Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-21, 04:59 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Salubrious
When I first saw that photo I thought, "Now that's a damn yard sale!"
Likes For thumpism:
Old 05-17-21, 06:25 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Somebody please buy this. This looks like a Sturmey hub with a Cyclo x3 setup. I've seen the Cyclo conversions (have one NIB) but never seen a bike built like this.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...42179991227061

Likes For thumpism:
Old 05-17-21, 07:07 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Turista! Seller says 23" frame (they came in 22" and 24") and coaster brake (nope).

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...33586900074133

Old 05-17-21, 08:02 PM
Mike from Iowa

Bikes: 1939 The James Arrow Ace Convertible Touring Tandem, 1950 Dunelt cruiser, 1960 Robin Hood Sports, 1972 Humber Sports, 1986 Panasonic Touring Deluxe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
When I first saw that photo I thought, "Now that's a damn yard sale!"
That's my 73 Superbe with the very full Carradice bag in the bike rack next to my wife's 74 Humber with black bag in back and wicker basket in front.

-Mike
Old 05-17-21, 08:17 PM
Mike from Iowa

Bikes: 1939 The James Arrow Ace Convertible Touring Tandem, 1950 Dunelt cruiser, 1960 Robin Hood Sports, 1972 Humber Sports, 1986 Panasonic Touring Deluxe

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 19 Posts

... The oldest was a tandem made in 1897.
It was an 1897 Stearns. Rear steer, so gent in back with lady in front step through frame. It has a Sturmey 3 hub and quadrant shifter. The front has rod brakes while the rear has a coaster brake but no free wheel. Quite fun to try out, as I got a chance to near the Frontenac stone wall.
Old 05-18-21, 01:05 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
Wow, that really nice and fixed to boot. Fixed tandem, rear captain - the ultimate marriage tester.
Old 05-18-21, 07:29 AM
arty dave

Bikes: 30's Speedwell Club Racer, 40's Speedwell 'Z' racer, 50's Unknown Aussie with nice lugs, 50's Speedwell Roadster, 50's Repco Roadster, '63 Raleigh DL-1, 70's Raleigh Sprite, Puch Promenade with Nexus 8

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
Lake Pepin envy & another thanks to Johno59

Originally Posted by Johno59
Tap this description into Ebay.
'universal adjustable cable barrel clamp adjuster bike motorcycle lawn mower new'
It's a French company. They ship worldwide. The website offers a huge selection of mini knarps.They don't call them knarps BTW.
Make certain your shipping address is crystal clear. I found the service excellent.
Thanks again Johno - a lot of googling and I think I've now found a local source, they're called 'solderless nipples' here (Australia), and used for things like motorbike or moped throttle cable. Look exactly like your french brass not-knarps.

I'm glad you all had another fun Lake Pepin. It's definitely on my bucket list. Nice Pics
Old 05-18-21, 09:18 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
I got a ride on that tandem as well!

The infamous Bay City Hill- why you install a 22 tooth cog on the rear! Making our way out of Bay City on the way to Maiden Rock.
Old 05-18-21, 09:28 AM
Salubrious

The Laura Engles Wilder cabin, about 7 miles north of Pepin, WI. Its a bit off-route, but I much prefer to take the quieter country roads. The main route can get a bit busy, and the founders of the Tour are adamant that the best enjoyment is had by those that take some time to explore and arrive late Its a nice descent from there into Pepin; if you don't need to resupply you can avoid most of it right until hiway 35 drops into the Chippewa River valley. My Humber came with a 1953 alloy 4-speed hub installed; its geared so that the extra low is about the same as a 22-tooth cog on the rear of a regular 3-speed. This means that high is a bit extra high so it takes longer to get spun out on the downhills. If you have rollers (like are common between Wabasha and Lake City on the second day) that extra high gear is nice helping you up the next grade. Dinner had been going for an hour by the time we arrived in Wabasha, but it was nice to enjoy a glass of wine at the Nelson Cheese factory first.
Likes For Salubrious:
Old 05-19-21, 01:57 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
All those Lake Pepin shots got me jonesing for a ride so I took out the Humber for a spin. Great albeit short ride; I renewed my opinion that it really rides beautifully. You hardly notice the weight.

