Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cane Creek 40 headset installation

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-18, 03:58 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts

I need to replace the headset on my 2004 Trek 520. (It's a 1" threadless Cane Creek SC-1, for the curious.)

I've heard good things about the Cane Creek 40, and it comes in the size that I need. But I've also heard it it's hard to install using threaded rod method, because it can mess with the bearings (or something like that).

I'd rather avoid paying the $35 for a shop to do the work. Does anyone have experience putting in a CC40? Is it harder to install than a normal threadless headset?
Old 02-01-18, 04:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You have a headset press?, crown race setter?
Old 02-01-18, 04:09 PM
RocThrower

Bikes: Space Horse Disc, Domane SL5 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
I don't see why the threaded rod wouldn't work. The 40 series have removable cartridge bearings, so you can press in just the cups with the bearings uninstalled. FWIW, I just had cups and a crown race in stalled on a 40 series at the LBS, and it took about 5 minutes and $10.00.
Likes For RocThrower:
Old 02-01-18, 04:22 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Thanks. Unfortunately both bike shops in my area charge $35. $10 would be nice...
Old 02-01-18, 04:32 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by samkl
Thanks. Unfortunately both bike shops in my area charge $35. $10 would be nice...
you must be north eastern in the state..

Threaded rod should work. Don't use smaller 5/16 [8mm] dia rod. go as big as you can.
Old 02-01-18, 04:36 PM
samkl 

No, but in a big city. One shop said they'd charge me $20 if I ordered through them, but wanted $74 for the headset. I know they have to make a profit, but sheesh!

EDIT: Oh oops, northeastern IN the state. Yes, Chicago.

Last edited by samkl; 02-01-18 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-01-18, 05:18 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I've installed Cane Creek 40 headsets exactly like the ones on the 2004 Trek 520.

First you are going to have to get the headset cups out of the head tube. This is best done with a Headset Cup Removal Tool which will cost you about $20. You can do it with a hammer and punch or even a hammer and screwdriver but the risk is damaging the head tube.

Then you are going to have to press the new cups into the head tube. This can be done with a press or with a threaded rod. Don't press on the bearing faces but on the top of the cup. Go slow. Grease the cups where they come in contact with the headset. Threaded rod, nuts and washers will cost a few dollars.

You are also going to have to press a new crown race onto the fork. Some go on easy, some do not. A piece of PVC pipe can be used. Pipe will cost a few dollars.

My advice is to have the shop do it. $74 is not a great price but Cane Creek charges $61 themselves so it isn't a complete ripoff. $20 for the installation is dirt cheap. $94 for the whole thing and you don't have to get your hands dirty. It is probably a good time to replace brake cables, pads and any other bits that need it.

If you are near Atlanta you can come over and I'll do all while you stain my fence.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 02-01-18, 05:34 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
If you are near Atlanta you can come over and I'll do all while you stain my fence.

-Tim-
What a deal I agree, if it's a one off situation, let the shop do it. That said, this type of press is inexpensive and works very well.Nashbar Headset Press - Nashbar
Old 02-01-18, 05:35 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Cc40 I've priced out was less then 50usd.
go rent a slide hammer and bearing/race puller from autozone. Free but will require a deposit that's refunded once returned.
Old 02-01-18, 05:43 PM
samkl 

Thanks for the offer, Tim, and the advice. Next time I'm in Atlanta with a broken headset I'll say hi.

Luckily I have a bike co-op nearby with all the tools, though they use a threaded rod instead of a real-life headset press. I'm also able to buy the headset for the terrific price of $40. Plus I get the chance to learn how to put in a headset! So I think I'll take my chances.

I've installed Cane Creek 40 headsets exactly like the ones on the 2004 Trek 520.

First you are going to have to get the headset cups out of the head tube. This is best done with a Headset Cup Removal Tool which will cost you about $20. You can do it with a hammer and punch or even a hammer and screwdriver but the risk is damaging the head tube.

Then you are going to have to press the new cups into the head tube. This can be done with a press or with a threaded rod. Don't press on the bearing faces but on the top of the cup. Go slow. Grease the cups where they come in contact with the headset. Threaded rod, nuts and washers will cost a few dollars.

You are also going to have to press a new crown race onto the fork. Some go on easy, some do not. A piece of PVC pipe can be used. Pipe will cost a few dollars.

My advice is to have the shop do it. $74 is not a great price but Cane Creek charges $61 themselves so it isn't a complete ripoff. $20 for the installation is dirt cheap. $94 for the whole thing and you don't have to get your hands dirty. It is probably a good time to replace brake cables, pads and any other bits that need it.

