Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

I will be car free at the end of February

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-16, 09:57 PM
Crazy Cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 2005 Pontiac and I will be car free at the end of this month. I have had my car for about 4 years, previously my sister owned it and before that, the original owner had it. The car is paid for.

The past year has been the worst for it, I have had a lot of problems with it, from constantly burning out headlights, to the power steering suddenly not working, to the price of gas. Last weekend while I was at the bank and sitting in my car, someone backed up into it and when got out to get there insurance info, they just drove away.

I have actually been thinking about getting rid of it sooner but at the end of the month, it will be gone. I am actually looking forward to April when I can start riding my bike again and not have to depend on my car to get around.
Old 02-13-16, 12:24 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
What will you do in March?
Old 02-13-16, 12:30 AM
timsataurus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm happy for you. How much do your currently get around without the car? Just remember that you made a choice, and choices require dedication to transform them into habits. I personally enjoy the mindfulness which is used to complete errands without a car. For instance I need to remember my pannier when going to the bank and post office. Since I may have a package. Or, when going to work having clothing and food separated for convenience. I also learned to layer clothing which is not used when riding home in the afternoon and having it in the bottom of the pannier. This makes it so gloves and lights are on top.

Give it a go and try sooner even before you give up the car. Have fun riding
Old 02-13-16, 01:46 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by timsataurus
I'm happy for you. How much do your currently get around without the car? Just remember that you made a choice, and choices require dedication to transform them into habits. I personally enjoy the mindfulness which is used to complete errands without a car. For instance I need to remember my pannier when going to the bank and post office. Since I may have a package. Or, when going to work having clothing and food separated for convenience. I also learned to layer clothing which is not used when riding home in the afternoon and having it in the bottom of the pannier. This makes it so gloves and lights are on top.

You're right about needing to make it a habit over time. All these small details require thought at first, but after a while it just gets to be routine and automatic. I don't know why it's hard to establish good habits, but pretty easy to acquire bad ones!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-13-16, 02:54 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Cyclist
I have a 2005 Pontiac and I will be car free at the end of this month. I have had my car for about 4 years, previously my sister owned it and before that, the original owner had it. The car is paid for.

The past year has been the worst for it, I have had a lot of problems with it, from constantly burning out headlights, to the power steering suddenly not working, to the price of gas. Last weekend while I was at the bank and sitting in my car, someone backed up into it and when got out to get there insurance info, they just drove away.

I have actually been thinking about getting rid of it sooner but at the end of the month, it will be gone. I am actually looking forward to April when I can start riding my bike again and not have to depend on my car to get around.
Hit and run is a felony or something...I hope you got the license and a good description for the authorities...

Did you ask your insurance company what to do about this?

It's been ten years now since I sold my 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix (Mom sold it to me) and while you live in one of the more populous areas of Manitoba, overall MB is a huge province, unlike my Treasure Valley of SW Idaho and SE Oregon. Sounds like you may get stifled getting about to work.

By the way, 2005 wasn't a great year for Pontiacs. Find a maxi scooter or road legal motorcycle if you can and go car light.
Old 02-13-16, 07:13 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

I was car free in Winnipeg for several years. The city was pretty easy to get around by bus or bicycle. The countryside around Winnipeg was even easier to get around by bicycle.

Last edited by Machka; 02-13-16 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-13-16, 08:22 AM
Crazy Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
What will you do in March?
I will be walking or public transit.
Old 02-13-16, 08:26 AM
Crazy Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timsataurus

I currently use the car about 2 days per week. I do a lot of walking as well. Before I got the car, I was without a car for about 25 years without any problems. I only got the car because my sister was finished with it and she wanted to get another car so instead of selling it, she gave it to me.
Old 02-13-16, 08:30 AM
Crazy Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Hit and run is a felony or something...I hope you got the license and a good description for the authorities...

Did you ask your insurance company what to do about this?

It's been ten years now since I sold my 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix (Mom sold it to me) and while you live in one of the more populous areas of Manitoba, overall MB is a huge province, unlike my Treasure Valley of SW Idaho and SE Oregon. Sounds like you may get stifled getting about to work.

