Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Potholed, is my LHT still rideable?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-09, 05:02 AM
BF123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My camera's card can't connect onto this stupid computer, so no photos for now. Basically, I ploughed through a major pothole going at 35km/h. There's a deep fold, kind of like those on loose clothes, on the underside of the top tube. I think it's about 3-4mm deep. There's corresponding distortion.The cable holder, together with the top tube, is now twisted left. The down tube also has a slight fold, but not as bad as the top's. Is the frame trashed or can I still ride around the world on it?
Old 04-07-09, 05:37 AM
cp43

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My guess is that you can ride it around town, unloaded, with no problems, but I wouldn't take it much farther than that. You'll want to replace the frame before any big trips.

Chris
Old 04-07-09, 05:56 AM
positron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tough to say... does it steer straight and hold a line?

the steel wont fail catastrophically, but if it wont handle well, then, your SOL.

i want a picture of the pothole!
Old 04-07-09, 06:17 AM
BF123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I didn't feel any major differences as I rode today. Will have to finish my tour, nine more days. About 30kg of luggage? I'm 70kg.
Old 04-07-09, 06:35 AM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That must either be one huge pothole, or there was a flaw in the frame. I'd be leery of riding it.

My bands:
Old 04-07-09, 06:51 AM
Metzinger
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BF123
I ploughed through a major pothole going at 35km/h. There's a deep fold, kind of like those on loose clothes, on the underside of the top tube.
Holy smokes!
And you didn't crash?
Score another one for steel!
Old 04-07-09, 06:55 AM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most likely the head tube will continue to distort with time, eventually the steering becomes worse and worse and your fender or tire will touch the down tube.

It's trashed but keep going and see what happens.
Old 04-07-09, 07:14 AM
BF123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh I crashed alright. Held on for dear life for around 20m, bike went out under me, got flung forward another 2-3 meters. Panniers went everywhere, one went down the drain/ravine on the right side of the road. Lucky I didn't take that tumble.

Hm, but it was the top and down tube which folded. Will the head tube be affected?
Old 04-07-09, 07:16 AM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
It sounds like your frame has been compromised. It may hold up for awhile -- maybe even a long while -- but the stresses of normal riding -- not to mention the stresses of hitting another big pothole! -- could cause the tube to fail. If you are lucky, the frame with fail gradually rather than catastrophically.

If you choose to continue to ride the bike, monitor the damaged area frequently. If you notice even the smallest sign that the ding has worsened, get off the bike, and don't get back on.

One of my steel bikes developed two small dings in the head tube and one in the top tube, and I continued to ride for three seasons without the damage worsening. But then sanity prevailed, and I replaced the frame.
Old 04-07-09, 07:25 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Glad you are OK-enough to be posting on the internet. I would seek professional (bike shop) assistance with your question.
Old 04-07-09, 07:57 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
From your description, I'd be inclined to replace the frame. Is the fork OK or bent back? Is the head tube angle stuffed back? I''d expect both to be out of whack.
Old 04-07-09, 08:20 AM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
replace
Old 04-07-09, 08:26 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Hate to say this but the frame is toast. You've got lots of things going on now that make the bike less then safe for use. The top tube and down tube are compromised and likely to fail...catastrophically...under even normal conditions. Loaded, the failure is even more likely. Round tubes only have strength as long as they are reasonably round or far away from high stress areas. A small dent in the middle of the top tube is probably ridable, however a crumpled tube at a major stress point isn't. Two of them is just asking for disaster.

You've also messed with angles on the head tube...steepening them...which will have an effect on steering and control. It's likely that the head tube is no longer perpendicular to the top tube and down tube as well, leading to more steering and control issues.

Replace the frame, probably the fork and perhaps the front wheel. All are likely damaged and not worth saving a few pennies now while paying out major bucks for a hospital later.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-07-09, 08:48 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
a friend had damage like that,,it came from driving into the garage with the car on the roof rack. I can't imagine staying on the bike with such a pothole.
Old 04-07-09, 08:55 AM
kuan
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by valygrl
Glad you are OK-enough to be posting on the internet. I would seek professional (bike shop) assistance with your question.
Think he's in the middle of China.
Old 04-07-09, 09:07 AM
subverita