-Tim-
Likes For samkl:
Old 02-01-18, 07:58 PM
IrishBrewer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

-Tim-
If you can get a hold of about an 18 inch length of steel 3/4 inch EMT electrical conduit and cut four equally spaced 5 inch slits down one end of the pipe, it makes a great cup remover. You just spread out the segments slightly at the cut end and thread the opposite end through the headset.
Old 02-01-18, 10:35 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
You'll be fine. The bearings on CC headsets are cartridge bearings that are removable from the external cups. Threaded rod with appropriately large washers to rest on the outside faces of the headset cups will be fine. I'd want some kind of headset cup removal tool, although I've built one out of split PVC that worked OK if used occasionally. Removing crown races is also a lot easier with the appropriate tools.

$35 doesn't sound crazy to: remove old crown race, press new crown race, remove headset cups, press new headset cups, reassemble headset. Common labor rates in metropolitan markets are usually around $60/hr. $74 is above MSRP so that's a little steep, also considering that margins on CC are reasonable (unlike, say, Shimano).

Good choice, BTW. I think 40s are a really nice go-to headset for those who value quality but aren't into spending silly quantities of money for weight/bling.
Old 02-01-18, 11:10 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
What a deal I agree, if it's a one off situation, let the shop do it. That said, this type of press is inexpensive and works very well.Nashbar Headset Press - Nashbar

I have that exact press and will use it on the OP's bike if he stains my fence.

I also have the Cane Creek drifts to fit the cups on the Cane Creek 40 headset so that it doesn't ruin the top of the cups when it is pressed in. He will get a quality job.

Good Wooster brushes and the good Olympic stain for him to use and plenty of Topo Chico too. Win-Win.

-Tim-
Old 02-01-18, 11:28 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Thanks for the offer, Tim, and the advice. Next time I'm in Atlanta with a broken headset I'll say hi.

Luckily I have a bike co-op nearby with all the tools, though they use a threaded rod instead of a real-life headset press. I'm also able to buy the headset for the terrific price of $40. Plus I get the chance to learn how to put in a headset! So I think I'll take my chances.
Let us know how it works out: I am considering the same set up.
Old 02-02-18, 07:43 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
You'll be fine. The bearings on CC headsets are cartridge bearings that are removable from the external cups. Threaded rod with appropriately large washers to rest on the outside faces of the headset cups will be fine. I'd want some kind of headset cup removal tool, although I've built one out of split PVC that worked OK if used occasionally. Removing crown races is also a lot easier with the appropriate tools.
+1 to all of the above. I have installed several headsets including a 1" threadless Cane Creek 40 headset in my older Litespeed frame using a threaded-rod home made press.

As noted, remove the bearing cartridges and use large washers to rest on the edges of the cups. I added leather washers under the metal washers to protect the cup edges but that was a precaution, not a necessity. Grease the cup shafts and install one at a time taking care to keep the rod centered in the head tube so the cup installs straight.

I have Nashbar's house brand cup removal tool (aka "rocket tool"). It worked very well and is pretty reasonably priced. I once made a PVC tool and it did one removal job properly and shattered during the second one.
Old 03-12-24, 01:50 PM
TourCountryside

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to replace the headset on my 2004 Trek 520. (It's a 1" threadless Cane Creek SC-1, for the curious.)

I've heard good things about the Cane Creek 40, and it comes in the size that I need. But I've also heard it it's hard to install using threaded rod method, because it can mess with the bearings (or something like that).

I'd rather avoid paying the $35 for a shop to do the work. Does anyone have experience putting in a CC40? Is it harder to install than a normal threadless headset?
Do you recall the size of the Cane Creek 40 you ordered/used? I have a Cane Creek SC1 on my 2007 Trek 520 and am looking to replace it with a 40 as well.
Old 03-12-24, 06:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by TourCountryside
Do you recall the size of the Cane Creek 40 you ordered/used? I have a Cane Creek SC1 on my 2007 Trek 520 and am looking to replace it with a 40 as well.
This is a thread from 2018. If you need a new headset take out your current headset and measure. In the end I might have my local shop do it. Unless you have all the tools to remove and install it is cheaper to just have your local shop do it and they will make sure they have the correct size.

Asking someone about a headset on a different bike (even if similar different model year) won't really help you at all unless they use the same size headset which it may or may not and the best way to know that is get the proper measurements first.

In the end you probably just need bearings and if you measure the bearings properly you can get new bearings from Cane Creek or someone else like NTN, SKF or F@G (no at symbol just a regular a but because unfortunately it is used as a nasty slur it is banned for usage but it was a company founded in the late 1880s)