As we are still locked down and under a stay at home order I tried to avoid areas where there were people which was hard as it was a fantastic warm and sunny day today.

Likes For markk900:
Old 05-19-21, 02:17 PM
Salubrious

A few of the rides parked in Wabasha. Dinner was across the street to the left in this photo. Pulled pork, British peas and mashed potatoes made for a great meal after a day in the saddle. The Eagles on the River (formerly the historic Anderson House) is in the background on the right. The off-white add-on shed there is where a good number of bikes were stored overnight. A thunderstorm with hail appeared (not in the forecast of course) to round out the day about an hour and a half after this photo was taken.
Likes For Salubrious:
Old 05-19-21, 02:31 PM
Salubrious

This bike's owner custom-built the frame and painted it. Its built to be a Lake Pepin 3-speed tourer. Note the dual boxlining and 531 transfer. The geometry is relaxed and designed for an upright riding position. It also features 650b wheels and a SON hub for lighting. The curve of the seatpost helps reduce road vibration making for a smoother ride.
Likes For Salubrious:
Old 05-19-21, 04:04 PM
jamesj

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL, 2006 Paul Frank Cruiser, 1987 Specialized Street Stomper, 1980 Trek 412, 1979 Raleigh Sport,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 25 Posts

This bike's owner custom-built the frame and painted it. Its built to be a Lake Pepin 3-speed tourer. Note the dual boxlining and 531 transfer. The geometry is relaxed and designed for an upright riding position. It also features 650b wheels and a SON hub for lighting. The curve of the seatpost helps reduce road vibration making for a smoother ride.

Isn't that this bike? https://www.thespoken.cc/world-champ...ke-pepin-rider
Sounds like it was a fun time! Maybe one day ill take the trip up from Arizona to ride this.
Likes For jamesj:
Old 05-20-21, 02:07 AM
arty dave

Bikes: 30's Speedwell Club Racer, 40's Speedwell 'Z' racer, 50's Unknown Aussie with nice lugs, 50's Speedwell Roadster, 50's Repco Roadster, '63 Raleigh DL-1, 70's Raleigh Sprite, Puch Promenade with Nexus 8

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by markk900
This renews my thought that these bikes can look really fantastic with a powdercoat finish. I remember when you put this back together and the wow factor in the before and after difference. I'd love to get one of my patina challenged 3 speeds PC'd, but it's so much more expensive here (Australia).
Old 05-20-21, 05:16 AM
markk900

Originally Posted by arty dave
This renews my thought that these bikes can look really fantastic with a powdercoat finish. I remember when you put this back together and the wow factor in the before and after difference. I'd love to get one of my patina challenged 3 speeds PC'd, but it's so much more expensive here (Australia).
Thanks for the comment, but when doing this I ended up *not* going powder - that is a rattle
can job! Done very carefully mind you and with lots of surface prep (and redoing areas that didn’t work out - that chainguard has been painted and stripped again at least 4 times to fix mistake). Biggest downside so far has been that rattlecan enamel is very soft and even a couple of years later can be chipped easily. But I know how to correct it if needed!
Likes For markk900:
Old 05-20-21, 09:33 AM
Salubrious

Originally Posted by jamesj
Isn't that this bike? https://www.thespoken.cc/world-champ...ke-pepin-rider
Sounds like it was a fun time! Maybe one day ill take the trip up from Arizona to ride this.
Obviously its the same bike I didn't want to 'out' Jeff without talking to him about it. Jeff is doing some paint work for me on a 1935 roadster- mostly because I saw this bike on a prior Tour.

