Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cornering Drills

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cornering Drills

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-22, 04:43 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,469 Times in 1,018 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
that is a 40mph turn? even in a car that looks quite sketchy.
Yes, but only if you induce oversteer by lightly bouncing the clutch and dial in the right amount of opposite lock. DORIFTO FTW!
Old 04-22-22, 05:15 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
you can take it at 40+ Mph if you are skilled enough. People do it. Personally I can’t take it over 25 mph. Bikes can take turns harder than cars
Utter BS.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 04-22-22, 05:24 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
What about these?

Old 04-23-22, 04:15 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
I learned cornering at 10 years old. It's 100% leaning and 0% steering.

How I learned to corner is put my hands right next to the stem on the handlebar and do 6 to 10 mph figure of 8's on the neighborhood street (I bet you can also do it in an empty parking lot).

If your hands is right next to the stem in the handlebar, it will be quite difficult to turn the handlebar so the only easy way the handlebar will turn is to lean into the turn and don't even try to steer the handlebar.
Likes For qwaalodge:
Old 04-23-22, 04:40 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
40 mph seems a large exaggeration for "regular" people (if not nearly everybody).
Ok 40 mph might be a bit of a stretch (though you could easily pick up that speed on the hill before the corner.) but there are multiple national champions who ride that corner a few times a month so the bar is really high. I hold myself to a high standard, there’s no reason I can’t be as good as them.
Old 04-23-22, 05:05 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
If you cut through 90% of the BS, only 26 pounds remain.
That's a cheapshot. Kid is a recovering alcoholic and probably homeless.
Old 04-23-22, 05:12 AM
seypat

Get something to use as a course barrier. Go to a vacant parking lot set up a simulated course. Practice. Practice correctly. As with any endeavor, practice is the key to getting better. Maybe install some training wheels during training and wear knee/elbow pads.

Boxes are cheap. Do some dumpster diving and acquire boxes for your practice course barriers.

Last edited by seypat; 04-23-22 at 05:30 AM.
Old 04-23-22, 05:39 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Another good way to train leaning into turns (hence, cornering) is using aerobars. When your forearms is resting on the aerobar, the ONLY way you're going to turn the front wheel is by leaning into turns. Probably practice in an empty parking lot because you have no access to brakes when using the aerobar.

I still use parking lots often but in these days to test bike setup like whenever I change the stem, move the saddle, etc. I do so at 10 pm so at least it's empty of people.
Old 04-23-22, 05:45 AM
seypat

Why don't you use you mad urban cyclist skillz to bunny hop the barrier chain, cut across the grass, bunny hop the chain again, and come out in front of the group? That's what a hard-core urban cyclist/rebel would do. Keeping it real and sticking it to the Man at the same time.
Likes For seypat:
Old 04-23-22, 06:35 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by seypat
Why don't you use you mad urban cyclist skillz to bunny hop the barrier chain, cut across the grass, bunny hop the chain again, and come out in front of the group? That's what a hard-core urban cyclist/rebel would do. Keeping it real and sticking it to the Man at the same time.
im kind of upset because I’ve actually fantasized about that exact thing (bunny hops there) because it’s a sprint point.

unfortunately my bunny hop is super weak. I can’t even trackstand, frankly it’s embarrassing.
Old 04-23-22, 06:40 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
If you take a motorcycle training course you'll then understand cornering. The first thing I was taught was to push on right side of the bar to turn right. The issue that gets people's panties in a wad is the difference between countersteering and countersteering force on the bars. The direction that the tire is pointed doesn't matter. On a motorcycle, if you quit applying a countersteering force, the bike will immediately straighten up. Same for a bicycle, except the force is very small and drop bars confuse the issue. Leaning on the right side to turn right inevitably applies a countersteering force and makes riders think they're ONLY leaning on the bar. If you have a straight bar bike to practice with you'd be able to turn high speed corners, just like on a motorcycle, using countersteering force. I rode the same 10 mile descent with many tight turns 700 times over a 7 year period and never failed to negotiate any of the corners. I now go down some steep descents at up to 57 mph and apply the brakes for a few seconds to get down to around 40 to make a curve at the bottom.

