Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What Carradice Saddlebag?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-08, 02:49 PM
samsmeg
Wear a helmet

Bikes: 1975 Dawes Super Galaxy 531 tubes, 1998 Condor Squadra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got 2 bikes, ones a tourer and the other a steel racer. Basically I want the racer to be also possible to commute on because sometimes the 26 miles to work get a bit sameish on one bike!

I've been looking at the Carradice saddlebags as I don't want to put a rear rack on the racer but still want room to put in:

Shoes
Shirt
Trousers
Lunch
Lock
Spare Tube
And my tools
and poss. shoe covers and extra cyling layer/waterproof in winter

So its either a:

Super C Saddlebag
Super C Saddlepack
or the Nelson Longflap saddlebag

have any of you guys had experiance with these different sized bags and there actual capacity to hold similar things to me?

Any help would be appreciated

Sam
Old 10-19-08, 03:33 PM
barturtle

Bikes: Jamis Coda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Carradice site shows the Super C saddlepack as being only 8 litres, so I doubt that one will be big enough.

I don't have the models you list, but I do have the SQR Slim, which at 16 litres is slightly smaller than the Nelson Longflap. I can fit my laptop, clothes, lock, rain cape and tools in it quite easily, I have room for a light lunch as well. However putting my shoes in there might be an issue (I ride in them, so I've never tried it). Though the shoes might be possible if the laptop wasn't in there.

So the bags I think might work for you considering the load you wish to carry are the Nelson Longflap (though it may be a tight fit), the Super C Saddlebag, Camper Longflap (in order of increasing size)

Hope this helps.
Old 10-19-08, 03:43 PM
samsmeg
Wear a helmet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. The price of the SWR Slim is pretty good considering you get the quick release system with it as well. If you can get a laptop in yours then I'll definately be able to get my soft soled shoes in there and my clothes. My lunch most days is based around a box of pasta or couscous and some fruit or something so sounds like it should all fit in your one or the other larger ones.

Your reply definately helped because I can't really tell from the pictures how much room there is in those bags!
Old 10-19-08, 04:47 PM
clayface
Pedalpower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got the regular Nelson (not the Longflap) and capacity is quite good. It can hold tools, spare tube, smalish pump, lights (at daytime I prefer to keep them inside), camera, and food and a reserve of water for a whole day and still have lots of spare room to carry my little dog (a Yorkshire mongrel) if I strap the jacket outside. Rain protection is also good; not watertight but bits inside stay dry in heavy showers.
Old 10-19-08, 07:26 PM
sringlee

Bikes: Too numerous to note

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which Carradice?

For all that stuff, the Camper Longflap. More than enough room for your goods and the occasional stuff to take home from the office. I have one and it is well sized while not too bulky. Best if you also use the Carradice bag support beneath it. The Barley is too small; the Nelson Longflap is probably too small. The Camper is waxed cotton, more waterproof than the nylon bags.
Old 10-19-08, 08:06 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
I have the Super C Saddlebag. It's great. It would hold everything you listed. I take mine to the grocery store all the time. If you are carrying heavy weights regularly I would recommend one of the racks made particularly for this type of bag as the swaying when outof the saddle (read up hills) can be annoying.
Old 10-19-08, 08:16 PM
NeezyDeezy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own the following:

Barley
SQR Tour
Carradura Saddlebag

I have also tried:

Camper longflap
Nelson longflap

For your needs, I would recommend the SQR tour as the best. It is also the most functional/convenient in my opinion.
Old 10-20-08, 06:06 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I carry most of what you are planning to carry in a Barley. Here is my suggestion: leave a pair of shoes, a towel and a couple pairs of slacks in the office. That way you won't have to lug as much gear every day. On the occassional days that you drive, take home dirty laundry and bring clean towel, slacks, etc. BTW, the Pendle has 50% more volume than the Barley. It should be plenty large enough. If you get a bag larger than you need, you are tempted to carry too much gear. Think like a backpacker -- keep your load to a minimum. I have bike commuted now for close to two years using a Barley and have never felt the need for a larger bag. However, I generally drive one day a week, so I carry larger, heavier and more bulky gear on the days I have my truck.
Old 10-20-08, 10:27 AM
elbows

Bikes: Masi Speciale Randonneur, Fuji del Ray, Co-Motion Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Nelson (not the longflap). It will hold tools, lunch, a lock, and clothes for the day quite comfortably. Pants and shoes would make it a tight squeeze, but you could probably do it -- but doesn't it make more sense to leave shoes at work (or ride in your work shoes)?

However, the Nelson is a little on the large side for using without a bag support. It tends to sag on the fender a bit, and if I didn't have fenders it would be at risk of rubbing against the tire. The Super C is significantly bigger. I doubt it would fit unless you're very tall/your seat is very high (I'm about 6', for reference).

It can be hard to calculate how much clearance you need. The bags will sag when empty, so the stated dimensions can be misleading.

If you have fenders or are tall, I'd recommend the Nelson. Without fenders, I'd go for something smaller and try to leave shoes, pants, etc at work on days when you ride the tourer. Unless you're willing to put a bag support on the racer, then then Super C would probably be fine.
Old 10-20-08, 10:32 AM
Quickbeam
Beer is delicious!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like I always say when someone is trying to decide between bags of any type:

Always err to the side of larger!

You'll never regret having extra space but you will regret not having enough. It's a no brainer IMO.
Old 10-20-08, 11:32 AM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
The long flap feature is really handy. After you've filled the thing up you discover half way through your ride that adding one more thing would really make your day. Unfold the long flap, plop that new thing on top, and buckle down.

