Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel stand 'lock' for polishing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-24, 02:07 PM
SharpByCoop 
My Workshop = Happy Place

Bikes: Schwinns, and many others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 56 Posts

I'm doing a bunch of refurbishing of wheels and rims. Polishing them yeilds SUCH great results. You will agree.

I found it hard to polish rims on my stand. When I used the cloth I want to pull it 3/4 around the spoke, and it made me shoulder it to stabilize. Messy and imperfect.

So I created a little arm which pivots and captures the spoke. I wrapped it with some electrical tape to prevent rattling and scratches. Not ideal, but it works.

Do a couple of sections, lift, rotate, lock in. Repeat.

I'll just say this was a game changer for me. I'm sharing because it was so simple and effective.

Coop
Old 03-13-24, 02:23 PM
13ollocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by SharpByCoop
I'm doing a bunch of refurbishing of wheels and rims. Polishing them yeilds SUCH great results. You will agree.

I found it hard to polish rims on my stand. When I used the cloth I want to pull it 3/4 around the spoke, and it made me shoulder it to stabilize. Messy and imperfect.

So I created a little arm which pivots and captures the spoke. I wrapped it with some electrical tape to prevent rattling and scratches. Not ideal, but it works.

I'll just say this was a game changer for me. I'm sharing because it was so simple and effective.

Coop
Excellent - a definite hack.
Old 03-13-24, 05:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Rack struts are the unsung heroes of making cool cycling stuff. My business partner and I built a chain keeper because he couldn't buy a N/W chainring at the moment so I said use this piece of rack strut and he went work building and I told him no do this, make room for that yada yada and it now works and the chain doesn't come off and with a little black nail polish you cannot tell it is not a stock piece or something.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-13-24, 06:20 PM
Weogo

Bikes: 2022 HudSki Doggler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Nice!
Old 03-14-24, 07:49 AM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts

Coop
Really like this simple modification. Will put a copy on a post of mine called “Truing stand modification” just so I have it in one place. Very handy when building wheels and you get called away for dinner, I use a peg to mark where I am but like the usefulness of this. Well done!
Old 03-14-24, 01:14 PM
SharpByCoop 
My Workshop = Happy Place

Bikes: Schwinns, and many others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 56 Posts
BTW, As you would hope, I tightened it firm but not tight, and used red Loctite on the nut, and grease on the sides of the bar.

Thanks guys!
Likes For SharpByCoop:
Old 03-14-24, 01:46 PM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
BTW, As you would hope, I tightened it firm but not tight, and used red Loctite on the nut, and grease on the sides of the bar.

Thanks guys!
My God the man uses RED loctite, runaway my BLUE friends he does not mess around! I bet he kicks sand in the face of PURPLE loctite users! Lol.