The Tour is a wonderful time- after taking a detour my GF and I were resting in Pepin and watched a good number of riders pass, all dressed nicely for the event (you certainly want to be in good kit). Some bikes are expensive tourers, like Jeff's, some are Raleigh Internationals or Competitions that have been '3-speeded', some are older machines like the Humbers we were riding and still others are newer machines from the 70s and 80s that you might pick up cheap on CL. One rider in particular was riding a golden step-thru Sports that she had bought for $10.00 at a swap meet. It needed a complete going over at the time but proved up to the Tour. People come from all over the US; one person we rode with for a while was from San Antonio.
Old 05-21-21, 02:37 AM
oldspokes

Bikes: more than 20

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
By the way, if anyone is looking for 3-speeds I'm finding loads of them on FB Marketplace. For some reason they're coming out of the woodwork and they are cheap-to-reasonable, with a few of them overpriced. Raleighs, Triumphs, Normans, Herculeses, just about any brand you can think of. Not shilling for FB, but it's a great resource for these things if you're shopping. Happy hunting.
There's been a ton of them around here for sale too, but most are pretty rough. The nicer examples aren't selling unless their darn near free. That goes for all bikes lately.
The winter was slow, spring is proving to be slower when it comes to bike around here.
I listed a pretty clean ready to ride Robin Hood in a 21" frame about a month ago for $100, good paint, decent rubber, everything worked, I relubed the axles, headset and BB. I got nothing but $25 offers and nasty emails telling me I had a lot of nerve asking $100 for such an old bike. I gave up and ended up using it for parts to fix a bike that fit me and hung the frame in the basement.
Yet I listed a 15 year old Huffy beach cruiser for $180 and it was gone the next evening.
The sad thing is that I think they only recognize the cheap brands here. Huffy, Murray, and Kent is all that sells. Good stuff sells but only if you give it away for cheap.
I had a 23" frame Trek 512 listed for two months, all original, ridable but certainly in need of some tlc, but clean overall. I put it up for $150 cash and didn't get a single email. I lowed it to $125, and I got dozens of $25 offers and scam emails.
CL is better than FB here by far, I almost never even get a reply both buying or selling on FB. Its like they list things and forget about the ad. The one person that did reply to something I emailed about got back to me 4 months later.

It wasn't this bad where I lived before. I can't tell if its the area or that things have changed.
Something that I've gotten lately is people buying something used, then they want to return it a week or two after they bought it saying they want their money back because they found one cheaper somewhere else. A friend of mine has had the same thing on fleabay lately. Her returns have gone up to about 37%. All of the items she sells are new and basically just decoration, so they can't say it doesn't work. They just change their mind and get a refund, if the seller is lucky, they actually get the item they sold back and not a box of rocks.

I've been watching a Huret Jubilee derailleur on SJ CL for $120 that looks in pretty nice condition, its been listed and relisted for months now with no takers.
I had a pair of these that I put on fleabay a little over a year ago and both went over $200 with one going to Japan, the other going to Maryland.
I would think its the perfect add on for an older Super Course or any number of French bikes. There's a few sellers on there that have some nice stuff listed but nothing sells there for some reason. There was a set of Simplex Super LJ derailleurs new in the box for $150 cash that sat for over a year. I later saw those on fleabay and they went for over $300.
There's been quite a few English and French parts listed there with no takers for months on end too.
I bought a pair of new old Raleigh Westrick rims with 1959 hubs and Dunlop tires two weeks ago there for $100. The guy had them listed for $300. I offered $80, he took $100. They were listed for over a year. I didn't need them but figured sooner or later I will so I grabbed them up. A week later, I found a 23" 1960 Men's Sports at a yard sale in PA for $10 that needed two good wheels.

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/b...314700420.html

I sold an antique blacksmith's vise to a guy about four weeks ago for $120. It was in perfect condition. The guy called me today saying he's going to return it because he realized he really didn't need it. He left a long message about how he feels I should also reimburse him for his gas since he lives over a 100 miles away.
He's not saying there's anything wrong with the vise, he just changed his mind. I'm getting this over and over lately with all sorts of items.
I've even seen it happen at yard sales.
The family across the street just had a yard sale, and they had someone who bought a used pair of pants last fall at their last yard sale that wanted to return the pants because her kid outgrew them. They refused to take them back, the woman got loud and the police were called. The woman eventually left in a patrol car over a $4 used pair of jeans.

