Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Best way to carry a bear canister?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-18, 09:24 PM
amart

Bikes: MEC Provincial 222 (Steel frame gravel bike), 1974 Raleigh Re-build (unknown model)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

This is not a thread about whether or not one should carry a canister... there is already plenty on that out there. Going up north, no trees to hang or attach an Ursack.

Whether, I'm interested to know how you have been carrying one on your bike? Anyone ever fit a canister in panniers?
Particularly interested in ways to attach it to handlebars.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-18, 11:01 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by amart
Hi all,

This is not a thread about whether or not one should carry a canister...

Thanks!
(hurry and look at the photo before nophotobucket cuts it off)

I got a $1 cunk of fabric, cut to wrap around the bearvault 500,
""Best Use
Backpacking
Gear Capacity (L)
11.5 liter
Gear Capacity (cu. in.)
700 cubic inches
Material(s)
Polycarbonate
Dimensions
8.7 x 12.7 inches
Weight
2 lbs. 9 oz.""
Sewed on some straps, sewed on some velcro straps for easy attachment to the randonneur rack, added a little green mesh for a pocket to dry my socks in the sun, added some loops to attach a solar panel or something.

Those 2 black straps are sewn in place and go over the handlebars. You want to be able to draw it in tight, as a lose can flops around and throws the stearing off. On the rando rack it sits a little forward and a little more out of balance. Tight is the most important word here, not flopping around.

Last edited by chrisx; 01-03-18 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-04-18, 08:03 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I carried my BV-500 strapped to my rear rack. I cushioned it with a closed-cell sit-pad that I carry anyway. It worked excellently for my trip from Seattle up through the Yukon and to Deadhorse, AK.

Grizzly country with no trees

Especially the tundra:

Last edited by BigAura; 01-04-18 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-04-18, 08:10 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
https://www.scc2ush.com/wp-content/up...3-1024x683.jpg

I put a red stuff sack around it and put it on top of my front rack.
Old 01-04-18, 08:34 AM
BigAura

Originally Posted by mev
I put a red stuff sack around it and put it on top of my front rack.
Is that a Blackburn Outpost rack? I got one and I'm considering using it with a canister.
Old 01-04-18, 08:34 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
There is this on Amazon that may make strapping it down a bit easier.

https://www.amazon.com/BACKPACKER-Be...=bear+canister
Old 01-04-18, 08:56 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Going up north, no trees to hang or attach an Ursack.
I am curious where you are going that there is nothing to tie an Ursack to.

If I decided that I needed to carry a bear canister or Ursack where there are no trees, I'd be inclined to go with the Ursack and find places to tie it when I could. That might be man made objects, the base of scrub brush, or whatever I could find.

Ursack says:
Won't a bear carry the Ursack away if it is not tied to a fixed object?
Probably not. The SIBBG rangers tested the Ursack Hybrid in both the summer of 2004 and 2005 to see whether a bear would carry it away. They even put a tracking device in it as part of the testing procedure. The results, so far, are that bears are leaving Ursacks very close to where they found them.

Where there are no trees available, try hiding your Ursack under a pile of rocks. If you are using an OPSak and have been meticulous about keeping food smells off the outside, it is unlikely that a bear can find a well hidden Ursack.

Whether, I'm interested to know how you have been carrying one on your bike? Anyone ever fit a canister in panniers?
How big of a canister do you need? I can generally manage 5 days with a small solo canister like my BV450 (7.2 liters I think). That assumes 4 days of food in the canister and one day of food outside the canister to be consumed before the first night. I have not used one but the Bare Boxer is another small option.

If you can get by with the BV450 or the Bare Boxer, fitting it in a pannier may be an option. I have carried my BV450 in a pretty small backpack (REI Flash 45) and it fit fine, so I think it would fit in a large pannier.

The bigger canisters probably need to fit outside the panniers. The Garcia has a bag available that it fits in. With that bag it would be fairly easy to strap on top of a rear rack. I have fit similar sized bags on the handlebars by using two straps and threading them around the bars and the bag, but threading the straps through some PVC pipe spacers.
Old 01-04-18, 10:10 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
stretch net? Again 'Best' is an opinion...

