Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What's the Scoop on 2040 tubing?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What's the Scoop on 2040 tubing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-05, 01:23 PM
CalTex
Older, but wizened

Bikes: Purchased a Soma "Speedster" in May '08 to replace my cludged-together Peugeot "UO-8" with alloy upgrades which will be up for sale on craigslist in the near future.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am selling a Motobecane Super Mirage frameset with 2040 tubing. I would like to, at least, appear knowlegeable about the material when approached by prospective buyers. I have done exhaustive research on Google and can only find that it is "high tensile steel". Is there more that anyone has to offer as to the composition of this 2040 material, the frame construction, or even this frame as relates to Motobecane Super Mirages? If dating the frame is of use, there are pictures available at https://www.doug-morgan.com/BikeSales/Motobecane.html and it came with a Sun Tour V-GT Luxe rear derailer and Weinmann center-pull brakes. Your assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by CalTex; 07-26-05 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-26-05, 01:49 PM
bostontrevor
Retrogrouch in Training

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I have my numbers right, that's a high-carbon nickel steel, but no chromium. This I believe makes it heavier and softer than a crmo steel.
Old 07-26-05, 03:43 PM
sydney

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CalTex
I am selling a Motobecane Super Mirage frameset with 2040 tubing. I would like to, at least, appear knowlegeable about the material when approached by prospective buyers. I have done exhaustive research on Google and can only find that it is "high tensile steel". Is there more that anyone has to offer as to the composition of this 2040 material, the frame construction, or even this frame as relates to Motobecane Super Mirages?
Right above gas pipe as far as material for bike frames goes. Ok for bridge girders,but somewhat pricey for boat anchor material. Just say 'steel' and let it slide.
Old 07-26-05, 03:56 PM
alanbikehouston

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
In the 1970's, some steel tubing used for bikes was a bit lower in strength than cro-mo, even when sold in double-butted form for use with lugged construction. So, to build a frame that was equal in strength to a four-pound frame made from cro-mo, the frame ended up weighing about one pound more.

But, it was used on lower levels of bikes, with heavier components, and heavier wheels. On a 28 pound bike, it would have been silly for the manufacturer to spent extra money on "fancy" tubing such as Reynolds 531, just to end up with a 27 pound bike.

The REALLY heaving stuff was the steel used on Schwinn Varsities. They ended up weighing about 40 pounds. In comparison to a Varsity, a 28 pound Motobecane was a "feather weight" bike.

I have found when buying older bikes that I can buy a bike with a Reynolds 531 frame for about the same price as a bike with a generic frame. Given the choice, I would go with Reynolds over generic steel...but some good bikes have been made with those heavier types of steel.
Old 07-27-05, 09:35 AM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Steel with chromium and molybdenum is called "Cro-Mo".

2040 tubing is "No-Mo".

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 07-27-05, 12:28 PM
Daveag

Bikes: 1983 Univega Alpina Sport • 1974 Schwinn Paramount P10 • 1977? Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 2040 steel was 1 step down from cro-moly in the Motobecane line back then. I had this model bike and it dates to the late 1970's. As best I can remember, threading was a mixture of French and Swiss (a real pain).
Old 08-26-23, 01:49 PM
ign1te

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Just weighed a stripped 62 cm (c-c) 2040 frame, no fork. Came in at 2,98 kg which is quite heavy.
Old 08-26-23, 02:59 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
I am selling a Motobecane Super Mirage frameset with 2040 tubing. I would like to, at least, appear knowlegeable about the material when approached by prospective buyers. I have done exhaustive research on Google and can only find that it is "high tensile steel". Is there more that anyone has to offer as to the composition of this 2040 material, the frame construction, or even this frame as relates to Motobecane Super Mirages? If dating the frame is of use, there are pictures available at https://www.doug-morgan.com/BikeSales/Motobecane.html and it came with a Sun Tour V-GT Luxe rear derailer and Weinmann center-pull brakes. Your assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated.
2040 steel is a European Designation, and long outdated now...it was known for stiffness due to the high carbon content, and it also resisted heat hardening when brazed or welded, negating the need to anneal the frame after joining.

most other high carbon steel alloys readily harden when heated to a glow, then cooled.... hardened steel becomes BRITTLE steel... Brittle steel likes to Crack at high stress junctions.
Old 08-26-23, 03:36 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
Hopefully the OP has the old Motobecane sold by now.
Old 08-26-23, 03:41 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
....can only find that it is "high tensile steel".....
High tensile is about the lowest grade steel you will find on a bike.
Anything "weaker" would have to have a much greater wall thickness etc. that the weight gets prohibitive.
Santa would be giving bikes that outweighed the kid.
Old 08-27-23, 08:16 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
OP last posted in 2007.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 03-11-24, 08:42 AM
sbrudno

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 29 Posts
Just finished refurbishing a Motobecane Sprintour, a rather lower of the line bike originally. I like the ride; kind of softer than my Grand Record and Super Mirage. With the higher end components (Campy hubs, seat post and derailleurs, mostly Moto for other components, it weighs 28 pounds (obviously without bags and lights). I do not have anything against the 2040 except for my deep seated snob appeal...

Last edited by sbrudno; 03-11-24 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-11-24, 05:26 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
2040 steel is a European Designation, and long outdated now...it was known for stiffness (which is pretty much the same as other steel alloys as steel's Young's Modulus doesn't change between alloys, don't confuse strength with stiffness) due to the high carbon content (which is usually what harden able steels have, higher carbon content), and it also resisted heat hardening when brazed (when brazing if one were to quench the hot joint only then would the steel potentially become hardened. For a brazed joint and the usual slow cool down no hardening will happen) or welded, negating the need to anneal the frame after joining

most other high carbon steel alloys readily harden when heated to a glow, then cooled (as in very quickly cooled. The crystallin structure has to be "frozen" and not allowed to slowly revert back to the non hardened state during cooling).... hardened steel becomes BRITTLE steel... Brittle steel likes to Crack at high stress junctions
Andy
Old 03-11-24, 07:13 PM
sbrudno

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Andy
I stand corrected.
Old 03-11-24, 09:24 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Raleigh used what they called 1020 tubing at one time for their lower level road bikes. We use to joke that the 2040 French tubing was twice as good

I never placed too much value on much of the bike brands' tubing claims, excepting second party brands with their own trademarked decals like Reynolds or Columbus. Even then there are cases when the only tube with the claimed material was the one with the decal. Andy