Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First road bike (pics) + wheel set upgrade question!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

First road bike (pics) + wheel set upgrade question!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-13, 09:24 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I did say "like", and I see you beating them up more than praising them, and usually recommending the XR-270 instead. I do remember you talking about having most of your demand be for wide rims, but you still considered the whole thing a silly fad. In any case, whatever.
Old 04-03-13, 09:24 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Oh, and for what it's worth, I use the wide rims on all of the Vanderkitten alloy builds that I did. Used the Kinlin XC-279. A couple of sets rode the RVV in Flanders on Sunday. So.....yeah....they have their place.

Old 04-03-13, 09:33 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I did say "like", and I see you beating them up more than praising them, and usually recommending the XR-270 instead. I do remember you talking about having most of your demand be for wide rims, but you still considered the whole thing a silly fad. In any case, whatever.
Meh....I think a lot of that is what people may read into what I post.

In general I tend to like good rims. I also like to pick the right rim for the application. Up until recently most of the wide rims that were on the market just weren't very good rims. The Kinlin, while nice, is very heavy. The a23 Was just having way too many quality issues.

The Pacenti I a great rim. Made by Sun And seemingly using the same alloys as used by Stan's. Unlike Stan's though they actually use enough material to make it a solid and robust rim.

What I never like about any hype, and cycling has always had their fair share of tech hype, is that customers begin to approach you with only "wide" in their minds because that's what the prebuilt guys are offering and all the forums are all saying it. In reality there just isn't that much of a difference between most "wide" rims and what we have been considering to be "normal". In some cases though the differences are large.

With Pacenti really being a 24mm rim and HED coming out with a 25mm C2 rim....the future is plain to see.

Can't wait until everyone wants 25mm wide, 40mm deep alloy...and then wonders why I can build them something lighter, cheaper and stronger in a "regular width".

Old 04-03-13, 09:44 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I wouldn't wonder why you could build something lighter; I'd be thrilled at a cheaper alternative to the 101.
Old 04-03-13, 11:48 AM
seymour1910

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
If you're coming out to the races this weekend you can just stop by and talk to me there.
OP...it's your money so spend it how you choose, but IMHO, if you don't favor anything mentioned before here is a well known wheel builder local to you....probably wouldn't hurt to go out and have a meeting even if it's short. Not everyone gets new wheels because they think the wheels will make them faster, some people just want a solid set of wheels that are lighter and stronger than stock wheels and there is nothing wrong with that. If you search this forum you will find many happy customers riding PSIMET wheels. Just a thought.
Old 04-03-13, 12:14 PM
Mmj12345

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seymour1910
OP...it's your money so spend it how you choose, but IMHO, if you don't favor anything mentioned before here is a well known wheel builder local to you....probably wouldn't hurt to go out and have a meeting even if it's short. Not everyone gets new wheels because they think the wheels will make them faster, some people just want a solid set of wheels that are lighter and stronger than stock wheels and there is nothing wrong with that. If you search this forum you will find many happy customers riding PSIMET wheels. Just a thought.
Definitely... I know that many of the pre-built options suggested already are great wheels that would suit me well. I sent an email to Rob so I'm looking forward to his response. I grew up about 20 minutes away from where he is, so I'm glad I started this thread or I would have never known. And I agree that the new wheels may not necessary make me faster, but IMO investing in an upgrade from a entry-level heavy-ish wheel-set to a nicer set will further my desire to get out and ride the crap out of my new bike, which is something that WILL make me faster/stronger.

Thanks to all for all of the input so far- was not expecting so many replies so quickly!
Old 04-03-13, 01:32 PM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Here are a couple shots of Robs handy work. not my bikes for the record.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20120831_172537.jpg (93.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg
caad9.jpg (70.9 KB, 56 views)
Old 04-03-13, 05:24 PM
Orangejuice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are interested in lightweight, you could have someone build up a set of A23's with sapim CX-Ray spokes and velocity race hubs. This would get you a wheelset just over 1400g (*claimed* as I have never weighed these components myself) which would be a 500g drop from your current set.
Old 04-04-13, 08:46 AM
mynameistaken

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have those Shimano wheels on one of my bikes. Yes they are cheap wheels but they are very solid and smooth. I ride the crap out of them and can't tell much difference from my Mavic ksyrium elites.

I say ride the 2100 gram Shimano wheels and be happy
Old 04-04-13, 03:56 PM
Nick Bain

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mynameistaken
I have those Shimano wheels on one of my bikes. Yes they are cheap wheels but they are very solid and smooth. I ride the crap out of them and can't tell much difference from my Mavic ksyrium elites.

I say ride the 2100 gram Shimano wheels and be happy
+one they are not a bad wheel at all, I have the older r550s which have the nipples at the hub so the rim area is very smoothe looking, they are 16/20 spokes and are very aero for a cheap wheels. thousands of miles and they are still true. yes they are flexy from side to side but its never really been an issue.

That being said, Im all for getting a blingy lightwhiegt set of wheels as long as it has a loud ass freehub.

Last edited by Nick Bain; 04-04-13 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-04-13, 05:09 PM
snidely
Cycliste sérieux

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SonnyLim
I think if you want to upgrade than go to tubular wheelset for that weight, because clincher inner tube could break if you hit the hole in the road. This suggestion because i see my friends who use mavic kysrium elite falling from his bike because he hit the hole in the road, than break the inner tube n the tire explode than he falled n break his shoulder bone, better go with tubular wheelset for over weight people like zipp, campy or fulcrum wheelset
I ride Ksyrium Elites, and am "over-weight". No problems. But then I don't ride through potholes. Around is a much smoother ride.
Old 04-04-13, 05:23 PM
tvJefe
2 fat 4 cycling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mavics are overrated blah blah.
Get custom wheels blah blah.

I love my Mavic SLS's. They are stiff. They are pretty darn light (1395 claimed, and no rim tape needed). And they look great. I only have about 1000 miles on them, but they are still true as can be. I'm at 200# (bike + rider).
Old 04-04-13, 07:12 PM
Christobevii3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pair of the bicycle wheel warehouse and really like them. Have had them for two years and they seem faster than my velocity a23 comp build wheels. I have the basic race build linked earlier and weighing 230lbs on the 24/28 spoke count and have only had to retension the spokes a couple times over two years.
Old 04-04-13, 09:47 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Christobevii3
I have a pair of the bicycle wheel warehouse and really like them. Have had them for two years and they seem faster than my velocity a23 comp build wheels. I have the basic race build linked earlier and weighing 230lbs on the 24/28 spoke count and have only had to retension the spokes a couple times over two years.
how much faster do they seem?