Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Why LBS does not deserve my business

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Why LBS does not deserve my business

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-09, 02:03 PM
rs1101
punk kid.

Bikes: 1970's Nishiki, Late 70's Centurion Super Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Totoro
I normally do all the work on my bicycles and the only time I step foot in a bike shop is to buy a new bike, or some parts/accessories. I never take my bikes in for work...until last week.

I got a great deal on a mail order bike for the wife. However, after I got it all assembled, I noticed that the wheels were both laterally and vertically out of true. This is the first bike I have bought that was not vertically true, and rather than spend a ton of time adjusting for both, I thought I would take it in to the LBS because they could do it faster and better with a truing stand (I thought). Anyway, so I get there and the guy says that for a few bucks more he can do a full tuning on the bike including truing adjusting all brakes and cables, lube, etc. So I get suckered into saying yes.

Anyway, I get a call a few days later and the bike is finished. The wife has to go that way anyway, so she picks it up. When it arrives at home I am wondering what the hell I spent $50 for. Sure, they had lubed the thing, but the brake pads were about a half inch from the rim and the wheels were still out of true, BOTH laterally and vertically. I should have spent the money on a truing stand instead.

Long story short, I am never going to waste my money like that again. Funny thing is that they are always busy doing these "tune ups." Don't people notice that they are getting shafted? Anyway, I always hear people saying how I should give business to my LBS rather than order online. They don't deserve it.
When we get a bike out of the box, at least at my shop, many many times we come up with issues that require wheel truing, re-engineering on our part, or warranty. Ex, schwinn. every single box we get from schwinn looks like they gave it a going away beating with baseball bats. But anywho... thats all part of building up a bike at a bike shop, is making these adjustments. I have seen some horribly bent wheels. Which is why a great deal on the internet might not be such a great deal in general, unless youre willing to risk it.
It does sound like your bike got miscommunicated to the staff at this shop, when you primarily needed a wheel true, once they wrote down 'tune up' and handed it to the tech, the wheel true must have been forgotten. Hopefully you complained to a manager/owner? Businesses can't alleviate problems without feedback from good customers.
A good shop should help you out.
Old 01-21-09, 12:48 AM
Mondoman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I suspect that quality and service vary as much among LBS's as they do among auto repair shops.
Old 01-21-09, 05:40 AM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Friend of mine's car broke down on the other end of his state - so he went to a local garage and had it repaired. Then he brought it in to his usual garage (Cambridge, Mass), which was run by rather nasty looking people. He figures they noticed the other shop's parts/repairs. He got his car back and was driving it for about 10 miles - before the engine went up in a fireball.

Aren't you glad you ride a bike?
Old 01-22-09, 06:12 AM
Totoro
King of the Forest

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Panthers007
Friend of mine's car broke down on the other end of his state - so he went to a local garage and had it repaired. Then he brought it in to his usual garage (Cambridge, Mass), which was run by rather nasty looking people. He figures they noticed the other shop's parts/repairs. He got his car back and was driving it for about 10 miles - before the engine went up in a fireball.

Aren't you glad you ride a bike?

The EXACT same thing happened to my boss. Of course, once the engine starts burning, it is not long before the entire car is a ball of flames.
Old 01-22-09, 08:52 AM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Severian
+1... I was crafting a response similar to this where I was about to point out that you cannot bring a NEXT (or some of the bikes from nashbar, bikesdirect, or performance) up to the level of tune that you can get out of a Colnago.
If a Motobecane from BD has the same components as a Colnago then they can be made to work the same.
Old 01-22-09, 09:07 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by LarDasse74
If a Motobecane from BD has the same components as a Colnago then they can be made to work the same.
Not neccessarily so. Factors such as chain stay length and BB drop can greatly affect things like chain rub.
Dan
Old 01-22-09, 09:48 AM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Not neccessarily so. Factors such as chain stay length and BB drop can greatly affect things like chain rub.
Dan
Yes but most bikes fall within a very tight range of shapes and sizes. Provided the frame is 'normal' and properly aligned there is no problem getting a good components set to work perfectly.