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-04-18 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-04-18, 11:24 AM
amart

Bikes: MEC Provincial 222 (Steel frame gravel bike), 1974 Raleigh Re-build (unknown model)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I am curious where you are going that there is nothing to tie an Ursack to.
Dempster Highway. The comment from Ursack also made me realize: if there is no tree, the bag would be fairly easy to find as long as it's within a decent perimeter.
Old 01-04-18, 11:35 AM
amart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
I carried my BV-500 strapped to my rear rack. I cushioned it with a closed-cell sit-pad that I carry anyway. It worked excellently for my trip from Seattle up through the Yukon and to Deadhorse, AK.
That's sweet. I'll be traveling a similar route but will stay in Canada.

I see you are using Arkel bags: did you have any issues with them? How do the rain covers perform since technically the wheel side of the pannier isnt protected?

Also, what tires did you use? I'm planning on taking the good ol' Shwalbe Marathon Green Guard (700/37c) my only concern is that gravel Highways up their might not be hard packed enough, which would require a tire with bigger treads.
Old 01-04-18, 11:45 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Dempster Highway.
Sounds like an awesome trip.
The comment from Ursack also made me realize: if there is no tree, the bag would be fairly easy to find as long as it's within a decent perimeter.
That was my thought as well. Whatever you wind up doing I hope it works out well.
Old 01-04-18, 06:47 PM
BigAura

That's sweet.
Thank you!

I'll be traveling a similar route but will stay in Canada.
Nice!

I see you are using Arkel bags: did you have any issues with them? How do the rain covers perform since technically the wheel side of the pannier isnt protected?
I'm not using Arkels, in those photos. Those are actually Ortliebs with Arkel covers that I used for Hi-Vis. I used the covers for visibility on the road and removed them for stealtiness in the evening. Personally I prefer the full-on waterproofiness of Ortliebs.

Also, what tires did you use? I'm planning on taking the good ol' Shwalbe Marathon Green Guard (700/37c) my only concern is that gravel Highways up their might not be hard packed enough, which would require a tire with bigger treads.
The tires were old-school Schwalabe XR's...great tires. The roads can be a rough-mess, I'd recommend fat & hardened tires.
Old 01-04-18, 07:05 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Originally Posted by BigAura
Is that a Blackburn Outpost rack? I got one and I'm considering using it with a canister.
It is a Surly rack.

Dempster Highway. The comment from Ursack also made me realize: if there is no tree, the bag would be fairly easy to find as long as it's within a decent perimeter.
Fun trip. It has now been a while since I cycled the Dempster (1996). From my memory and blog (The Dempster Highway). there were sections above the tree line and so intermittent areas with/without trees. However, until Inuvik, I think I camped/slept in areas with some trees each night.

So it seems reasonable to expect some nights camping w/o trees but in contrast to the Dalton, I don't expect as long a stretch w/o trees. I also cycled the Dalton (2005, 2016). On my most recent trip, I used an Ursack on the Dalton mostly because I was running short of space and wanted extra warm clothes as well as 7 days of food. Once I got to Fairbanks, I picked up the bear canister and used it from then until Colorado.

The road only recently continues to Tuk, so not as sure on that area.
Old 01-04-18, 10:05 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Wild Ideas Bearikade: Wilderness food storage bear canisters for backpacking, camping and hiking

Even bear cans have a way to charge extra,

Ursack does not close all the way, rats out number bears a million to 1, mice and bugs can crawl in the top of it.

Originally Posted by mev

The road only recently continues to Tuk, so not as sure on that area.
Tuktoyaktuk?
Many mosquitoes up there?

Last edited by chrisx; 01-04-18 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-05-18, 02:24 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Originally Posted by chrisx
[url=https://www.wild-ideas.net/]
Tuktoyaktuk?
Many mosquitoes up there?
Yes, Tuktoyatuk. The road opened just this past year making it easier to start with a wheel dipped in the Arctic. Prior to this road, there was a winter ice road that was occasionally cycled.

My trip was at end of June and I took a one day flightseeing trip to Tuk. There were areas with considerable mosquitoes (as I recall a guide said something like 76 species cataloged). I would expect them to be particularly intense in some areas, though if there is open tundra a slight breeze might keep some at bay.

I'm tempted to go back to Inuvik to cycle this new all-year all-weather road to the Arctic...
Old 01-05-18, 04:09 PM
Chuckie J.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done it on a front rack. I believe the rack is an Old Man Mountain Sherpa.

