Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trek Mamba Wheel/Fork Issue

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-22, 11:19 AM
DaveC84
Dave C

Bikes: Trek Marlin Garry Fisher Edition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys

Hope you are all well. Looking for some advice on an issue I'm having.

I've had my Trek Mamba Garry Fisher Edition since 2013, Its been a great bike, but over the last 18-24 months ive found that when I fit the front wheel and lock up the QR, I get varying degrees of pad rub, sometimes its barely noticeable and other times its bad, as if the wheel's not sitting level in the fork anymore.

​​​​I take it off, loosen the QR and repeat, making sure its level. But I find myself fighting with it more and more these days, to the point where I need to spend a few minutes getting it sorted before I start riding.

During its last service I spoke with the guy at the bike shop about it and he said he couldn't see anything wrong with it. So I'm thinking it must be me.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Many thanks

Dave
Old 09-25-22, 11:35 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
AL fork dropouts? There's a good chance that the dropout faces have developed some indents from the QR or axle ends and now the axle/QE wants to settle into that indent position. Maybe try another QR skewer? Or wheel? Od can the brake be adjusted to work with the new position the wheel is settling into? Andy
Old 09-25-22, 11:53 AM
DaveC84
Dave C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
AL fork dropouts? There's a good chance that the dropout faces have developed some indents from the QR or axle ends and now the axle/QE wants to settle into that indent position. Maybe try another QR skewer? Or wheel? Od can the brake be adjusted to work with the new position the wheel is settling into? Andy
Thanks Andy

The Forks are Rockshox XC32s and I think there are indents in the dropouts. Perhaps the cheapest solution will be to try a new QR skewer. The brake caliper is on a mount but I'm not sure they can be adjusted sideways to compensate.
Old 09-25-22, 12:03 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

I sure hope the caliper mounting has some lateral adjustment range. It's a pretty poor design to not allow for tolerances drift. Andy
Old 09-25-22, 12:06 PM
DaveC84
Dave C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sure hope the caliper mounting has some lateral adjustment range. It's a pretty poor design to not allow for tolerances drift. Andy
Cheer Andy,

Am I best to tighten up the wheel with a new skewer and if that doesn't resolve it, attempt to adjust the mount slightly?
Old 09-25-22, 01:24 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

That would seem to be the easy thing to do. I suggest an enclosed cam skewer when used w/ a disk brake. The external can QRs don't always get tight enough to keep the axle from shifting w/in the drop out when the brakes are jammed on. Andy
Old 09-25-22, 02:00 PM
DaveC84
Dave C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That would seem to be the easy thing to do. I suggest an enclosed cam skewer when used w/ a disk brake. The external can QRs don't always get tight enough to keep the axle from shifting w/in the drop out when the brakes are jammed on. Andy
Thanks Andy

Much appreciated!