Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Love Dogs, Hate their owners.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-10, 05:32 PM
Epicus07

Bikes: See Signature.

Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts

I love dogs. I almost always say hi to them (except the little ones). I've been doing regular training rides on the Interurban Trail (paved cycling path). In the last two weeks i've encountered numerous idiots that let their dogs run all over the place without a leash (illegal in my city). Twice i've had to perform an emergency stop because a dog decided to change direction at the last second and dart out in front of my wheel.

Today was the last straw. I was riding no hands, stretching and enjoying the beautiful day and i ended up being too late to identify what was a smashed wet pile of dog crap that sprayed all over my brand new Roubaix.

How hard is it to be a responsible owner?

/rant off

I hate to say it but drivers have been more courteous than dog owners lately. WTF ?
Old 02-16-10, 05:52 PM
alpinedog

Bikes: Scott R2 Addict!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
True, that trail is getting out of hand, but at least you can ALWAYS count on some fine women run/walking.... Makes the ocasional "issue" ok with me.....
Old 02-16-10, 05:59 PM
Epicus07

Bikes: See Signature.

Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by alpinedog
True, that trail is getting out of hand, but at least you can ALWAYS count on some fine women run/walking.... Makes the ocasional "issue" ok with me.....
When im not distracted by warm smelly dog sh*t all over my new carbon bike, i would agree
Old 02-16-10, 06:09 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, what else is new... i don't stop for the errant dog anymore unless it is a puppy. If i get hurt or my equipment is damaged, i'll take them to small claims court.

I have asked people to put their "perfect" dog on a leash, they just don't do it. The worst leashes are the recoiling one, where the dog is 30 yards ahead. Snagging everybody with the leash.

You are right to not say hello to the small dogs like chiuauas and yorkies, they're all vicious.

Anyways, people and their dogs... geesh.
Old 02-16-10, 07:55 PM
achoo

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I think one of the main reasons small dogs get aggressive is when they start to act up, their owners do things like pick them up and comfort them.

Way to go, Einstein. You just rewarded your little rat-sized yapper for being aggressive.

Seriously. Watch how many small, aggressive dogs keep looking back towards their owners when they get aggressive. They're looking for the approval they've been conditioned that they're going to get.
Old 02-16-10, 08:15 PM
spry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"**** happens"
Old 02-16-10, 10:57 PM
7bmwm3gtr

Bikes: Trek 2.1, CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ugh, I almost hit an unleashed dog the other day on a trail and all the owner did was call his name. Nice doggy yielded to me though. Good Boy. or girl...
Old 02-16-10, 11:27 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just bring along one of these:

I hear the young ones are good eatin'...
Old 02-17-10, 12:01 AM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a bad situation. Doggies on the MUP. drivers up your a** on the road. There is no BIKE-TRAIL. You just learn to adjust. The only dog that ever bit me was a tiny terrier. Went out to the street actually. Fortunately I had some ankle-high boots on. No injury. This little babe was just trying to protect its owner. Last summer I came upon a pitbull. Long story short, "Okay we're roaming now, I'm the leader." Me, not the dog

I am big, ugly and mean. I am the alpha dog. This little terrier bit my ankle yes. That was at nighttime when her vision was impaired. And she did back off when I stopped and confronted her. Then she ran back to the sidewalk.

The owner apologized. I didn't say, "you need to leash your dog." I just said, "It's okay, your dog is trying to protect you." That's all the baby was doing, not used to cyclists at 1030 PM.

Last edited by Eclectus; 02-17-10 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-17-10, 12:05 AM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Eclectus
It's a bad situation. Doggies on the MUP. drivers up your a** on the road. There is no BIKE-TRAIL. You just learn to adjust. The only dog that ever bit me was a tiny terrier. Went out to the street actually. Fortunately I had some ankle-high boots on. No injury. This little babe was just trying to protect its owner. Last summer I came upon a pitbull. Long story short, "Okay we're roaming now, I'm the leader."

I am big, ugly and mean. I am the alpha dog. This little terrier bit my ankle yes. That was at nighttime when her vision was impaired. And she did back off when I stopped and confronted her. Then she ran back to the sidewalk.
Haha yes, speaking of roaming, I have had some dogs chase me barking for kilometers... hope fido knows his way back to the MUP! I probably should have stop and just tie him to a lightpost but you just don't know how friendly they are.