I wouldn't in a million years ever consider returning a used item to a yardsale or fleamarket, let alone online. Its used, there's no warranty, period. If you want a warranty, buy a new one at the store.
Likes For oldspokes:
Old 05-22-21, 10:05 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...24987198898042

Old 05-23-21, 03:06 PM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Thanks for the comment, but when doing this I ended up *not* going powder - that is a rattle
can job! Done very carefully mind you and with lots of surface prep (and redoing areas that didn’t work out - that chainguard has been painted and stripped again at least 4 times to fix mistake). Biggest downside so far has been that rattlecan enamel is very soft and even a couple of years later can be chipped easily. But I know how to correct it if needed!
As hard as I tried with gloss rattle can paint I could not get the mirror finish I wanted so I switched to satin finish.
Old 05-23-21, 03:52 PM
Rherdegen

Bikes: 50 and 51 Raleigh Superbe Sports Tourist, 53 Hercules King Coronation Celebration, 55? Automoto roadster, 68 Raleigh Sports, 76 Zebrakenko Wind, 80 Raleigh Tourist, 82 Trek 720, 87 MCycle custom, 90 Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by usarnie1
In 1953 Hercules made three different models of the QE II Coronation Celebration Bicycle. The Hercules Windsor, the Hercules Royal Prince and the Hercules Tourist. They were available in only two colors, burgundy or black. Since the majority of the bikes sold were Burgundy, your black bike is very rare! I have in my collection all three burgundy models of the QEII bicycles (see below photo).

I have redone the artwork on all three model chain guard stickers and they all are currently available on Redbubble.com at very reasonable prices!

Sometime in the future, I will also redesign the seats down tube decal. When completed, the set will be in two separate sets of stickers. One will be only 2 sets of chevrons and the other will be one sticker with the two falcons in flight on each side of the scripted Hercules.

Enjoy your bike!

Regards,

Arnie

My three Hercules QE II Bicycles
I know this is late to the discussion, but I just acquired what I believe is (may be?) a black Hercules Coronation model. It is, however, the King model (not one of the three you lasted as the ‘53 coronation models). It does have the proper seat tube decal (script Hercules flanked by white falcons and multi-colored chevrons), the proper chain case decal and matching model name on headbadge, cream paint treatment detail, Hercules name on chainring, Type 3 rear hub. However, it has chrome fenders, not painted. It was indicated in some discussion (here or another forum?) that Hercules kept the same design for a few subsequent years. So is it possible that this is yet another model available in ‘53, or a model that was introduced in a later year with the same paint/decal/design scheme? The bike is pretty complete if a bit dirty (though with what I believe is a replacement saddle), but ought to clean up nicely. I’m eager to determine more precisely what I have here!

Likes For Rherdegen:
Old 05-23-21, 05:05 PM
bluesteak 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 52 Posts
53 Hercules

I have a black 53 Hercules with Chrome fenders, like the one you have. Mine however has the tourist head badge. Other wise the chain guard and decals seem to be the same.
Old 05-23-21, 07:08 PM
RobHalligan

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I don't know about WITH the lumber, but I find performance of step thru bikes much more fun than that of top tube bikes. And they're much less expensive.
Old 05-24-21, 04:42 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 288 Posts

Kind of funny lookin' in a funny lookin' kind of way.

Last edited by gster; 05-24-21 at 02:45 PM.
Likes For gster:
Old 05-24-21, 02:38 PM
markk900

Rherdegen Love the details on your Hercules! Did you look at the hub for a date? Could have been changed but starting with the assumption it is original that would give you a year.
Old 05-24-21, 02:44 PM
Rherdegen

Bikes: 50 and 51 Raleigh Superbe Sports Tourist, 53 Hercules King Coronation Celebration, 55? Automoto roadster, 68 Raleigh Sports, 76 Zebrakenko Wind, 80 Raleigh Tourist, 82 Trek 720, 87 MCycle custom, 90 Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Rherdegen Love the details on your Hercules! Did you look at the hub for a date? Could have been changed but starting with the assumption it is original that would give you a year.
It is a Type 3 hub, which I understand puts it in the '50's, but I've not been successful in finding a more specific date on it (and I've been told that those Hercules hubs didn't always (ever?) have specific dates stamped into them). But it is still pretty grimy, and I'll keep cleaning and searching.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.