Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Making New Wheels for Sale

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Making New Wheels for Sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-21, 07:18 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
even my utility wheels with dt Swiss e bike hub and 50.00 each rims and triple butted sapim spokes built locally were about 680.00 built by a master wheel smith.
Old 12-16-21, 09:46 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 1,469 Times in 1,018 Posts
I know nothing about wheel building but I suspect it must be like assembling one's own PC -- you do it for a specific combination of components which is not commercially available rather than to minimize costs.
Old 12-17-21, 04:38 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I know nothing about wheel building but I suspect it must be like assembling one's own PC -- you do it for a specific combination of components which is not commercially available rather than to minimize costs.
I have done a few, but more for just being part of knowing the whole bike experience, I am not very good at it, but might try another go soon

there is also a lot of hard learned knowledge, I just ordered a wheel set with white industries T11 hubs, which have different flange sizes on the rear hub, so it will be laces 3 cross on the driver side and 2 cross, without actually having a spoke cross under another spoke. the builder I ordered from does it this way because over time they found this avoided spoke breakage

Old 12-17-21, 04:47 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
You're entering a market full of skilled competitors. That doesn't mean you can't succeed, but you're relying offering generic descriptions and no reputation to compete with existing vendors sporting years of experience, positive reputations and specific offerings.

How many wheelsets have you built? Who is riding your wheels? Where can I see your handiwork? How are you different or better than existing vendors?

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 12-21-21, 07:17 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Don't forget business license, maybe llc, and insurance.
You sell a wheel, it fails, you get sued and lose everything.
Yes. Form an LLC before you sell anything. You'll want a couple million of insurance. If you don't do this, and someone has an accident, they can go after personal property. An LLC (or incorporating) shields your personal assets to some extent.
Old 12-21-21, 09:24 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
And then, once you've demonstrated to yourself that you can do it, it becomes a point of pride not to just buy them off the shelf.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-21-21, 10:02 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
On a related note, I am starting a dental practice. Do youse gots Toof prollems? Call me!

I have never done it b4 but how hard cn it b?
Old 12-21-21, 10:57 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
Like the TV ad goes... "are you a doctor? "No, but I've watched a lot of medical dramas".

This might be a tad harsh on the OP but many here have had their own dreams, and some have actually gone so far as to start their own businesses with insurance/sales tax IDs and other permits and such (including employee requirements like withholdings and unemployment taxes) and know the reality of overheads VS income. Of pride VS consumer opinions and of there being someone else that will do the same job for less. I strongly suggest the OP seek out local small business admin or other start up advice from those with more broad ranging experience and the skills to instruct/teach what's needed to run a business. And try to find an investor so it's not your own $ at risk Andy
Old 12-21-21, 12:48 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 1,469 Times in 1,018 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
And then, once you've demonstrated to yourself that you can do it, it becomes a point of pride not to just buy them off the shelf.
But I cannot resist the siren song of low spoke count; is there even a front hub to lace a wheel using only 18 straight pull spokes like Mavic can?
Old 12-21-21, 01:51 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
But I cannot resist the siren song of low spoke count; is there even a front hub to lace a wheel using only 18 straight pull spokes like Mavic can?
Many moons ago, in the basement of the engineering building of a university, me and my buddy converted the 36 spoke wheels on his cheap 10 speed into 18 spoke wheels using only a set of wire cutters. I don't think we cut spokes out with any pattern or strategy in mind, and the movement of the rims were only vaguely connected to movement of the hubs when we were done. Results were predictably hilarious - test rides up and down the hallway showed it was impossible to keep the bike moving in a straight line.. IIRC, alcohol was NOT involved, weirdly.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 12-26-21, 09:56 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
if you are looking for wheels for your self, you often can't build them as cheaply as shops the specialize...
This may be true, but there is great satisfaction (at least for me) in building the wheels you ride on. This is more than enough compensation for the price difference!
Likes For sweeks:
Old 12-26-21, 10:39 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
On a related note, I am starting a dental practice. Do youse gots Toof prollems? Call me!

I have never done it b4 but how hard cn it b?

Heh... there is the little matter of a license!
Old 12-26-21, 04:12 PM
danallen

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
#cyccommute, since starting this thread I learned exactly what you said about wheels.

For building a whole bike, i really don't have first hand information. There is a youtube guy whose channel is devoted to showing what he has found by building bikes, starting with bargain, high quality carbon fiber frames. He says this route rewarded him with a bike that would cost about twice the amount he had to shell out. In his case, he says his $1,500 plus his time produced a bicycle that would cost $3,000.