By the way, 2005 wasn't a great year for Pontiacs. Find a maxi scooter or road legal motorcycle if you can and go car light.
I didn;t have a chance to get the plate number, they backed up and hit my bumper and when i got out of the car to get their info, they drove away. I tried to get their info but they were already down the street. 2005 was a bad year for Pontiacs, they had problems with the power steering and ignition problems but they never told the public.
Old 02-13-16, 08:32 AM
Crazy Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
P.S. my brother has a car and when I need a car for something, I can borrow his.
Old 02-13-16, 09:09 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I did exactly the opposite this February and purchased an SUV on February 1st...My 3 year LCF experiment has come to an end. I am now car-light as I was before for many years. In my experience being car-light is a much better option then being car-free.
Old 02-13-16, 11:44 AM
TuckertonRR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on where you are & what provisions you've made. Also depends on your lifestyle. Do you need to get to places that are very difficult to get to without a car on a frequent basis? You can always rent a car if you need one for a day or two. (assuming you still keep your licence). I've learned a bit over my almost year being car free. Between walking, biking, and public transport, I've only run into a few difficulties, and then I called up a taxi. Bit expensive, but still cheaper than a car!
Old 02-13-16, 12:42 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It also depends on your motivation and goals. In my book car lite is still a huge negative impact on natural resources and our environment.
Old 02-13-16, 02:42 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by Walter S
It also depends on your motivation and goals. In my book car lite is still a huge negative impact on natural resources and our environment.
For every 1 car-free person who decides to live below his/her privileges in order to have the smallest carbon footprint possible with hopes of saving the world, there are 100 000 others who generate a much larger carbon footprint. So all your efforts to save the world mean absolutely nothing....I don't understand why anybody would punish themselves and practice self flagellation in order to save the planet...Look at it this way: using air conditioning and heating in your house also has a negative impact on environment.
Old 02-13-16, 03:32 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I didn;t have a chance to get the plate number, they backed up and hit my bumper and when i got out of the car to get their info, they drove away. I tried to get their info but they were already down the street. 2005 was a bad year for Pontiacs, they had problems with the power steering and ignition problems but they never told the public.
Talk to the bank officers. They may have a security video that shows the incident and the license plate of the car.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-13-16, 03:50 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wolfchild
For every 1 car-free person who decides to live below his/her privileges in order to have the smallest carbon footprint possible with hopes of saving the world, there are 100 000 others who generate a much larger carbon footprint. So all your efforts to save the world mean absolutely nothing....I don't understand why anybody would punish themselves and practice self flagellation in order to save the planet...Look at it this way: using air conditioning and heating in your house also has a negative impact on environment.
To each his own. I'm living with respect for nature in my own little world. It's not costing me. I find my practices to be rewarding.
Old 02-13-16, 05:55 PM
timsataurus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... practice self flagellation in order to save the planet...
I'm not car free to save the planet. I'm car free because I enjoy to riding my bike. I also lack a willingness to pay so much just to for transportation. If you want to use a vehicle that's great. I just don't understand how you relate car free with "self flagellation".

Tim
Old 02-13-16, 09:46 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Meh. I see occasional surveys in which the number one reason given for not riding a bike is fear of the cars on the road. Somewhere there is a potential cyclist who would ride if there was one less car. After her, there's another who would ride if there were two fewer cars, and so on. Sure, this is likely just a happy fiction, but there is no doubt that there are indeed people who would exchange their driving habit for active transportation if there were fewer cars. Conversely, there are likely current cyclists who will return to their cars if more people do the same. Personally, I'm happier being part of the solution rather than apathetically being part of the problem. YMMV.

Also, there's the Schistosomiasis stories to bear in mind. When the Nile was dammed, this disease became a huge problem because the snail population exploded. When China created the same problem, they asked the people near the water to kill every snail they saw. As a result, they didn't have the same problem with Schistosomiasis as the Egyptians did. Each person just did a little, but the result saved many more people from disease.

I suppose if you think of walking, taking transit and cycling as huge chores, none of this has any meaning for you. Different strokes, I guess. For me, being in a car is extremely uncomfortable and even slightly stressful. If I can avoid it, I do. Cycling, on the other hand, is always a joy and walking is a close second.
Old 02-14-16, 01:15 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
So, the fact that I've never robbed a bank has had no meaningful impact on the thousands of robberies that were committed by other people. So I might as well goout and rob a bank.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-14-16, 05:10 AM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For every 1 car-free person who decides to live below his/her privileges in order to have the smallest carbon footprint possible with hopes of saving the world, there are 100 000 others who generate a much larger carbon footprint.
Yes, driving a car is a privilege granted to me by the society I live in. It's not one I think I'm living below. Jumping off a cliff is also a choice I might make.

I'll pass.
Old 02-16-16, 04:27 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts

The worrying part is that you think you depend on your car now. If that's the case, where will you be when it's gone? Or do you not really depend on it?

I had a similar situation in that my car had some serious repair issues to be addressed, and I just decided to get rid of it. It was a fairly easy choice for me because the car would sit, undriven, for months at a time, so I looked at the cost of repair vs. the cost of booking air and/or train travel for my few out of town trips for the year, the figures were close, and once I factored in the aggravation of keeping a car running that I rarely used, it was an easy decision.

It's been great for me. I wish you luck.
Old 02-16-16, 05:02 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
I did exactly the opposite this February and purchased an SUV on February 1st...My 3 year LCF experiment has come to an end. I am now car-light as I was before for many years. In my experience being car-light is a much better option then being car-free.
Why three years then?
Old 02-16-16, 05:58 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by cooker
Why three years then?
To be honest, it's because LCF is a huge PITA in this modern society. It's only exciting and fun at the beginning but after a while it just becomes an obstacle which makes life more difficult, I would never become voluntarily car-free. It feels really good to have that extra option of using private vehicle on some days... LCF is ok to do temporarily but I would never want to make a long term or permanent lifestyle out of it.
Old 02-17-16, 12:57 AM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kudos. I've never had my license and love it. Have owned a few cars and had my permit but decided it wasn't for me. My mom was the same way. Passed at 57 without ever having her license.
Old 02-17-16, 11:09 AM
TuckertonRR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by walter s
yes, driving a car is a privilege granted to me by the government. It's not one i think i'm living below. Jumping off a cliff is also a choice i might make.

I'll pass.
fify

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.