Also, the example we are using, Colnago, has a super high bling-factor, but is not necessarily any better quality than a lot of the 'mass manufactured' brands like Specialized, Trek, Giant, etc...

I worked at a shop where we sold Colnago for a while but we dropped the line because their 'legendary' quality was a lot less than we expected, but you still pay $$$$$$$ as if they were welded by Jesus while Elvis mitred the tubes*.

(*phrase stolen from a bike magazine from years ago)
Old 01-23-09, 02:56 AM
bikinfool
I have senior moments...

Bikes: Many

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So why couldn't you spend the time it took to take the bike to a shop to do the work yourself since you do all your own work? And when you did get it back and "fixed" it did a half-assed job? And then complain about someone else? I'm missing something here...
Old 01-23-09, 12:44 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

This will, no doubt, cause some to jump on me but - maybe sometimes a shop will treat a customer's bike like dogpoop if he/she didn't buy it there. But that is probably a relatively rare event. If I bring one of my custom machines to a LBS and they screw up the job I needed done - I don't think it's because I didn't have them build me the custom machine in the first place. That rather smacks of being a conspiracy-theory.

Occam's Razor tells me that the real reason is: One, maybe more, of the mechanics there is not qualified. One sees this in automotive shops all the time. There are good mechanics. There are great mechanics. And finding these can be very difficult. Hence - there are rotten mechanics. I've had experience with all three of the above.

I live in Podunk on the shores of Lake Woebegone. Finding a qualified bicycle-mechanic up here, who is professionally trained and used to working with tools that are bike-specific - like Park and Pedros - is like the proverbial 'needle-in-a-haystack.' Most are kids who worked on their bikes with vice-grips and hammers. A shop owner has to retrain these monkeys from the ground up. I have an application from the best LBS up here. It states: "No experience necessary. Will train." After several problems, I learned my lesson. I won't let them near my bicycles again. I only brought them there due to a lack of time on my part. Now I'll make my time available to tend my own steeds as I am a very good mechanic - I don't know everything, but I have resources to learn new tricks as needed.

The best revenge is doing better. So I'm seriously considering filling out that application. Then I'll help train the monkeys at the LBS.
Old 01-23-09, 12:53 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
Selling bicycles is how your local bike shop owners & employes put bread on the table. I would never ever ever ever leave a new mail order bike for them to fix. Thats just bad news. The same goes for new mail order parts. Any shop i have ever been around , well lets say, you didn't hear it from me but they won't treat your bike parts with much respect.
Depends on the LBS. I have had excellent service from my currently used one and will have them install the French headset I just purchased on line. I asked if they had a source for it and was told no.

I expect to pay for the work and have no guilty feelings as I have bought two bikes from them in the last year.
Old 01-23-09, 01:21 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With the grade of rim that the OP is referring to it could well be that eliminating radial runout is not going to happen. Lots of rims are not truly round and have flat spots as manufactured. You are not going to get them round and have correct spoke tension on all the spokes. As I recall Peter White Cycles has a mention of this difficulty on their web site and they do not build wheels with inexpensive rims so even the better rim makers goof up occasionally. Shipping damage can also flat a rim.

Also LBS's do vary in quality, both iin sales and service from my experience. If you live in a metropolitan area then ask around among serious riders and racers for their experience and opinions on who the quality shops are locally, and who to avoid like the plague.

I have personal experience years ago with a Honda auto dealership who was lying about wear parts condition to increase parts sales and service revenue while overlooking a steering defect that could have killed me. They lost my business forever.
Old 01-23-09, 09:23 PM
JustChuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LarDasse74
I worked at a shop
Everyone see that? LarDasse must be basing how shops operate on how he operated when he was in a shop.
LarDasse is the one with no respect for a bike he did not sell. Do not take your bike to him, or a tool like him, and you will be fine.
Any real mechanic has respect for the owner of what he is working on regardless of their bikes base quality or origin. At the very least pride in ones labor should come in to play, unless you are LarDasse
Old 01-23-09, 10:34 PM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Someone brought in a new Motobecane 29'er (From BD, of course) today for us to assemble.
Rob completely disassembled it, lubed everything, and reassembled the bike, even replacing the missing concave washer from the front Avid disc brake. We charged the guy $45. He was happy, we were happy, and no one blew snot on his bike or shoved dead shrimp down the seat tube.