What's impossible to know is how much traction the road provides. I've slid out on sand and finely powdered dirt on asphalt a few times. That has nothing to do with cornering ability. I was going where I wanted to.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 04-23-22 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-23-22, 06:42 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
If you take a motorcycle training course you'll then understand cornering. The first thing I was taught was to push on right side of the bar to turn right. The issue that gets people's panties in a wad is the difference between countersteering and countersteering force on the bars. The direction that the tire is pointed doesn't matter. On a motorcycle, if you quit applying a countersteering force, the bike will immediately straighten up. Same for a bicycle, except the force is very small and drop bars confuse the issue. Leaning on the right side to turn right inevitably applies a countersteering force and makes riders think they're ONLY leaning on the bar. If you have a straight bar bike to practice with you'd be able to turn high speed corners, just like on a motorcycle, using countersteering force. I rode the same 10 mile descent with many tight turns 700 times over a 7 year period and never failed to negotiate any of the corners. I now go down some steep descents at up to 57 mph and apply the brakes for a few seconds to get down to around 40 to make a curve at the bottom.
any books you recommend?
Old 04-23-22, 07:17 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Ok 40 mph might be a bit of a stretch (though you could easily pick up that speed on the hill before the corner.) but there are multiple national champions who ride that corner a few times a month so the bar is really high.
There's no Strava segment for just that corner, but the top times of the college loop show them turning in at ~30mph, hitting the apex at ~25mph and exiting at ~20mph.

I hold myself to a high standard, there’s no reason I can’t be as good as them.
Yup, besides their exceptionally good fortune of winning the genetic lottery and their tireless work, to hone both fitness and skills, there's no reason that you can't be as good.
Old 04-23-22, 07:36 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 790 Posts
I'm generally a fast cyclist and many times I have to take a turn off a busy road (I don't like slowing down), consequently I've learned to take corners at a fairly fast rate. I don't know how I compare to the professionals, but I know I'm better than the average cyclists, but I'm not sure I can teach someone on how to corner at speed, since my body has just learned how to do it without too much conscious thought.

However, no matter how good you are, you're always susceptible at falling in a turn. I rediscovered this fact a few weeks ago, when I was only about a mile from my house (at the end of my ride), I was going slowly and started to make a turn when I saw a jogger in my line, so I adjusted to take the corner in the middle of the street, no big deal since I was riding about 10-mph...so I thought...

Some how I went down hard, very hard on some loose gravel. I take this turn every day at the end of my bike ride, never a problem... This gravel I slipped on is very common on where streets meet on a perpendicular, because for some reason there tends to be a crack that forms on this connection point and that's the source of the source gravel. I still corner at speed, but I'm much more conscious of this loose gravel. BTW, in many instances, this gravel is very hard to see, because it's exactly the same color as the street and it's not a very thick layer.

Old 04-23-22, 09:24 AM
DaveSSS 

Check out YouTube for motorcycle cornering videos. Some do a decent job of showing the counter steering force principle. On a bicycle, all I do is keep the inside pedal up or both pedals neutral, if the curve is sharp enough. There's no real need to apply pressure on the outside pedal. Deliberately trying to create a bike angle lower than necessary is likely to result in the rear tire slipping out.
Old 04-23-22, 09:29 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
That's a cheapshot. Kid is a recovering alcoholic and probably homeless.
BS is BS, regardless of one’s personal situation.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-23-22, 09:32 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,899 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
There's no Strava segment for just that corner, but the top times of the college loop show them turning in at ~30mph, hitting the apex at ~25mph and exiting at ~20mph.