For wheels, i finally found a wheel maker i get get my mind around, Bicycle Wheel Warehouse
Old 12-26-21, 04:16 PM
danallen

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
@cyccommute @wgscott
The pride of riding on what I build figures high in my Book of Value

Last edited by danallen; 12-26-21 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-28-21, 05:54 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,371 Times in 720 Posts
For decades I worked in a multi-store chain. At one time it was a matter of bragging rights how well a wrench could build wheels. Durability, perfect roundness, and a customer that was happy and sending in more people for a build were part of the reward. In the past 15 years I discovered increased repair business as a manager and as a wrench and sought out wheel building services as it takes too much time.
An old friend of mine stepped up to the plate. He and I worked together in the late eighties-early nineties. He left the industry to make money, but was into vintage bikes and continued building wheels. The cat is as OCD as they come. Very picky and detailed oriented. He also builds seriously pro level wheels. I started farming out my wheels to him. I provided the parts and labor. All he asked for was 60 bucks a wheel which included manually measuring and calculating spoke length. He also guaranteed the wheels from build defects for 2 years. I provided all parts needed, spokes to his spec. He built the wheels.
Best decision as a wrench I ever made was to have him do all wheel builds. He didn't get rich, more of a side job for him as a single shop does not build a ton of wheels. Between all the stores only my shop outsourced.
I strongly suggest coming up with a real business plan, one that includes providing labor for shops as i outlined above. I promise you will not make enough to live on, but it could produce a fun little side income. When you get really good at turning out consistent quality at a quick rate, then consider building wheels for a wheel company and learn the biz from a corporate side. After a year or two with that, give thought to going out on your own. By this time you may have earned a rising reputation and get noticed.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 12-28-21, 07:02 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
For decades I worked in a multi-store chain. At one time it was a matter of bragging rights how well a wrench could build wheels. Durability, perfect roundness, and a customer that was happy and sending in more people for a build were part of the reward. In the past 15 years I discovered increased repair business as a manager and as a wrench and sought out wheel building services as it takes too much time.
An old friend of mine stepped up to the plate. He and I worked together in the late eighties-early nineties. He left the industry to make money, but was into vintage bikes and continued building wheels. The cat is as OCD as they come. Very picky and detailed oriented. He also builds seriously pro level wheels. I started farming out my wheels to him. I provided the parts and labor. All he asked for was 60 bucks a wheel which included manually measuring and calculating spoke length. He also guaranteed the wheels from build defects for 2 years. I provided all parts needed, spokes to his spec. He built the wheels.
Best decision as a wrench I ever made was to have him do all wheel builds. He didn't get rich, more of a side job for him as a single shop does not build a ton of wheels. Between all the stores only my shop outsourced.
I strongly suggest coming up with a real business plan, one that includes providing labor for shops as i outlined above. I promise you will not make enough to live on, but it could produce a fun little side income. When you get really good at turning out consistent quality at a quick rate, then consider building wheels for a wheel company and learn the biz from a corporate side. After a year or two with that, give thought to going out on your own. By this time you may have earned a rising reputation and get noticed.
This is kind of what I do. My primary customers are bike shops (three of them) one of which directs a lot of customers directly to me. My largest client has their own branded line of bikes and wheels, and I build a few hundred a year for them. They supply the parts, I put em together.
Also, a lot of what they send me are repairs, like replace a broken spoke or just a true and tension.
It has taken a while to get a reputation, but it is steadily increasing by word of mouth to the point where I am as busy as I want to be. It's a retirement gig for me, and provides a nice supplement to my pension, but no way I could support a family or send kids through college on what I make.
For the OP, pre built wheels will never be a money maker. I do keep a small supply of pre builts hanging in my shop, as much for show as anything, and occasionally, I will find a buyer, but custom builds is what customers come to a wheel builder for. They can buy pre builts on line for less than the cost of your parts, even if you have wholesale accounts.
I do keep a stock of rims that are commonly in demand, and a few hubs, but I have a large inventory of spokes and a pro grade spoke cutter/threader that is essential to what I do.
A business license and insurance are a must.
Old 12-28-21, 07:58 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
TiHabanero and Dan Burkhart are the prototype of individual wheel builders who can make it work. They get all of their parts (hubs, spokes, rims) at no cost from bike shops that buy them at wholesale and provide only the skilled labor.

I have a pair of good quality hubs (105 and Ultegra) in excellent condition that were liberated from otherwise trashed wheels. I looked into building these into a wheel set but the retail cost of decent rims and spokes alone exceeded what I could buy good quality complete wheels for.
Old 12-28-21, 09:57 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
TiHabanero and Dan Burkhart are the prototype of individual wheel builders who can make it work. They get all of their parts (hubs, spokes, rims) at no cost from bike shops that buy them at wholesale and provide only the skilled labor.

I have a pair of good quality hubs (105 and Ultegra) in excellent condition that were liberated from otherwise trashed wheels. I looked into building these into a wheel set but the retail cost of decent rims and spokes alone exceeded what I could buy good quality complete wheels for.
I will often get customers in exactly that position. A hub or hub set from a trashed set of wheels that they want rebuilt with new rims and spokes. Or, sometimes the rims are salvageable, but they need a rebuild with new spokes because of repeated spoke breakage. In those cases, I make markup on spokes and sometimes rims, plus the labour.
Old 12-29-21, 05:22 PM
ign1te

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider

Where exactly do you buy your parts from? Here in EU prices are more reasonable. Even if you want DT swiss alpine 3 spokes, you can buy them as a consumer for 0.5 E / piece. Combine that with nipples at 0.1 E / piece and good rim for 30 E. For a 36 H wheel thats about 110 E for a full set.
There is no way that would exceed the price of machine built wheels at ultegra/105 level, if you already have hubs to work from.