Remind me to never go to these shops you guys talk about...
Old 01-23-09, 10:53 PM
JustChuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PlatyPius
Someone brought in a new Motobecane 29'er (From BD, of course) today for us to assemble.
Rob completely disassembled it, lubed everything, and reassembled the bike, even replacing the missing concave washer from the front Avid disc brake. We charged the guy $45. He was happy, we were happy, and no one blew snot on his bike or shoved dead shrimp down the seat tube.

Remind me to never go to these shops you guys talk about...
The shop should not be happy with that charge. If the bike was truly "disassembled" and put back together and adjusted, by someone that is skilled and paid properly, the shop lost money. $45 would not even cover salary, much less power, rent, insurance.(However, I also undercut repair charges in the winter, just to keep some cash flowing)
Old 01-23-09, 11:18 PM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JustChuck
The shop should not be happy with that charge. If the bike was truly "disassembled" and put back together and adjusted, by someone that is skilled and paid properly, the shop lost money. $45 would not even cover salary, much less power, rent, insurance.(However, I also undercut repair charges in the winter, just to keep some cash flowing)
Rob is the partner in the store.

And it was slow. He was apparently in a good mood. Normally we charge $60-$90 to do that job.
Old 01-24-09, 06:36 AM
Totoro
King of the Forest

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikinfool
So why couldn't you spend the time it took to take the bike to a shop to do the work yourself since you do all your own work? And when you did get it back and "fixed" it did a half-assed job? And then complain about someone else? I'm missing something here...
I ASSUMED the shop would do a better job, using better tools, AND that true meant lateral and radial. I ASSUMED wrong. The lesson is DON'T assume the shop can do a better job.
Old 01-24-09, 09:41 AM
blamp28
Bikaholic

Bikes: Trek Fuel 90, Giant OCR, Rans Screamer Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The shop certainly should have done a better job but that is not the lesson. The lesson is that clear communications will produce a better outcome. First communicate your expectations and the cost clearly. Second communicate with management IF and when those clearly discussed expectations are not met by their employees and give them the opportunity to make it right. The bigger picture and lesson is that things are not always as they seem. With all of the time, money and effort including the drawn out Internet discussion, was this bike really a bargain? I would submit that it has now cost more than a decent bike bought locally. YMMV
Old 01-24-09, 12:17 PM
keisatsu
Eternal n00b

Bikes: Giant OCR3, Marin Mount Vision, '94 Bontrager Racelite, Mirraco Blink

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Totoro
I normally do all the work on my bicycles and the only time I step foot in a bike shop is to buy a new bike, or some parts/accessories. I never take my bikes in for work...until last week.

I got a great deal on a mail order bike for the wife. However, after I got it all assembled, I noticed that the wheels were both laterally and vertically out of true. This is the first bike I have bought that was not vertically true, and rather than spend a ton of time adjusting for both, I thought I would take it in to the LBS because they could do it faster and better with a truing stand (I thought). Anyway, so I get there and the guy says that for a few bucks more he can do a full tuning on the bike including truing adjusting all brakes and cables, lube, etc. So I get suckered into saying yes.

Anyway, I get a call a few days later and the bike is finished. The wife has to go that way anyway, so she picks it up. When it arrives at home I am wondering what the hell I spent $50 for. Sure, they had lubed the thing, but the brake pads were about a half inch from the rim and the wheels were still out of true, BOTH laterally and vertically. I should have spent the money on a truing stand instead.

Long story short, I am never going to waste my money like that again. Funny thing is that they are always busy doing these "tune ups." Don't people notice that they are getting shafted? Anyway, I always hear people saying how I should give business to my LBS rather than order online. They don't deserve it.
I see your problem, you've failed to tip your mechanic with beer, a six pack of dark beer goes a loooong way in getting your bike race-ready.
Old 01-25-09, 12:02 AM
Chuckie J.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember the first time I attempted doing a significant repair on my bike-- the rear brake cable had snapped. I was LOST. I had no idea how cables even worked. I thought the housing was merely a protective cover. After letting it sit for a couple weeks, I took it to an LBS and all was well.

