $15 for a faceplate still makes it a great deal and saves the time spent finding another solution.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 03-28-22, 09:43 AM
rourkefan

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Y'all are no fun. I've decided to buy some thermoplastic and smoosh it in there to make a frankincense monster of a front nugget.

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
My take is that you got a screaming deal on that stem for under $15 and spending another $15 for a faceplate still makes it a great deal and saves the time spent finding another solution.
Is this a special stem or something? It's going on my '67 Holdsworth dressed as an always-outdoors fixie. Steal is reel.
Old 03-28-22, 02:10 PM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by rourkefan
Is this a special stem or something? It's going on my '67 Holdsworth dressed as an always-outdoors fixie. Steal is reel.
Well, it's not legendary but still a good stem and used ones are selling for a lot more than you paid in these times. The cover is mostly aesthetic so any solution you come up with I'm sure will be fine.
Old 03-28-22, 11:50 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something. Wouldn't epoxe hold the two halves together and you could clean it up to easily pass the "invisible at 6 ft" test?
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-30-22, 06:23 AM
rourkefan

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
A happy ending

Originally Posted by Camilo
Maybe I'm missing something. Wouldn't epoxe hold the two halves together and you could clean it up to easily pass the "invisible at 6 ft" test?
My first thought too. but he only sent the middle bit, no edges! I tried (unsuccessfully) making new sides and epoxying it on before my thermoplastic arrived...

Dunk it in hot water for a minute and it goes all goopy

Pinch off what you need

1st attempt - not bad!

Moulded well around the bar

Created its own grippy nurdles

I imagine you can get this stuff in bulk for peanuts but I was happy to shell out for my box of pretty lolly sticks. Can make more now, with things attached, patterns, shapes - comes in celeste to match the michelin cyclocross tyres I just ordered.....

If anyone's interested the brand I used was called Fix Its and I think is based here in the UK.
Likes For rourkefan:
Old 03-30-22, 07:10 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
Originally Posted by rourkefan
If anyone's interested the brand I used was called Fix Its and I think is based here in the UK.
Is that goop for casting of a part to repop a part or for recreating a permanent decorative part out of the goop, rendering it as a consumable material?
Old 03-30-22, 09:48 AM
rourkefan

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
It's plastic that goes soft at 60-100 degrees-ish. It's reusable, so you can just re-melt the part in hot water and reform infinitely. I would only really use it for stuff where you'd trust any other plastic - perfect for a stem cover like mine, or I suppose a valve cap. Small parts. It's easy to form a pretty accurate impression in, so I imagine you could make impromptu mounts and even form a screw thread on it.
Old 03-30-22, 12:33 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Yes, and you can file it and paint it as well. Only real downside is that in a hot day it can…deform.
I’d be tempted to make one that’s as nice as possible by hand and then find someone to scan and 3d print it. Or several.
Old 03-30-22, 01:17 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Ok... I'll print one out for ya but I need the dimensions...

Need the dimensions...

Last edited by zandoval; 03-30-22 at 02:13 PM.
Likes For zandoval: