Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

22mm tire on rear wheel - crazy?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-13, 09:53 AM
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Bikes: 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I normally rotate tires front-to-rear; when the rear tire is dead (tread very thin, starting to get flats) I either toss it or save it for indoor trainer sessions. Then I move the front tire to the rear wheel, and put a new tire on the front.

Normally, I use 700x23 and this is a pretty straightforward routine.

But currently I am running Continental's Attack/Force combo. I have a slightly older set, where the rear is only 23mm (not the current 24mm), but the front tire is a 22mm.

Since my rear 23mm Force is just about dead (squared off, tread pattern is balding), I'd like to move the 22mm Attack tire to the rear - but is that asking for trouble? Just to be clear, I am riding over rough city roads to get to/from the more pleasant open country riding in these parts, and I weigh about 210 pounds. My rims are 32h Mavic Open Pro CDs, fwtw.
Old 12-06-13, 10:04 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Liked 829 Times in 461 Posts
I wouldn't worry about going from a 23 to a 22. I doubt you'll feel any difference. And not all 23s measure 23mm either.
Old 12-06-13, 10:07 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,279 Times in 647 Posts
Measure the tires for the Real size.

Old 12-06-13, 10:15 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Liked 2,111 Times in 1,492 Posts
That's a bit of an odd tire combo, specifically for racing. If you've squared off the rear tire, you must race quite a bit. The front tire is front specific, not meant to run on the rear. If you are using these as a race set, it might be best to buy a complete new set. Be that as it may, it probably doesn't make much difference for recreational riding. 22mm isn't anything to be scared of, that's for sure. Most recreational riders run the same tire front and rear so putting the front on the rear is the normal thing, not an oddity.
Old 12-06-13, 10:27 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 1,013 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by pgoat

Since my rear 23mm Force is just about dead (squared off, tread pattern is balding),
Could still have many miles left. Tread is just decoration, so just because it's worn off doesn't mean it's not still good.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 12-06-13, 10:34 AM
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Bikes: 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually don't race at all, but I am a miser, so I use my tires for a good solid 3000 miles or so. I'm mostly doing early morning laps in Central Park (I also commute on this bike!) and brisk paced weekend rides up 9W to Nyack and so forth.

The squared off one in back is still okay for now, although from experience, I'd say the 'flat-a-day' stage is rapidly approaching...since winter is too, I'll keep using it till it fully dies before switching.

I have a second set of 'nicer' wheels, so If I was doing something faster with a club (faster descents, pace-lining, etc) I could swap in a set of 23s in great shape for safety's sake...just wondering whether 22mm was pushing it. I am thinking the Attack tread pattern may be more front-friendly but that shouldn't be a huge issue in the rear (whereas, I'd be wary of putting a rear-specific tread of any kind up front, regardless of mileage or condition).
Old 12-06-13, 10:56 AM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
pretty sure you could only run that with a 21mm front.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 12-06-13, 11:14 AM
canam73

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pgoat
I actually don't race at all, but I am a miser, so I use my tires for a good solid 3000 miles or so. I'm mostly doing early morning laps in Central Park (I also commute on this bike!) and brisk paced weekend rides up 9W to Nyack and so forth.

The squared off one in back is still okay for now, although from experience, I'd say the 'flat-a-day' stage is rapidly approaching...since winter is too, I'll keep using it till it fully dies before switching.

I have a second set of 'nicer' wheels, so If I was doing something faster with a club (faster descents, pace-lining, etc) I could swap in a set of 23s in great shape for safety's sake...just wondering whether 22mm was pushing it. I am thinking the Attack tread pattern may be more front-friendly but that shouldn't be a huge issue in the rear (whereas, I'd be wary of putting a rear-specific tread of any kind up front, regardless of mileage or condition).
Continental has said they only put tread patterns on road tires because they sell better when they do. The type they use have no effect on their handling wet or dry and tend to wear off pretty quickly.

I don't think using the Attack in the rear is likely to cause any harm, but that said, it is not made for your purposes even if used in the front. It is one of Conti's thinnest, lightest clincher and meant for racing applications where mileage and durability are not top priorities.

Imo you would be better off leaving the attack upfront and getting a pair of Conti 4 Season or Mich Pro 4 Endurance. Put one on the back and the other upfront when the Attack goes. Or right now and just keep the Attack as a back up tire.
Old 12-06-13, 11:33 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,600 Times in 1,593 Posts
It's one nominal mm -- people have ridden and raced on narrower tires.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-06-13, 01:11 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
It's one nominal mm -- people have ridden and raced on narrower tires.
What he said! I rode 19s or 21s front and rear for years and years. Most everybody did back in the day. Wouldn't now., but 22 is no big deal.
Old 12-06-13, 01:42 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Liked 2,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by canam73
I don't think using the Attack in the rear is likely to cause any harm, but that said, it is not made for your purposes even if used in the front. It is one of Conti's thinnest, lightest clincher and meant for racing applications where mileage and durability are not top priorities.

Imo you would be better off leaving the attack upfront and getting a pair of Conti 4 Season or Mich Pro 4 Endurance. Put one on the back and the other upfront when the Attack goes. Or right now and just keep the Attack as a back up tire.
+1.