Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Buy Crankset with rings just to replace my bike's worn rings

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Buy Crankset with rings just to replace my bike's worn rings

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-24, 09:29 PM
The Real Mowgli

Bikes: 1999 Gary Fisher ZigguRatRod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Buy a crankset with chainrings just to replace my bike's worn rings?

I just replaced the bottom bracket on my 1999 Fisher Ziggurat and see that the chainrings are badly worn.
Here's a cheap set of cranks with rings but someone in reviews says this set needs a 138mm spindle.
Maybe 138, way longer than my current 110 anyway.
If I buy this set and the cranks don't work on my bike I could just swap the rings to my current crankset right?

Here's the set at the jungle website - amazon.com/SHIMANO-Hybrid-Crankset-Black-175mm/dp/B002I7K5KS/

Here's my bike's specs - bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?item=87170

Thanks

Last edited by The Real Mowgli; 03-11-24 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-11-24, 09:42 PM
The Real Mowgli

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
...also my 9 speed cassette is HyperGlide.
Does my front chainset need to also be HG to work correctly?
Do HG systems need an HG specific chain?

Thanks
Old 03-11-24, 09:51 PM
The Real Mowgli

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
OK, Google tells me HG is a sprocket configuration so it probably doesn't need specific chain & rings.

Originally Posted by The Real Mowgli
...also my 9 speed cassette is HyperGlide.
Does my front chainset need to also be HG to work correctly?
Do HG systems need an HG specific chain?

Thanks
Old 03-11-24, 10:24 PM
Nwvlvtnr 

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 81 Posts
Some missing information here, yes the the crank should be nearly a drop in replacement but would likely need a longer BB to dial in the chain line. Both cranksets appear to be 104 - 4 BCD out and likely a 64 - 4 granny. If the rings are a match you could use the new chain rings on the old crank avoiding a BB replacement.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-bcd.html
Likes For Nwvlvtnr:
Old 03-11-24, 10:52 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Are you sure the "wear" on your chain rings just aren't the various "shift aids" that are the norm on multiple chain ring bikes?
Not sure what those are? Look at a new bike.

Is the chain skipping? If not, the rings are probably good.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 03-12-24, 12:44 AM
The Real Mowgli

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nwvlvtnr
Some missing information here, yes the the crank should be nearly a drop in replacement but would likely need a longer BB to dial in the chain line. Both cranksets appear to be 104 - 4 BCD out and likely a 64 - 4 granny. If the rings are a match you could use the new chain rings on the old crank avoiding a BB replacement.
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Are you sure the "wear" on your chain rings just aren't the various "shift aids" that are the norm on multiple chain ring bikes?
Not sure what those are? Look at a new bike.

Is the chain skipping? If not, the rings are probably good.

It at least needs new rings. It's been abused.
All different shapes of teeth, mostly pointy and there's even a tooth missing from the middle ring.
Somehow the chain checks out as new-ish with my Park chain wear indicator. Not even .5 fits.
LBS said it might be stretched so much that it's reaching to to fit the next link. Smells like BS to me.

I'll post pictures after a few more posts. N00Bs can't post attachments until after 10 posts.

Last edited by The Real Mowgli; 03-12-24 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-12-24, 04:19 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
You’re supposed to use a HG chain on a HG cassette but in the real world…
Likes For choddo:
Old 03-12-24, 07:41 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Here is your picture. Yeah, that middle ring is worn!

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/33004497

Bigger pic here.... https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ae99c5e035.jpg

Just let us know it's in the Gallery here and someone will add it to the thread for you till you get your magic 10 posts.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-12-24 at 07:46 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-12-24, 07:45 AM
The Real Mowgli

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
You’re supposed to use a HG chain on a HG cassette but in the real world…
There's an HG chain in my cart. On the flipside, will an HG chain work on a non-HG cassette?
Old 03-12-24, 09:39 AM
13ollocks

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
I just replaced the bottom bracket on my 1999 Fisher Ziggurat and see that the chainrings are badly worn.
Here's a cheap set of cranks with rings but someone in reviews says this set needs a 138mm spindle.
Maybe 138, way longer than my current 110 anyway.
If I buy this set and the cranks don't work on my bike I could just swap the rings to my current crankset right?

Here's the set at the jungle website - amazon.com/SHIMANO-Hybrid-Crankset-Black-175mm/dp/B002I7K5KS/

Here's my bike's specs - bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?item=87170

Thanks
I routinely buy a whole NOS crankset as a cheaper option to paying retail for new rings. If I can further recoup $$ by selling the unused crank arms, all the better.
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 03-13-24, 12:26 AM
The Real Mowgli

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Here is your picture. Yeah, that middle ring is worn!
Bigger pic here....

Just let us know it's in the Gallery here and someone will add it to the thread for you till you get your magic 10 posts.
Thanks Iride01

See if I can even quote a picture in #8. I had to snip an URL out of a previous post.

...and I need to wait again. 5 posts in 24 hours limit. Will that limit also end after magical #10?
Old 03-13-24, 12:39 AM
The Real Mowgli

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I bought a replacement LX crankset with very good looking rings. Same as mine but it looks barely used.
Likes For The Real Mowgli:
Old 03-13-24, 12:42 AM
The Real Mowgli

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
...and a NOS replacement HG 9 speed LX cassette from the same guy. That's 10 posts.

