Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Juwel men's 3-gear bike from (West) Germany from the late 50s

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-21, 06:59 PM
Erik_CvS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My father purchased a Juwel 3-speed bike in (West) Germany in (likely) the late 50s. I have no specific details as he passed many years ago. Our family emigrated to Canada in the early 1970s and the bike came along. Being a 3-speed it didn't get much use in the hills around Vancouver so this bike has essentially sat unused for nearly 50 years with just a bit of maintenance here and there.

In closely examining the bike, I have gathered the following information (unfortunately, as a Newbie I am prevented from posting pictures or even links to pictures):
  • Brand: Juwel
    • Appears to have been manufactured in Bielefeld ("Original Bielefelder Handarbeit" means it was manually produced in Bielefeld)
    • In going online, I found very little about the bike manufacturer 'Juwel'....
  • Model: Torino "Sonderklasse" (Sonderklasse means 'special class' - probably denoting a high-end version)
  • It has an F&S (Fichtel & Sachs) Model 55 3-gear coaster brake hub
    • Works perfectly
    • I am estimating the age of the bike on the information that this hub was produced from 1956 to 1961 per one website (as a Newbie I am not allowed to post links yet)
  • The handbrake for the front wheels has the brand "Altenburger" indicated
  • The rims are 28x15/8 Rigida; Chrolux (Made in France)
  • The seat has the brand "Wittkop (Bielefeld)" indicated
  • It has a Lohmann generator (also works) connected to the front light (also work)
  • It has a kickstand and a spring-loaded luggage rack (spring is still strong)
  • In addition to front and rear fenders, it has a 'spray shield' on the top front quarter of the back wheel so that the rider is not sprayed by water when riding in wet conditions.
  • It has a bell on it but I am pretty sure that I recall having that(!) bell on my own bike when I was 7/8 yrs old - I suspect we moved the bell to this bike at some point.
    • To my knowledge everything else (other than the tires and probably the brake pads) are original.
Damage:
  • plastic chain guard (Hebie): half torn; one anchor point torn out; not original??
  • no rear reflector
  • not sure if it had a rear light.
Condition:
  • Everything works fine
  • The chrome has 'rust spots' on it but for the age it seems to be pretty good - not really sure how to assess this.
I would appreciate feedback on what different folks may believe this bike to be worth and also recommendations as to what to do with to 'give it justice' (we have no particular plans to use it) or any other thoughts about this bike. Thank you!
Old 03-12-21, 08:13 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Welcome to BikeForums Erik.

It takes a while to get familiar with the forum and initially can get discouraging.

I use my threads on the forums as my own documentation of my bikes. And if sometime in the future someone has the same issue as I, then they can reference me.

So, keep plugging away about your bike and when possible; pictures and links.

Note: there is a lot of information on the "For the Love of English Three Speeds", A lot of vintage info there.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-3-speeds.html

And when you can have pictures, put them and your story on the thread(You do have a 3-Speed).

Good luck and welcome aboard
Old 03-12-21, 08:33 PM
Erik_CvS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the recommendation mirfi!