Yup, besides their exceptionally good fortune of winning the genetic lottery and their tireless work, to hone both fitness and skills, there's no reason that you can't be as good.
If you want to be a world class athlete, choose your grandparents carefully.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-23-22, 07:10 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Check out YouTube for motorcycle cornering videos. Some do a decent job of showing the counter steering force principle. On a bicycle, all I do is keep the inside pedal up or both pedals neutral, if the curve is sharp enough. There's no real need to apply pressure on the outside pedal. Deliberately trying to create a bike angle lower than necessary is likely to result in the rear tire slipping out.
I never thought of counter-steering when I learned cornering when I was a kid. We didn't have internet back then.

If I heard it back then, it would probably only confuse me. My take on the matter is whenever you lean, the bike **automatically** counter-steers. It all happens without your knowledge, nor conscious action even when you're just learning.

Bottom line is, you don't even need to know such thing (counter-steering) exist except to explain the principle.

Practice turning purely by leaning without consciously trying to turn the handlebar. It's doable even at low speeds like around 10 mph, safe enough to do in a neighborhood street or empty parking lot. Although higher speeds would make it easier to stay balanced, albeit may result to bigger injuries if you fall. The principle is the same at much higher speeds.

It took me a month of daily practice give or take to perfect cornering technique. Although it won't be after many years I would do my first >40 mph descent. By that time I didn't have any problems at all. The 10 mph cornering experience works the same at 40 mph.

Last edited by qwaalodge; 04-23-22 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-24-22, 04:24 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 790 Posts
This video shows how a bike's steering works by locking out the handlebar. It shows how much we learn how to ride intuitively.

Old 04-24-22, 07:11 AM
DaveSSS 

About leaning and countersteering force. If countersteering force is applied, the bike leans itself into a turn and the rider should lean too, so the torso remains parallel to the bike, just like you would if riding straight ahead. There's no need for body leaning to start a turn. I've ridden many thousands of high speed turns on mountain descents that prove that. I apply countersteering force to make a turn and vary the force to increase or decrease the turn radius. I've never ridden off the road due to poor steering technique. I love watching pro cyclists ride off the road because they came into a turn too fast, so they just quit steering and go straight into the ditch rather than slide the rear tire out.

Regarding the use of aero bars, there's plenty of ability to steer through a high speed turn while using them. It does not force a rider to lean to turn. I sure wouldn't ride a mountain descent on them.

You'll also find among the motorcycle videos the fact that very low speed turns are made by turning the front wheel in the same direction as the turn. There's a transition speed where countersteering is required.
Old 04-24-22, 12:57 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 4,860 Times in 3,006 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
That sounds a bit more realistic for a skilled rider on the limit. From the photo, 40 mph seemed very ambitious!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-24-22, 02:09 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Adapting from The Art of Racing in the Rain, The bike goes where the eyes go.

Great read, by the way. If it doesn't make you at least choke up you have no heart.
My dog had to console me a few times during that read. The movie was a bit of a disappointment.
Old 04-24-22, 02:24 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Read this. More than you might think applies to bicycles.

Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well, Updated & Expanded 2nd Edition (CompanionHouse Books) The Must-Have Manual: Confront Fears, Sharpen Handling Skills, & Learn to Ride Safely Paperback – November 12, 2013

https://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Mo...dp_ob_title_bk
"Twist Of The Wrist" is good too but more focused on track
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 04-24-22 at 02:29 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 04-24-22, 03:06 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 942 Posts
Ok 40 mph might be a bit of a stretch (though you could easily pick up that speed on the hill before the corner.)...
I noticed that drop-in. 40 mph in the turn might be a big stretch.

...but there are multiple national champions who ride that corner a few times a month so the bar is really high. I hold myself to a high standard, there’s no reason I can’t be as good as them.
There are lots of reasons: skill, experience, weight, equipment, and decent medical coverage.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-24-22 at 03:15 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 04-29-22, 05:26 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
1) google Davis Phinney. The “cash register” won more bike races than any American cyclist, at least since Major Taylor, most of them crits. Dude knew how to handle a bike.

2) find people who corner and descend well; follow them.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.