Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

cheap tires vs expensive tires

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

cheap tires vs expensive tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-22, 06:58 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Yep that's the one.
That mob has an approx 22Euro charge for delivery whether you order one item or 15 items, so if you get a few of those tyres and other cycling related goodies that will also be priced very well, it is a good way to go IMHO.
Old 03-08-22, 06:42 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by jdogg111
ok. i've seen lots of posts about tires making a difference in speed on here. i can't wrap my head around that. one pedal stroke gets you so far, so fast. as fast as you pedal. so why does a 50 dollar tire go faster than a 20 dollar tire, or am i way off base as to what tire speed even means, as regards to pedal stroke, resistance? i know size can make a difference, as can tread as to the amount of energy used to make a pedal stroke, but as for speed, someone smart explain to me how two of the same size tires, say 700x 25, with same tread , do different things, be it a 20 dollar dept store tire or a 50 dollar bike shop tire.
Tire speed isn't hard to wrap your head around if you look into tires a bit, or have some experience in driving cars with various tires, for that matter. Rather than living life by what you've heard or read on the web, you might just find out in real life. The difference between cheap tires and a nice, fast rolling bike tire isn't subtle. Pick a low end set of tires..they're everywhere, ride them and then switch to a pair of GravelKing Slicks($72 a pair, free shipping). This isn't hard.
Old 03-11-22, 06:35 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
The difference between a cheap set of $20 tires and a set of Rene Herse Superlights is anything but subtle. Massive difference.

Best bang for the buck for a road/gravel bike, IMO.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-11-22, 08:52 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
The difference between a cheap set of $20 tires and a set of Rene Herse Superlights is anything but subtle. Massive difference.

I've turned my hard tail into a gravel bike. I chose some Continental Race Kings 29 x 2.0 for my tires...mostly because I got a good deal on them ($50 for a a pair delivered to my house).

Being that I'm not familiar with Rene Herse tires...what do you think would be their advantage over the Conti tires?
Old 03-11-22, 09:33 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I've turned my hard tail into a gravel bike. I chose some Continental Race Kings 29 x 2.0 for my tires...mostly because I got a good deal on them ($50 for a a pair delivered to my house).

Being that I'm not familiar with Rene Herse tires...what do you think would be their advantage over the Conti tires?
the superlights the first small twig you run over will tear the sidewall on gravel. other than that they are great. If my choice was any of the super light casing stuff I would pick the race kings you have now.

I kinda assume you are riding a little chunky gravel since you converted a hard tail.
Old 03-11-22, 09:39 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta

I don't run the Extralights, since my shop tells me that they are too finicky and fragile. But the Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass tires in the standard casing are among the best I've ever ridden...And they last a surprisingly looong time, too.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-11-22, 09:41 AM
prj71

I live in an area where the gravel changes depending which direction I go. If go 20 miles south of where I live it's more like gravement. If I go 20-30 miles east it's sandy gravel. If I go 20 miles north it's chunk gravel, very loose marble gravel and some sand sections.

Not being familiar with Rene Herse tires I was just curious.
Old 03-11-22, 09:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
So, in sum, the answer to the question is a $50 tire really worth that much more than a $20 tire is "it depends".

Maybe it would be a better thread for an OP to lay out what tires they think are the best values for particular purposes. I'd start it, but I think my choices are rather boring.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-11-22, 09:56 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I live in an area where the gravel changes depending which direction I go. If go 20 miles south of where I live it's more like gravement. If I go 20-30 miles east it's sandy gravel. If I go 20 miles north it's chunk gravel, very loose marble gravel and some sand sections.
An knobby tire in 700 x 45 mm size should be able to handle all those different types of conditions.
Old 03-11-22, 10:01 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I've turned my hard tail into a gravel bike.
I did the same thing way back in 2009 before bicycle industry invented a " proper gravel ' bike...I am still riding those bikes to this day. and have no desire to purchase a " proper gravel " bike.
Old 03-11-22, 10:08 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
I always seem to try out 20-25$ tires based on what I find on sale and feel that I am able to optimize them to run quite well approaching the performance of the much worshipped "GP5K's" . Full disclosure: I have used Conti GP4000's but never the GP5000's.

As far as 20 -25$ tires that are pretty decent - the last couple ones I got on sale were both quite good : Tufo Calibra's and Challenge Strada. Now the TUFO's were just 23 mm but I managed to make the ride fairly supple with latex tubes and moderate (not high) tire pressures. The 25mm Challenge Strada and Criterium tires that I got from Pro's Closet for ~$25 were even more supple and run very nice on my road bike with mid 70's PSI front and mid 80's PSI in the rear. These "cheap" tires don't seem to last all that long with the rear tire sometimes being done in as little as 1,500 miles that is the main down side for me.

PS: I have seen Vredestein tires for cheap prices and also Schwalbe “One” tires for cheap prices. Low cost does not equate to heavy and bloated. Some of these tires only weigh 205 to 270 grams.

Last edited by masi61; 03-12-22 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Remembered more high quality 20$ tires
Old 03-11-22, 10:09 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,834 Times in 2,229 Posts
Is a $50.00 tire expensive?

Does it depend on the price of the bike?

I've been called a 'hard ass', can I ride Gatorskins comfortably?
Old 03-11-22, 10:59 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
The actual speed difference between various tires is so small that it makes no difference to most people who are not racing..
I would make the opposite argument. That people who are less fit will benefit more from a great tire than someone who is very fit.

And I am unfit and need every bit of help I can get!
Old 03-11-22, 11:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Is a $50.00 tire expensive?

Does it depend on the price of the bike?

I've been called a 'hard ass', can I ride Gatorskins comfortably?

This is like those threads on "what do you ____ on long bike rides?" and it turns out after about 15 posts that everybody figures out that they don't agree on what distance constitutes a long bike ride or even if distance vs,. time is the right measure.

I usually buy tires in pairs, so I have to multiply by two. $50/tire is tight on the line for me between what I consider expensive vs. inexpensive. Don't know why, $100 a pair just seems like about the right number.

For me, what I paid for the bike is largely irrelevant, it's more what I use the bike for. I also might think that if I paid less for the bike, I'm justified in splurging a bit on the tires.

I don't know, ask your ass. (Kidding)
Old 03-11-22, 11:17 AM
prj71

An knobby tire in 700 x 45 mm size should be able to handle all those different types of conditions.
Oh hell no. Those with 45s end up walking their bikes on the stuff north of me.
Old 03-11-22, 11:19 AM
prj71

I did the same thing way back in 2009 before bicycle industry invented a " proper gravel ' bike...I am still riding those bikes to this day. and have no desire to purchase a " proper gravel " bike.
Majority of the gravel I ride (mostly to the north) my hard tail conversion will work way better than any drop bar gravel bike. I put some 700 x 40s on my Trek Domane for the easier gravel stuff.
Old 03-11-22, 11:25 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by vespasianus
I would make the opposite argument. That people who are less fit will benefit more from a great tire than someone who is very fit.

I wouldn't make the argument at all. How the heck would we know what other people are going to notice? People need to try things for themselves to know the answer to that. If you tell me you feel a difference and it helps, why would I doubt that?

I suspect that people are "unfit" in about as many different ways as people are "fit", so whether you're going to notice it is going to depend on a lot of things that vary from person to person.

I like that "every bit of help" attitude, makes sense to me--if it's just a little bit more fun and just a little less frustrating, you might be way more willing to keep doing it.
Old 03-11-22, 11:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus

Then maybe those unfit people should always buy the $12,000 plus bikes. After all, they'll benefit more.... <grin>
Old 03-11-22, 11:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Iride01
Then maybe those unfit people should always buy the $12,000 plus bikes. After all, they'll benefit more.... <grin>
You can make the case that reducing tire resistance, which can be done at relatively low cost IS actually something that is more likely to be noticed by an "unfit" rider than a lot of more expensive upgrades. Unlike drag, tire resistance doesn't increase with speed, so you're actually feeling it as you accelerate from zero up through your top speed. Reduction in drag is probably not something you're going to actually feel until you hit some moderately high speed. Also, assuming that unfit riders tend to be significantly heavier than "fit" riders, they're also less likely to feel as much of a benefit in reducing the weight of the bicycle as that reduction is going to be a smaller percentage of the gross vehicle weight (rider+bike) than if they had lighter bodies.
Old 03-11-22, 12:59 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
. One might think that the heavier rider would descend faster...
Tires matter
One might think that if they had never heard of Galileo... Oh that and the fact your friend was probably not as aerodynamic as you.
Old 03-11-22, 01:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by phughes
One might think that if they had never heard of Galileo... Oh that and the fact your friend was probably not as aerodynamic as you.

Not so fast, riders on bikes are not objects dropping freely in a vacuum, and weight trumps aerodynamics:

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/2...20Fonda%20says.
Old 03-11-22, 01:26 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Not so fast, riders on bikes are not objects dropping freely in a vacuum, and weight trumps aerodynamics:

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/2...20Fonda%20says.
I was waiting for that response. There is of course much more to the action of a bicycle descending. Of course his famous experiment was not conducted in a vacuum though. Yes, there is more to it, but still, you cannot assume the heavier person will descend faster. I have read that article before and still am not convinced of their results.

Discounting rider weight, where the weight is on the bike changes how it affects speed. If the weight is on the wheels, the bike may be slower to accelerate down a hill, but it will hold speed better. Of course the person on the bike is not rotational mass. It's just interesting to me.

Frontal area will still come into play, but the smaller person won't have the same mass to fuel momentum so the drag from the air can slow them quicker, the same way they can brake quicker. In that regard, the heavier person has an advantage as they descend. If the smaller person can remain aerodynamic, and maintain a more aero position, and not have any other influence, bumps, or anything else that can disrupt a clean descent, I am not sure the heavier person will always descend faster. Of course the parger person may have a more rounded butt which would smooth out the airflow in the back. Joking aside, the airflow at the rear of a bike accounts for a lot of drag. Smoothing that airflow gi es a huge benefit.

Anyway, bored on the deck of a ship today. Carry on.
Old 03-11-22, 01:43 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by phughes
I was waiting for that response. There is of course much more to the action of a bicycle descending. Of course his famous experiment was not conducted in a vacuum though. Yes, there is more to it, but still, you cannot assume the heavier person will descend faster. I have read that article before and still am not convinced of their results.

Discounting rider weight, where the weight is on the bike changes how it affects speed. If the weight is on the wheels, the bike may be slower to accelerate down a hill, but it will hold speed better. Of course the person on the bike is not rotational mass. It's just interesting to me.

Frontal area will still come into play, but the smaller person won't have the same mass to fuel momentum so the drag from the air can slow them quicker, the same way they can brake quicker. In that regard, the heavier person has an advantage as they descend. If the smaller person can remain aerodynamic, and maintain a more aero position, and not have any other influence, bumps, or anything else that can disrupt a clean descent, I am not sure the heavier person will always descend faster. Of course the parger person may have a more rounded butt which would smooth out the airflow in the back. Joking aside, the airflow at the rear of a bike accounts for a lot of drag. Smoothing that airflow gi es a huge benefit.

Anyway, bored on the deck of a ship today. Carry on.
This much is undeniable, however: "‘When you increase the mass the speed increases by cubic function, whereas if you increase the aerodynamic drag the speed decreases by a square function" It doesn't mean that you can't compensate for the advantages of weight by decreasing your drag, it just means that it's very, very hard to do so. If the heavy guy is wearing a parachute, maybe not so hard.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-11-22, 01:51 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
To address the weight and descending thing........I'd like you to show me a 100kg rando wannabe trying to descend the same pass as a pro that weighs 65 kg. They're not in the same planet in terms of both bike fit and aero tuck, nor skill. Not many mountain passes have nice 6% perfectly straight descents. Most have some hairpins, fast sections, and even small rises to hammer over to descend more. More to it than just "out of control semi truck with no brakes".

Next up, the watt difference alone on some expensive versus cheap tires on almost any "use" from gravel, cross, commuting, or racing can be so large for a pair it could be 5-10% of a person's threshold power. And even higher a % of their day in and day out zone 2 cruising power. Average schmuck has a true hour ftp of 240w and cheapo versus bling bling for a pair is 24w.......that's 10%. That 240w ftp is likely like 160w of zone 2. So a massive % of that power difference.

Even if you don't care to go faster to race around. Perhaps it means you get to see more on your ride in the same amount of time. More smiles due to more miles. Or, it makes your commute a minute or two faster everyday for years. So 200 days a year commuting for 5 years times a minute a day gets you back a whole day of your life. That's nice also.

Then just the road feel being worth a lot.

I get not everyone can afford bling tires. That is A OK. I'm just saying, bling tires can benefit folks in many ways other than "being racy". Shoot, some expensive car tires aren't racy at all. They last longer, ride smoother, ride quieter, and get better fuel mileage during their life. All while being on a minivan. Same thing exists for bikes also. Just because the vehicle is different, the idea applies.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 03-11-22, 01:52 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by livedarklions
This much is undeniable, however: "‘When you increase the mass the speed increases by cubic function, whereas if you increase the aerodynamic drag the speed decreases by a square function" It doesn't mean that you can't compensate for the advantages of weight by decreasing your drag, it just means that it's very, very hard to do so. If the heavy guy is wearing a parachute, maybe not so hard.
As I said, simply bored on a ship. I knew my comment would get a response, and rightly so. I was just stirring the pot.

If course this thread is about tires... I was just furthering the deviation from the topic.

Good response though, and good real info. Physics is fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.