Bikes: Vision R40, Sun Tandem, Giant Rincon SE, Cannondale recumbent, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do the best you can, but take it easy. Slow down. In the event of catastrophic failure you'll minimize the damage to you. If you only have 9 days left, ship some of your weight home. Routinely check to look for additional damage. When you get home get it to a qualified wrench, not a bike shop salesman. It doesn't sound like it's saveable.
Old 04-07-09, 09:11 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by subverita
Do the best you can, but take it easy. Slow down. In the event of catastrophic failure you'll minimize the damage to you. If you only have 9 days left, ship some of your weight home. Routinely check to look for additional damage. When you get home get it to a qualified wrench, not a bike shop salesman. It doesn't sound like it's saveable.
Given where you are that may be the best advice. Good luck and be careful. I hope it holds up for the remainder of your trip.
Old 04-07-09, 09:28 AM
twodeadpoets
Training Wheel Graduate

Bikes: Bridgestone Grand Velo, Evans Randonneur (custom), Moser 51.151, Surly LHT & Pacer, Kona/FreeRadical, Trek 730, Trek 510

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being steel it won't fail catastrophically as would aluminum so you could probably putz around on it unloaded, however, for all intensive purposes, it's toast. If not for anything else, at least for safety sakes.
Old 04-07-09, 09:44 AM
surreal

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I realise that the OP is on tour, and if he's in China, replacing the frame before the tour is over might be out of the question, which is a shame. Still, the advice to ship any unneccessary weight home is very good, as is slowing down. Maybe turn the 9 days to 12 days, for the sake of safety. Once you're home, try to warranty the frame. Surly probably won't accept it, but it's worth a shot. Either way, *replace* the frame. Don't putz around on it unloaded; you'd probably be fine, but why risk your safety for a frame that retails, new, for 420USD? And, for the record, steel *can* fail catastrophically. I know of a guy who lost a whole head full of teeth and broke his jaw when his 631 jamis exile snapped. Be careful with that thing while in China, then replace it asafp.

hth,
-rob
Old 04-07-09, 09:59 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
At least the damage to the top and down tubes is easily seen so you can keep an eye on it and tell if the damage is getting any worse. Since you're not in a position to replace the frame I would suggest at least making a very careful examination of the fork and steerer tube (i.e. take the fork out of the frame) to inspect for any damage there. I've experienced a catastrophic failure of a steel steerer tube and would not want to repeat it.
Old 04-07-09, 10:24 AM
escii_35
deleteme

Bikes: deleteme

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My loaded bike encounered a Texas sized pot hole (in Texas) cracked dropout on the derailleur side. I had a spare boxed and air shipped from the west coast though for the same price I could have bought a perfectly serviceable rig.

If you are taller I image finding a serviceable bike in China would be rough.

C-dale replaced the 14 year old frame. It had 50k miles on it of which 9k was fully loaded. It -is- worth asking Surly for an RMA once you get home.
Old 04-07-09, 10:25 AM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since this is a difficult situation, is there any way the OP can reinforce the frame, to buy a few seconds to slow to a stop if the frame starts to buckle?

My bands:
Old 04-07-09, 10:43 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by escii_35
It -is- worth asking Surly for an RMA once you get home.
It is worth asking what they can do for you. If they don't replace it they may at least offer a price break on the replacement. I have had vendors replace stuff or give a break even when warranty didn't cover the problem. Don't be too disappointed if they don't cover it but do ask.
Old 04-07-09, 10:55 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by surreal
. Once you're home, try to warranty the frame. Surly probably won't accept it, but it's worth a shot.
It was an accident. "Worth a shot" if sucessful simply is underhanded and ultimately costs everyone that buys a frame later. . See if Surly has a crash program.

-R
Old 04-07-09, 11:02 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by CCrew
It was an accident. "Worth a shot" if sucessful simply is underhanded and ultimately costs everyone that buys a frame later. . See if Surly has a crash program.

-R
I strongly disagree. I did not and would not suggest lying to Surly. Still, there is nothing "underhanded" or wrong with asking what if anything they can do for you unless you lie about the cause. Lying would be really foolish anyway since it will be obvious that the cause was a crash.

I know for example that when I broke a ww kayak hull of a boat that I bought second hand, I told the vendor that I knew it wasn't under warranty, but wondered if they could give me a break on a replacement hull. They agreed that it wasn't under warranty but said if returned the bare hull to them they would give me a new one at a very reduced price. Surly just might do something similar, stranger things have happened.

Last edited by staehpj1; 04-07-09 at 11:09 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.