Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Adult Tricycle buying advice - wheel diameter

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-10, 10:09 AM
geo8rge

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Tricycle to be purchased for a senoir citizen, it will not be used for loads heavier than say a gallon of milk.

Worksman has 20" and 24" tricycles. I am wondering if anyone had any wisdom about choosing between the 2. Is one more stable or easier to ride than the other.

https://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_s...ulttrikes.html
Old 04-22-10, 11:23 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Personally, I'd suggest something like the Sun EZ3 recumbent. 20" wheels, and much more stable than a traditional adult trike, and far more comfortable.

My wife's Sun

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 04-22-10, 05:17 PM
SunnyFlorida

Bikes: Sun Miami Trike - 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my 24" upright Sun Trike

I looked at the Workman trikes link and the trikes look similiar to my Sun trike.

Personally, I prefer sitting in an upright positon as oppose to a reclining one, which is why I never liked recumbents. They are too low to the ground and very long in the tooth for me.

Frankly, I would think you're pedaling more with a bike whose wheels are 20" as oppose to a 24" wheel.

But on the other hand, you're pedaling harder to turn that 24" wheel too. Hhhmmm.

You would think that the 20" trike would be more stable since it is lower to the ground and that might be.

I sometimes catch myself from tipping over when I encounter a steep driveway on my 24" trike. Now I have to make sure I'm on the high end of the driveway to avoid that tipping feeling. However, I don't know if a 20" wheel would change that feeling on an upright significantly or not.

BTW, I've never tipped over on my 24" upright trike. I've had some close calls though.

In the end, the best thing would be to test drive as many trike models as possible. People seem to be drawn to a particular model for whatever reason. Some love recumbents others do not.

I picked the upright trike I have because of price and the fact that I felt comfortable when taking it out on a test spin.

P.S. What's the weight on the trikes? My Sun weighs 50 lbs. Take that into consideration. If I had to do it all over again, I'd opt for a ligher, foldable trike if I can. There will be times when you'll have to lug it around.

Last edited by SunnyFlorida; 04-22-10 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-22-10, 07:30 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Liked 350 Times in 228 Posts
Generally, larger wheels roll over imperfect surfaces easier than smaller wheels. But, smaller wheels are stronger than larger wheels (all else being equal).

I have no experience with trikes.
Old 04-23-17, 06:36 PM
vchinablue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am having trouble finding a store in Marietta Ga. that carries any to try so I am looking for info.
Old 04-23-17, 07:24 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Liked 890 Times in 540 Posts
https://www.trailmate.com/productJoyRider.cfm

Trailmate JoyRider is very stable, has a walk-in frame, 24" rear wheels
Old 04-24-17, 06:10 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Liked 755 Times in 463 Posts
Note that this thread is 7 years old and was resurrected because vchinablue can't find a trike dealer.

I can think of three main brands of 'adult trikes.' The style in general is heavy and clunky, mostly appropriate to flat paved trails and factory floors. The three brands are Schwinn, Trailmate, and Workman. You can Google them and see or ask them where their dealers are. It's entirely possible that department stores can order them or you can mail-order them.

More common than 'adult trikes' these days are recumbent trikes. They're more expensive but more versatile. U-Man Power, in Maryville TN, carries several brands. Maryville is a few hours north of you, but might be worth a trip to visit.