Fast forward 15 years and I now do all my own bike work including wheelbuilding, headset pressing, cable work-- everything. I have the tools and slowly picked up the knowledge (mainly through BF, thanks everyone!)

The LBS has its place but once you know how to do the work, there's no comparison.
Old 01-25-09, 11:30 AM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Here is another nugget to throw on the fire:

I paid my LBS to OVERHAUL a high-end bike for me. Many of my tools had been stolen and I was awaiting several shipments to replace them. So I specified that they were to OVERHAUL the hubs, BB, and headset. They charged me $110.00 for this task.

I retired the wheels recently - Mavic Module E2 rims, DT 14g spokes - and Campy Record hubset from 1982. I just took out all the spokes to free the front hub. Opened the hub and, can you guess? - There was the same grease I had last used. Bullshot grease from the 1990's. Pink stuff. No longer available. So I went to check the rear hub - same story. Bottom-bracket - ditto. Headset - ditto.

All they had done was wash the frame. Replaced the cables. And (improperly and against my wishes) taped the handlebars with new foam tape. Yuck! They also left the brakes way out of adjustment.

I'll leave it to you, reader, to form your own conclusion.
Old 01-25-09, 12:20 PM
invwnut
I don't even own a cat...

Bikes: 2008 LG sonix 6.4, 2002 KHS Flite 500, 1999 Big Sur Gary Fisher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JustChuck
That shop is very reputible. That shop is where I tell people to go to. The prices are inline with the area. Actually what the shop owner did was honorable. I've known car mechanics who will go the extra mile to make it right, even at the cost of their time. Remember Chuck, that the money was his time. If it took less than 2hrs of work that is more than $22.50/hr. That's nothing to sneeze over, especially since it was slow. That shop may have earned more business from the bike owner and new business from the bike owner's aquaintences or friends. The "wow" factor and word of mouth goes a long way in any business.
Old 01-25-09, 06:53 PM
JustChuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by invwnut
That shop is very reputible. That shop is where I tell people to go to. The prices are inline with the area. Actually what the shop owner did was honorable. I've known car mechanics who will go the extra mile to make it right, even at the cost of their time. Remember Chuck, that the money was his time. If it took less than 2hrs of work that is more than $22.50/hr. That's nothing to sneeze over, especially since it was slow. That shop may have earned more business from the bike owner and new business from the bike owner's aquaintences or friends. The "wow" factor and word of mouth goes a long way in any business.
I said nothing about the quality of the work or the shop. This:"If the bike was truly "disassembled" and put back together and adjusted, by someone that is skilled and paid properly, the shop lost money.", was just a qualifier because "completely disassembled" means different things to different people. To me it means stripped to a bare frame with hubs and headset disassembled. The other part of that, "someone that is skilled and paid properly" was just meant to indicate someone that is skilled and paid for that wage like they should be, not to indicate they had the fireball do the work.

My point is that it is often not in a shops best interest to do repairs for less than it costs to run the business. $22.50 sounds good, but once you subtract the mechanics pay, the employers balance of benefits, power, interest on unsold bikes, and rent, you end up in a hole. For instance, at our shop it costs $17.85 per hour just to pay the rent. So, unless that mechanic was getting paid less than $5 an hour, the shop lost money(Actually the shop lost money even he worked for free). There are other mechanics labor and sales of bikes and parts to offset this, but when it is slow, not so much. So you don't want to undercut yourself anymore than you have to. As I said in the last line, I offer deals on repair in the winter to bring in business, but I have to balance a deal with actually covering the cost of the business.

As far as WOW factor, charging a proper price and doing excellent work in a timely fashion will get you more useful word of mouth than performing repairs for less than your expenses and going out of business or explaining why some customers get deals and others do not to the guy not getting the deal.