Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Help getting from Plattsburgh, NY to Rouses Point, NY

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-24, 12:51 PM
shale32

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am new here, but not new to bike touring. A couple of friends and I plan to tackle our last stretch of the Empire State Trail in late May. We want to ride from Rouses Point to Albany. We have reserved a pick up truck for us to drive us and our bikes and gear to Plattburgh from Maryland, but need a way to get to the Canadian Border (Rounses Point) to "officially" complete the entire Empire State Trail. Does anyone know how we can do that? We have contacted someone at a bike shop in Plattsburgh to find out about a shuttle, but welcome other ideas or experiences. TIA
Old 02-25-24, 01:58 PM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
There's a bus. Clinton County Public Transport. I've never ridden it myself, but I've heard they allow bikes.
Likes For Thulsadoom:
Old 02-25-24, 02:37 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Umm…. bike it ?, it’s 25 miles, maybe 2-1/2 hrs. Maybe the PU driver could drop you off 30 minutes up the road ?
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 02-25-24, 02:54 PM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Check out the cue sheets of the Champlain Valley Trail
https://empiretrail.ny.gov/map
Old 02-26-24, 08:00 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by shale32
I am new here, but not new to bike touring. A couple of friends and I plan to tackle our last stretch of the Empire State Trail in late May. We want to ride from Rouses Point to Albany. We have reserved a pick up truck for us to drive us and our bikes and gear to Plattburgh from Maryland, but need a way to get to the Canadian Border (Rounses Point) to "officially" complete the entire Empire State Trail. Does anyone know how we can do that? We have contacted someone at a bike shop in Plattsburgh to find out about a shuttle, but welcome other ideas or experiences. TIA
hopefully you respond, but are you tight for time, ie riding days?
How many miles do you plan roughly to ride per day, 20, 40, 60?
I have a recommendation for you but will see if you answer.
cheers
Old 02-26-24, 08:02 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
What's wrong with just riding up on Route 9? I drive through that area occasionally. It's sparsely populated, not much going on. Not that much extra distance to do the round trip.
Old 02-26-24, 03:50 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Or, it might be fun to take the ferry to Burlington and ride up through the islands ( check that the little bike shuttle ferry on the causeway is running). At Alburgh, follow the main road across the bridge to Rouses Point, stay at a nice B&B there (Au Born du Lac) and start fresh the next morning.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 02-26-24, 04:02 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Or, it might be fun to take the ferry to Burlington and ride up through the islands ( check that the little bike shuttle ferry on the causeway is running). At Alburgh, follow the main road across the bridge to Rouses Point, stay at a nice B&B there (Au Born du Lac) and start fresh the next morning.
In 2023 I was looking for the ferry that went from Burlington to Plattsburgh and apparently it was still closed from 2022 on - https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...on/7565784001/ Are you thinking of that ferry or the one that now goes to Grand Island?
Old 02-27-24, 08:09 PM
shale32

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
hopefully you respond, but are you tight for time, ie riding days?
How many miles do you plan roughly to ride per day, 20, 40, 60?
I have a recommendation for you but will see if you answer.
cheers
HI,
We are planning to drive on a Friday in May and if we can get a ride to Rouses Point, begin our ride that day. Otherwise, we will ride from Plattburgh, 40-60 miles per day. for the next 3 days. It varies due to where we were able to get lodging for each night.
Old 02-27-24, 08:11 PM
shale32

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you suggesting an out & back from Plattsburgh? That would be 50ish miles, a whole day of rifing. We don't have time. We have4 days.
Old 02-27-24, 08:32 PM
djb

HI,
We are planning to drive on a Friday in May and if we can get a ride to Rouses Point, begin our ride that day. Otherwise, we will ride from Plattburgh, 40-60 miles per day. for the next 3 days. It varies due to where we were able to get lodging for each night.
Thanks. My suggestion wouldn't work then. It was similar to someone else, to get a ferry over to the islands and make your way to rouses point that way.

I've ridden the islands a few times, including one of my very first bike trips, maybe in 89. Pretty place to ride. I rode down them again going from Montreal to Boston not too many years ago and still found it pretty.
I've also ridden from lake George up to the Quebec side ten years ago +, followed the road on the west side of the lake. No clear memories of it, so not great but not bad either.

I hope you can all find a ride to rouses point.
Perhaps ask at bike stores, perhaps someone would have a friend with a big pickup or whatever, happy to make some extra cash for a 50 mile round trip drive.
Likes For djb:
Old 02-27-24, 09:38 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Are you suggesting an out & back from Plattsburgh? That would be 50ish miles, a whole day of rifing. We don't have time. We have4 days.
Well, this now sounds like you are kind of asking a stupid question. You can’t get a ride to Rouses Point and don’t have the time to ride the distances you want to do, so looks like you’ll be riding south from Plattsburgh. Or find an extra day.
Old 02-28-24, 04:22 AM
shale32

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Well, this now sounds like you are kind of asking a stupid question. You can’t get a ride to Rouses Point and don’t have the time to ride the distances you want to do, so looks like you’ll be riding south from Plattsburgh. Or find an extra day.
Wow, Steve. No need to be rude. My original question was asking for help arranging a ride to Rouses Point from Plattsburgh because we could make a 25 mile ride happen based on our schedule, but not 50 die to the distance we would be driving on the first day of our adventure.