Last edited by The Real Mowgli; 03-13-24 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-13-24, 12:46 AM
The Real Mowgli

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
https://scontent-bos5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...-A&oe=65F6D5CC

Weird. It says data corrupt when I try to post it as an attachment but the link to the picture works.
Old 03-13-24, 12:33 PM
The Real Mowgli

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
BF doesn't seem to like posting pictures hosted at Facebook.
Not crankset (or bikes) related but here's an old pic I posted at a different site.

Alrighty then. This forum sofware doesn't like posting pics hosted at FB. Noted.

Last edited by The Real Mowgli; 03-13-24 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-13-24, 02:52 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
All different shapes of teeth, mostly pointy and there's even a tooth missing from the middle ring.
Somehow the chain checks out as new-ish with my Park chain wear indicator. Not even .5 fits.
LBS said it might be stretched so much that it's reaching to to fit the next link. Smells like BS to me.

I'll post pictures after a few more posts. N00Bs can't post attachments until after 10 posts.
Abused is really the right word for this drivetrain. I'm not sure it has enough miles to significantly wear chainrings. On many bikes chainrings are a lifetime installment. But these chainrings show evidence of numerous shifts under load. If that's you doing that ... you should stop. If you bought it like that from a previous owner ... eef, I wouldn't have. Not sure why the new triple needs so much longer a BB spindle. Can you double check that? But, as another poster noted, as long as the new crank isn't a unit triple with bolted together rings, then you can just move them over to your existing crank-arms. As for chain wear. Before you write off the LBS's BS, is it possible that they may be onto something? TBH I've never used a chainwear indicator in anger. When things start skipping is usually what I wait for. How many miles are on the drivetrain? No wear at all is just as suspect as so much wear that the odometer is coming around to zero again ...
Old 03-13-24, 05:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
So typically you want to post in other threads to get those 10 posts..get active in the threads, you will have some fun!

Ziggs are good bikes, I just built a frame up for a friend with some 10 speed Deore and some no name cranks disc front and V-brakes at the rear (because they are actual Shimano made brakes not just linear pull brakes from someone else) and the bike is quite awesome. A goofy little 1x10 mountain bike but was fun to ride the short time I rode it sadly it didn't fit me well enough to ride it but my friend was quite happy.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-13-24, 06:37 PM
The Real Mowgli

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Abused is really the right word for this drivetrain. I'm not sure it has enough miles to significantly wear chainrings. On many bikes chainrings are a lifetime installment. But these chainrings show evidence of numerous shifts under load. If that's you doing that ... you should stop. If you bought it like that from a previous owner ... eef, I wouldn't have. Not sure why the new triple needs so much longer a BB spindle. Can you double check that? But, as another poster noted, as long as the new crank isn't a unit triple with bolted together rings, then you can just move them over to your existing crank-arms. As for chain wear. Before you write off the LBS's BS, is it possible that they may be onto something? TBH I've never used a chainwear indicator in anger. When things start skipping is usually what I wait for. How many miles are on the drivetrain? No wear at all is just as suspect as so much wear that the odometer is coming around to zero again ...
He bought it new and rode the hell out of it every season for 20+ years.
He only replaced what broke and I don't know when if it ever saw the shop.

The new (to me) triple/cranks that are on the way are used but in very good condition.
It's the same model that's on it now so they use the same BB.
My original BB was a UN52, I installed a NOS UN55 that's regarded as a mild upgrade but same 73/110mm configuration.
Different spindle lengths are to line up different cranks/rings with the bike's frame geometry to keep a straight chainline right?

The set on Jungle website in my OP was just an idea.
I was considering swapping the rings but after a good look I'm in for replacing with better condition cranks as well.

I don't know where you got the idea that I checked the chain in anger lol.
The shop checked it and I checked it when I got my own indicator tool. None of us were angry
Can a chain stretch so much that a chainlength indicator tries to fit between the next set of links?
That's what LBS suspected. That the chain was worn a half inch over it's length. Doesn't seem possible.

All conjecture's moot at this point. New and near new complete drivetrain is on the way.

I know that everything I don't have to replace makes for better value but I like the bike and if it's 75% new by the time it's reliable that's OK. When I rode back in the 90's I replaced/upgraded everything on my Rockadile over time. The only thing original on it was the frame. At least if that happens again it's a helluva good frame.

Last edited by The Real Mowgli; 03-13-24 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-13-24, 06:58 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
Can a chain stretch so much that a chainlength indicator tries to fit between the next set of links?
That's what LBS suspected. That the chain was worn a half inch over it's length. Doesn't seem possible.
This is possible, but would be very easy to confirm using a ruler, or comparing with a new chain, or even just eyeballing it for an experienced mechanic.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 03-13-24, 07:00 PM
The Real Mowgli

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The drivetrain cleaned up real nice. Gap-toothed grin but shiny.

ZigguRatRod
Old 03-13-24, 07:14 PM
The Real Mowgli

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
This is possible, but would be very easy to confirm using a ruler, or comparing with a new chain, or even just eyeballing it for an experienced mechanic.
I misspoke.
I meant an inch over the length of the indicator, not over the length of the whole chain.
That would give the pins/rollers many percent of slop, not 1/2% to 3/4%
Old 03-13-24, 08:37 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts

In answer to the question you posted after this as well as this, yup, you can have a chain stretched to the point that it fits into the next space down. Only seen it a couple of times but it can happen. Gets real obvious when you toss a new chain on and it doesn't even try to fit between the teeth of the chainrings that have worn to match the chain.
Likes For Russ Roth: