Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I like building bikes for local musicians...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-22, 05:25 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts

I have bought many bikes and partial bikes for all kinds of reasons and I tend to accumulate stuff in my basement. Lately I am putting stuff together for local musicians. This guy was quite short so an old Windsor bottom of the line bike with aluminum rims, an old 600 crank and a few odds and ends is his new bike.

I'm also including an IKEA bag for the rack.
Old 03-19-22, 05:33 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
suntour power shifters on the stem are perfect for that

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 03-19-22, 05:48 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Originally Posted by squirtdad
suntour power shifters on the stem are perfect for that
I know right? I test rode it and it's tiny for me but the shifters rock.
Old 03-20-22, 06:31 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
VGT Luxe as well. That's a fine city bike. Good on you.
Likes For clubman:
Old 03-20-22, 06:51 AM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I have bought many bikes and partial bikes for all kinds of reasons and I tend to accumulate stuff in my basement. Lately I am putting stuff together for local musicians. This guy was quite short so an old Windsor bottom of the line bike with aluminum rims, an old 600 crank and a few odds and ends is his new bike.

I'm also including an IKEA bag for the rack.
This intrigues, makes me curious. What kinda musician is ridin' this? A folky mandolin player, a grunge guitarist, a free boppin' sax player?
Likes For fabiofarelli:
Old 03-20-22, 08:06 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Nice work and super happy your gifting musicians.
Wondering if you work/worked for Cat being mechanical and from Peoria ?
Old 03-20-22, 12:01 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by fabiofarelli
This intrigues, makes me curious. What kinda musician is ridin' this? A folky mandolin player, a grunge guitarist, a free boppin' sax player?
Blues influenced kid who plays a Les Paul through a 15 watt tube head and a celestion vintage 30. He is being recruited by a couple of local bands. I teach him off and on. Mainly he is broke and could use cheaper gas.... This thing is pretty cheap that way.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 03-20-22, 12:05 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by joesch
Nice work and super happy your gifting musicians.
Wondering if you work/worked for Cat being mechanical and from Peoria ?
I welded there for many years and hated it. It's why I don't begrudge kids who try to make a living other ways. I build them cabinets and help with electronic gear when I can. I gig a lot and helping these guys and girls just feels good. I gave away and sold three three speeds before this

that's two of them.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 03-21-22, 11:05 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,023 Times in 665 Posts
Good for you! All the above posted bikes look great. You seem to be able to find some good bikes in Peoria, and your parts stash and build skills show. The Windsor has a Flickstand. Nice. I had a Windsor International, their lowest model, it was a good solid bike for me. You have a double leg kickstand on the Raleigh. And is that a dynamo hub on the AMF/Sears three speed? Good job. I know all the bike are in good running order because you went over them and made them so. I

I like seeing bikes like these fixed up and used. Could you keep the pictures coming when you build another bike. Stories to go along with the bike about the musician like you did above are good too.

(Don't let some of the other forum members know this, however, I prefer seeing what is posted above over a nicely done Italian racing bike. I do like those too, but this is more my thing.)
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 03-21-22, 12:39 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts

I sold them other stuff.
Old 03-21-22, 03:23 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Good for you! All the above posted bikes look great. You seem to be able to find some good bikes in Peoria, and your parts stash and build skills show. The Windsor has a Flickstand. Nice. I had a Windsor International, their lowest model, it was a good solid bike for me. You have a double leg kickstand on the Raleigh. And is that a dynamo hub on the AMF/Sears three speed? Good job. I know all the bike are in good running order because you went over them and made them so. I

I like seeing bikes like these fixed up and used. Could you keep the pictures coming when you build another bike. Stories to go along with the bike about the musician like you did above are good too.

(Don't let some of the other forum members know this, however, I prefer seeing what is posted above over a nicely done Italian racing bike. I do like those too, but this is more my thing.)
It's my thing too. I love the classic racers to look at but I really dig somebody riding to the grocery.
Old 03-21-22, 03:24 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by bamboobike4
I sold them other stuff.
They give me other stuff waaay too often. Seems like they think it shows respect. Personally I just enjoy gigging and riding and playing with bikes.
Old 03-28-22, 01:51 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Small young women's new bike. The seat will go up for her I'm sure. She isn't a musician per se, but she is a cook in a few places where I and many others play and she supports the bands. When I asked if she needed a bike she said yes immediately....