​​​
Old 02-28-24, 04:31 AM
shale32

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Thanks. My suggestion wouldn't work then. It was similar to someone else, to get a ferry over to the islands and make your way to rouses point that way.

I've ridden the islands a few times, including one of my very first bike trips, maybe in 89. Pretty place to ride. I rode down them again going from Montreal to Boston not too many years ago and still found it pretty.
I've also ridden from lake George up to the Quebec side ten years ago +, followed the road on the west side of the lake. No clear memories of it, so not great but not bad either.

I hope you can all find a ride to rouses point.
Perhaps ask at bike stores, perhaps someone would have a friend with a big pickup or whatever, happy to make some extra cash for a 50 mile round trip drive.
Thank you, djb. We are thinking that might be our only hope, based on our research so far.
Old 02-28-24, 04:35 AM
shale32

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom
There's a bus. Clinton County Public Transport. I've never ridden it myself, but I've heard they allow bikes.
Thank you! I'll check that out
Old 02-28-24, 05:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
+1. You might have a “Planes, Trains & Automobiles” experience.
Old 02-28-24, 07:46 AM
djb

Thank you, djb. We are thinking that might be our only hope, based on our research so far.
Do you have a specific reason you are staying in Plattsburg, rather than looking for accomodations in Rouses Point and possibly asking your first drive to continue up to Rouses Point the day of car traveling day?
I have no idea of how many hours by car from Maryland to Plattsburg, I even have to look up where is Maryland, I'm Canadian.

PS, just saw where Maryland is, holy geez, thats a good long way, 500 miles 800 kms. That is a long days drive.
Old 02-28-24, 02:35 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by djb
Do you have a specific reason you are staying in Plattsburg, rather than looking for accomodations in Rouses Point and possibly asking your first drive to continue up to Rouses Point the day of car traveling day?
I have no idea of how many hours by car from Maryland to Plattsburg, I even have to look up where is Maryland, I'm Canadian.

PS, just saw where Maryland is, holy geez, thats a good long way, 500 miles 800 kms. That is a long days drive.
This is why I am having some questions about how the trip is being planned. I get the info that the vehicle portion of the ride can only go as far as Plattsburgh, not Rouse Point, which is 25 miles, which after driving up from Maryland I would think is maybe 20 minutes up I87. That’s somewhat puzzling and I probably should not ask as Ive already been called rude. Maryland is near 600 miles and about an 8 hr. drive, so that extra 20 minutes is what’s puzzling. Might be a good reason, we can’t know based on what we’ve been told.
Old 02-28-24, 06:50 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Possibly asking your first drive to continue up to Rouses Point the day of car traveling day?
I am not the OP, but interpreted the sentence "We have reserved a pick up truck for us to drive us and our bikes and gear to Plattburgh" as one-way rental car probably dropping off at the Plattsburgh airport...

If that were the case, then at minimum one would drop all but one at Rouses Point and then meeting the person who dropped off the rental car on the way south...
Old 02-28-24, 07:12 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by mev
I am not the OP, but interpreted the sentence "We have reserved a pick up truck for us to drive us and our bikes and gear to Plattburgh" as one-way rental car probably dropping off at the Plattsburgh airport...

If that were the case, then at minimum one would drop all but one at Rouses Point and then meeting the person who dropped off the rental car on the way south...
Oh, ok, that’s a maybe. I think I would just skip Rouses Point and start in Plattsburgh.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 02-29-24, 05:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Oh, ok, that’s a maybe. I think I would just skip Rouses Point and start in Plattsburgh.
So would I, but maybe there is a desire to say they did the entire thing. I distinctly remember Pedal PA in 1998. One day was a tough near century. Two guys rode around and around at the college we were staying at that day just so they could claim a full century.
Old 03-04-24, 10:28 AM
bktourer1

If you make it to Rouses Point, there is a really good place for food just before the bridge that goes over Lake Champlain.
There is a motel and a Warm showers host ( if you are a member) in RP
Old 03-08-24, 06:44 AM
djb

shale, how is the group opinion on what to do going?
Old 03-10-24, 11:39 AM
bktourer1

Option 1: Leave real early, ride to RP then back to Plattsburg (4+ hours round trip)
If you make it to Rouses Point, there is a really good place for food just before the bridge that goes over Lake Champlain.
There is a motel and a Warm showers host ( if you are a member) in RP
Option 2: TRY to add a day of your trip and overnight in RP (warmshowers Host & motel)
Option 3; Bypass RP and plan another vacation and add RP in, and head over to Burlington