Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh International Copper Paint Code

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-10, 09:35 PM
ronp6

Bikes: Seven Cycles ID8 & steel Axiom; Bridgestones: MB-1, RB-T, XO-1, '85 Orange Gran Velo; electrics: Bionx, Swytch, Eflow Nitro; Merlin early MB; Raleigh Twenty & a lot of comings and goings

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just acquired a second 1974 Raleigh International and it at the tipping point of needing a repaint. Since both are champaign colored I was thinking of copper for a repaint but I don't have a copper to match for paint color. Does anyone have a paint code for the International's copper color? I appreciate your help.
Old 12-08-10, 11:05 AM
ronp6

Bikes: Seven Cycles ID8 & steel Axiom; Bridgestones: MB-1, RB-T, XO-1, '85 Orange Gran Velo; electrics: Bionx, Swytch, Eflow Nitro; Merlin early MB; Raleigh Twenty & a lot of comings and goings

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
bump
Old 12-08-10, 12:25 PM
sciencemonster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a Duplicore paint that seems pretty close - although I've never found it in a store to try it. Burnt Copper:

https://www.amazon.com/Duplicolor-Spe.../dp/B00099BJWU

I've tried mixing testors, but it's impossible. It's a tough color to match. The metal speck is what does it, I think.

https://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home...nge-build.html
Old 12-08-10, 01:56 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ronp6
I just acquired a second 1974 Raleigh International and it at the tipping point of needing a repaint. Since both are champaign colored I was thinking of copper for a repaint but I don't have a copper to match for paint color. Does anyone have a paint code for the International's copper color? I appreciate your help.
I am not aware of ANY existing paint codes or formulations for Raleigh paint. I have taken a bike part into my local auto paint supplier and had them mix up a batch for me, IIRC I had to buy a quart, that is enough to paint 3 bikes with some left over. I have seen NOS Raleigh touch up paint in little glass jars, but after 35+ years I doubt it would be much good. I have gotten lucky with cheap nail polish from the dollar store and been able to use it for touch up paint.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 12-08-10, 04:52 PM
ronp6

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mark, Thanks. It looks close to what I remember on the last one I had. I'll paint a sample board and hunt down an original. Ron
Old 12-08-10, 07:31 PM
sciencemonster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me know how it turns out - I've got a spare copper International frame that needs some help.
Old 12-08-10, 10:30 PM
ronp6

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sure thing
Old 02-27-24, 02:45 PM
systemBuilder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I worked with Brian Baylis to repaint a 1974 Raleigh International in Copper color. Brian liked to use House of Kolor candy paints. The solution we both decided was the closest was the Orange/Copper paint (not sure about the code you'll have to look it up) over a GOLD primer coat. The GOLD primer coat is important to get that rich color. The SILVER primer coat resulted in a far-too-bright far-too-light orange color. If you get an orange paint make sure to test-spray it over both gold and silver to decide which ones looks best with the orange color you settle upon.

My frames were so sun-damaged that parts of them ranged from bright orange to burnt orange so just about any orange is a correct match for a 1974-76 Raleigh International after spending a the right amount of time in the sun!

I suspect we used "Tangerine" over GOLD base (primer) coat (see House of Kolor paint chips below). Incidentally, Brian also painted a bike Emerald Green and I suspect he used the "Organic Green" below (it's a 1970 color, also used on some mid-late 1970s grand prix bikes) - not Chartreuse which was used in 1971, 1972, 1973 - the latter chartreuse (a 50/50 green/yellow) I recently matched by "Alien II Green" from Kia Soul cars in a repaint by Ed Litton and I can show the color match there against an original frame if you are interested.)

The picture below is quite old and its taken in a dimly-lit room, and looks more red than it really is - it is far more orange in bright sunlight! Be aware that whomever was painting the bicycle that day @ Carlton could produce a dark rich orange or a light fluffy orange depending upon how much paint they sprayed - I have seen it at least twice on the 2 forks I owned from copper raleigh internationals. I restore only rescues and was extremely happy with this color from Brian Baylis !! The cross hairs indicate what part of the picture was used to white-balance this photo.

Last edited by systemBuilder; 02-27-24 at 03:00 PM.
Likes For systemBuilder: