Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding with a sprained thumb?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-24, 06:02 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 789 Posts

Don't ask me how, I honestly don't know, but somehow I managed to sprain my thumb. It's pretty painful. Doctor says to wrap it, give it rest, try not to use it, and let it heal for (ready?) 4 to 6 weeks!
I have a charity cycling event coming up in 2 weeks. I tried riding, and it's not too bad until I have to apply the brakes. Have you ever tried not using your thumb for just about anything you do?
Other than loading up on Tylenol, Ben-Gay, Aspercreme and using a heavy tape job the day of the ride (and I WILL be riding!) I'm not sure what else would help. Any suggestions?
Old 04-20-24, 08:29 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6234 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 3,335 Posts
Have you tried a wrist brace? Like the ones they use for those with carpal tunnel that cover much of both the palm and wrist. Though it still probably won't help for the actual times you have to use your thumb to pull.
Old 04-20-24, 08:38 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by Iride01
Have you tried a wrist brace? Like the ones they use for those with carpal tunnel that cover much of both the palm and wrist. Though it still probably won't help for the actual times you have to use your thumb to pull.
Having Carpal Tunnel, I have several braces that help with that. I tried them, they do little to nothing for the thumb, unfortunately.
I dug around in my "oddball first aid" kit (the one with all the leftover stuff you hardly use anymore) and found a finger splint (aluminum with foam backing) and some - please don't laugh - self adhesive, stretchy wrap from the veterinarian, left over from some surgery on one of my pups. Okay, the paw prints look a little funky, but hey, it seems to be working. I may have to ditch the splint in order to get a cycling glove on, though.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-20-24, 10:24 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Don't ask me how, I honestly don't know, but somehow I managed to sprain my thumb. It's pretty painful. Doctor says to wrap it, give it rest, try not to use it, and let it heal for (ready?) 4 to 6 weeks!
I have a charity cycling event coming up in 2 weeks. I tried riding, and it's not too bad until I have to apply the brakes. Have you ever tried not using your thumb for just about anything you do?
Other than loading up on Tylenol, Ben-Gay, Aspercreme and using a heavy tape job the day of the ride (and I WILL be riding!) I'm not sure what else would help. Any suggestions?
I have a painful arthritic thumb joint and use a Thuasne Ligafex Rhizo brace, which I find very effective.
Likes For Artmo:
Old 04-20-24, 10:32 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,313 Times in 1,119 Posts
If it is less painful braking from the hoods rather than the drops maybe hand placement will help. Also two weeks of taking it easy on the thumb may help as well.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 04-20-24, 02:18 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
ICE!!!! It is your friend.
Likes For WaveyGravey:
Old 04-21-24, 05:25 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 821 Posts
Both of my thumbs have become quite problematic with arthritis. I found angling the shift/brake levers with the hoods going inward to give much relief to those joints. Gravel bars with sweep and flare help with keeping it more natural looking.
Alternatively, Soma and Velo-Orange have some options in alternate bars. I have V-O Porteur bar on two bikes, 1 with brifters and one with bar ends and road brake levers. Both work great, anD reduced stress on the thumbs, greatly.
For me, a key seems to be able to get the thumbs turned inward to the body, especially for shifting and braking.
Old 04-21-24, 05:38 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 821 Posts
Ice has been my friend in treating aches and pain for long term. It helps reduce inflammation and pain in my thumbs slightly, for a short period of time. My thumb joints are quite mis-shaped
with limited range of motion and strength.
Trying to text on this phone is s challenge.
Old 04-22-24, 11:32 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,651 Times in 957 Posts
Crazy idea. Rent a single speed with coaster brakes?
Likes For locolobo13:
Old 04-26-24, 10:38 AM
Bald Paul

UPDATE: went back to the doctor, who this time took X-rays. Yup, diagnosis of arthritis in the thumb joint. Great. He told me that cycling and gripping the bars / hoods can aggravate the condition. Well, I'm not about to stop riding, so for now it's padded bar tape, Tylenol, and lots of Ben-Gay before riding.
If it continues to get worse, there's the option of replacing the joint! Sort of like a knee or hip replacement.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-27-24, 09:11 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Very effective for arthritic thumb jointing
Old 04-28-24, 03:30 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by Artmo
Very effective for arthritic thumb jointing
Yes, the doctor recommended trying a thumb brace to immobilize the joint. I picked one up, although it's not the same as the one you show and wear it at night. My thumb feels better in the morning, and now at least I can get through most of day with a level of discomfort that is tolerable.
Old 04-28-24, 04:33 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 563 Posts
You might try Voltaren.

I have arthritis in both wrists/thumbs that is pretty bad. I mostly just live with it. In general a relaxed upper body is a good thing when riding. No hunched shoulders, bent elbows, fingers loosely draped over the bars. All that helps, but some of it is just living with the pain.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 04-29-24, 07:19 AM
Artmo 

Yes, the doctor recommended trying a thumb brace to immobilize the joint. I picked one up, although it's not the same as the one you show and wear it at night. My thumb feels better in the morning, and now at least I can get through most of day with a level of discomfort that is tolerable.
I wear mine for several days, but not nights, and after that there is a lot of relief. When the sharp pain begins again, I repeat the process. I occasionally use Voltarol 2.32%, the UK over-the counter version of Voltaren, but stronger. It helps.
Likes For Artmo:
Old 05-02-24, 05:08 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 339 Posts
You'll find a way. I once spent a late winter and early spring downhill skiing and cycling while wearing a cast for a broken wrist. The cast tore up a mitten and the handlebar tape, and I had to be careful, but I found a way.
Old 05-04-24, 06:46 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 237 Posts
I road with a broken wrist; better than not riding, because either way, my wrist was still broken.

My advice for your situation: skip the BenGay. It doesn't do much and the smell only pisses off everyone around you. Spend the money on good beer. Rationalize that the frosted mug is really a way to ice your injury. Repeat until it feels better and you wax poetically about the real meaning of life. Hint: it has nothing to do with thunbs.