I'm digging out a picture... My "baseball card" shot. : )

Last edited by Chuckie J.; 01-05-18 at 04:14 PM. Reason: adding picture
Old 01-05-18, 08:11 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I use a motorcycle helmet bungee net to strap a canister to the rear rack. Absolutely no problems over ~1,000mi. traveled with that setup. The handlebar mounting idea sounds interesting. Now that I'm getting more into bikepacking, I may try that sometime in the future.
Old 01-05-18, 11:20 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts
Try this: Sabrered. It has an insert that goes into a standard water bottle cage to hold bear spray.
Attached Images
Old 01-05-18, 11:56 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Does bear spray have a shelf life? Mine has been sitting around a few years.

Think about keeping your spray on your person instead of your bike. Can you guess why?
Old 01-06-18, 01:23 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Oh... time to re-up my old Colnago photo

Yep, a bear barrel hidden under the sleeping pad.

I didn't actually get to use it, other than carrying most of my food. I couldn't convince Crater Lake to allow me to wild camp. I have some more ideas to discuss with them the next time I head back up there. So, I stayed in a campground that had a steel bear vault.

Outside of Crater Lake National Park, I just kept my food close.. perhaps not the best of ideas, but the risk seemed low enough.

I really didn't like the bear barrel idea. I had two complaints. If a bear was to attack it, if I was camping near a ridgeline, then the bear could abscond with my barrel down into the valley. Even if the bear didn't get it opened, I might never see the barrel again, or have a hard hike to go get it.

Likewise, if I was near a river... it could very well end up in the river... and again, bye-bye food.

And, wild camping, I'm not sure about putting my food 100 feet outside of my campground.

I may look at the bear sack. That may take care of some of the rolling issues. Perhaps also look at hanging food, or simply hanging my panniers (thus food and trash, and anything that has touched food or trash could be easily hung).
Old 01-06-18, 09:16 AM
Chuckie J.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I definitely hear you on your complains. I questioned the barrel as well.

Here are some things I like about the bear canister: 1) If needed, you can put your food in it to keep out bears but also (the real problems...) chipmunks, raccoons, squirrels, insects, etc., 2) it's waterproof so you can throw electronics or other must keep dry things in, 3) you can use it to transport water from a creek/river for things like washing or putting out a campfire, 4) you can sit on it!, 5) it looks badass, like you're about to go face-to-face with a man eating bear.
Old 01-07-18, 10:43 AM
BigAura

Originally Posted by Chuckie J.
Here are some things I like about the bear canister: 1) If needed, you can put your food in it to keep out bears but also (the real problems...) chipmunks, raccoons, squirrels, insects, etc., 2) it's waterproof so you can throw electronics or other must keep dry things in, 3) you can use it to transport water from a creek/river for things like washing or putting out a campfire, 4) you can sit on it!, 5) it looks badass, like you're about to go face-to-face with a man eating bear.
+1 And canisters are extremely easy to use just put all food, cook-stuff, and garbage in it, then walk it out from your site. Simple.
Old 06-30-18, 05:27 AM
longtemp

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The (7.5 inch diameter contact surface) 8.5 inch diameter clear BV Solo 7-day cannister will fit in my rear panniers. I may decide to fill my panniers more efficiently and attach the empty barrel to the rack top. A trash bag may seal my food within my panniers before setting camp.

I have experience with small animals. They will rummage through bags and tents to find food. These small animals are a nuisance, as bears.

Last edited by longtemp; 07-02-18 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-30-18, 07:50 PM
Vegasclimber
Typical MAMIL

Bikes: 2011 CAAD-10, 2017 Evo HiMod Team Di2, 2018 Quick 5 Disc

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some great tips here on bear cans and carrying them, for sure. I hate having to use them, but when I have needed them, I REALLY needed them. My wife considers it the bane of her existence when we back country camp together

Carrying an empty barrel is going to defeat the purpose, IMO. If you load it up at nights, for instance, your pans are still going to have food smell and they will get torn up, even if they are empty. A trash bag will not be enough, bears have an incredible sense of smell and will tear into vehicles for crumbs under a seat or other scented products, like sunscreen, baby wipes etc.

Someone upthread mentioned the possibility of a bear rolling the canister down the hill...yep, they will do that, or drop it off a cliff if one is nearby. They can get real determined. But a bear can is the only way to go and be secure for the most part - in my experience, they usually don't carry it very far. Once they figure out that all the locks are engaged, the smart ones drop it and move on. Except for the cliff trick, that is...don't camp near those
Old 07-01-18, 05:00 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckie J.
I've done it on a front rack. I believe the rack is an Old Man Mountain Sherpa.

I'm digging out a picture... My "baseball card" shot. : )

Great job of getting your bike and pannier color to match so well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.