It adds to the cost but the Bagman quick release is handy from both a support and a convenience point of view.
Old 10-20-08, 12:27 PM
xcapekey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My suggestion is to just cut to the chase and get the Camper Long Flap There will be no existential doubt about whether you should have bought the big one...

I use mine for commuting and for bike touring and I highly recommend it. The last saddle bag you'll ever have to buy...

https://epicureancyclist.blogspot.com...mper-long.html
Old 10-20-08, 03:42 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
the "junior" model is a little skinnier than the long-flaps, but deeper.

it'll hold all that gear you listed, and more - you can run it without a rack too.

my race videos
Old 10-20-08, 04:46 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
On your "steel racer", check the distance between seat and tire or brake-
might need a lowsaddle longflap. I have one that I put on my CrossCheck. My son
used it last summer on a multi day ride. A good balance of capacity and compactness.
Old 10-23-08, 03:48 PM
samsmeg
Wear a helmet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I've got a list now from all your helpful replies of the suitable bags that would do the job:

Camper Longflap- bag rack needed
Super C saddlebag- bag rack needed
SQR tour- probably a bag rack needed
Barley- I can't leave my clothes at work because I don't have a lock and my desk is on the 2nd floor and I have to completely change so something like the Barley is too small really, thankyou for the suggestion though.

And the Nelson- which would fit everything with a squeeze- maybe have to leave shoes at work

So I'm still stuck! I'm not sure which one to get (can't get the Barley). And I know i definately need one as I used a rucksack yesterday on my racer; it was not good on my neck although I did get a record time of 1hr 26mins for 25.9 miles! Its not the hilliest of routes but still I'm quite proud! A saddlebag would make it 100x more comfortable!

Any final suggestions?

Sam

p.s just found this one on ebay- 290267752305 - i did ask him how much it would fit but he just said about the 3 inch extendable flap and that it would be too little if I had a jacket/blazer/suit however you call it which I don't so its ok.
Old 10-23-08, 06:02 PM
barturtle

Bikes: Jamis Coda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To try to help a bit more:

I'll point out the SQR Slim (and I'll assume the Tour as well) is semi rigid, it has a inner support that prevents it from drooping so there is no need for a rack to keep it off the tire. But they aren't joking about the required seatpost requirements(slim, tour), as you need to raise and lower the far end of the back to move it on and off the mount and if you don't have enough space, you'll hit the tire/seat before you clear the mount.

If I were going with one of the other saddlebags, I'd invest in the Bagman Q/R as it supports the bag so no rack is required to keep it off the tire.
Old 10-23-08, 09:49 PM
xcapekey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on some quick release...you don't need to get a rear rack...

I like the Carradice SQR release (when you can find it)...

OR

You could get the "Silver Hupe" from Rivendell which will also keep the bag off your tire for only #30 and can be easily removed from your bike...
Old 10-24-08, 02:31 AM
samsmeg
Wear a helmet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right, I do like the idea of a rigid bag, would make easier accessing things probably. It may just be I get the SRQ Tour or Slim. Thanks for everybody's help, I can always rely on writing on here and getting the best info!
Old 10-24-08, 06:34 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
carradice

What is the issue with a bag rack? I use a Bagman rack with my Barley and frankly it would be unusable without it. I got the bag first without the rack, and it swayed and hit my legs on every pedal stroke. The Bagman rack is not too heavy and you hardly even notice that it's there. You also can get it with a quick release so it's easily removed.

BTW, you can get much better prices and selection on Carradice bags buying directly from England. I bought mine from SJS Cycles because I couldn't find any US dealers that had them in stock. It cost about $20 less than the US dealers, even with shipping costs, and arrived in about a week.

www.sjscycles.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0447.jpg (105.5 KB, 56 views)
Old 10-24-08, 08:17 AM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Three things I like about the Bagman QR that Tarwheel has pictured above:

1. The QR is quick and easy both going on and off. You don't mind taking it with you into the store or library. The QR is also not obvious to the casual bagsnatcher if you leave it on your bike.

2. By tilting the Carradice up more level it makes it easier to reach back there and root around for something while you are underway. You also don't panic when you find you've ridden the last twenty miles with the top unbuckled.

3. It's easy to move from one bike to another and all your bike saddles don't have to have bag loops.
Old 10-24-08, 07:02 PM
martianone

Originally Posted by tarwheel
W
BTW, you can get much better prices and selection on Carradice bags buying directly from England. I bought mine from SJS Cycles because I couldn't find any US dealers that had them in stock. It cost about $20 less than the US dealers, even with shipping costs, and arrived in about a week.

www.sjscycles.com
+1 for SJS. First time I ordered something from them was a couple years ago, a small Carradice bag.
All the US sellers were out of stock. About four weeks before it arrived, had ordered it for my teenager's birthday; came a few days late. I've ordered a three times since with better turnaround, specifically
ordered a couple items on 10/19, received them today [10/24], pretty good service. Watch out for shipping costs. For my most recent order shipping was 11 pounds [reasonable], I had planned to add an additional 10 pound item to my order, but it increased my shipping to 25 pounds; do I didn't order that item.
Old 10-24-08, 07:03 PM
martianone

Originally Posted by tarwheel
W

www.sjscycles.com
+1 for SJS. First time I ordered something from them was a couple years ago, a small Carradice bag.
All the US sellers were out of stock. About four weeks before it arrived, had ordered it for my teenager's birthday; came a few days late. I've ordered a three times since with better turnaround, specifically
ordered a couple items on 10/19, received them today [10/24], pretty good service. Watch out for shipping costs. For my most recent order shipping was 11 pounds [reasonable], I had planned to add an additional 10 pound item to my order, but it increased my shipping to 25 pounds; so I didn't order that item.