Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Going car free? One piece of advice...

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-14, 08:08 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Ok... the name of this game is "One piece of advice".

You have a friend, colleague, relative who is about to ditch an automobile and replace it with a bicycle.

There are probably dozens of things you'd like to say to her.

But what would be the most essential, but often overlooked advice you could give.

Come on, tell us.
Old 02-26-14, 09:11 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Plan ahead. Move to a location where most of your needed services are within a mile and you are no more than 5-10 miles away from your work.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-27-14, 01:05 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Try it first.

Park the vehicle and cycle, walk, or take the bus to everywhere you need to go ... the gym, the library, the doctor's office, work, school, church, the grocery store, etc. etc. ... for a few weeks or months. And then make a decision about what you want to do.
Old 02-27-14, 02:05 PM
duckbill

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tell your family and friends what you plan to do and maybe someone will offer their vehicle for those occasions when something large has to be picked up. Some times I will fill someone's fuel tank for the use of their car to go out of town, further then what is practical on a bicycle with time restraints. Weather can be a factor so get familiar with the bus schedule and put your local cab company's phone number on the refrigerator. Ask your insurance provider if they have rates on car rentals.
No offence Machka but some times it is easier to jump in with both feet rather then getting wet slowly that way you eliminate temptation.
Bill.
Old 02-27-14, 02:10 PM
GodsBassist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Plan ahead. Move to a location where most of your needed services are within a mile and you are no more than 5-10 miles away from your work.
+1

Being car free is so easy if you're in a geographic position for it.
Old 02-27-14, 03:10 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe for some people. Me, I'm car free and work is 20 miles one way. I like it that way. Keeps me strong and in reasonably good shape for touring without "training". If work were only 5 miles it would be different. I would have to "exercise". I prefer a lifestyle where fitness is built-in.

I don't know how common that is though. Just me?
Old 02-27-14, 03:47 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
Maybe for some people. Me, I'm car free and work is 20 miles one way. I like it that way. Keeps me strong and in reasonably good shape for touring without "training". If work were only 5 miles it would be different. I would have to "exercise". I prefer a lifestyle where fitness is built-in.

No, I see your point. I recently moved super close to work, and I really don't care for it. I would rather be close to the stores and in a pretty neighborhood where I will enjoy an after dinner walk.

The commute is part of the daily routine, and it'll get done no matter what. Although personally, I don't want to commute more than 30 minutes one way. That's one hour of exercise most days of the week, plus additional from errands and recreational activities.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-27-14, 05:30 PM
Grillparzer
Grillparzer

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Do not drop off of curbs if you're carrying thin glass bottles or eggs.
Old 02-27-14, 07:47 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Ok... the name of this game is "One piece of advice".

You have a friend, colleague, relative who is about to ditch an automobile and replace it with a bicycle.

There are probably dozens of things you'd like to say to her.

But what would be the most essential, but often overlooked advice you could give.

Come on, tell us.
I actually have two:

1.) Be willing to change the way you look at distance and time.
2.) Get the bike and equipment you need to be comfortable. Here in Seattle, I never leave home without full rain gear, even if it's not raining at the time, and would never even consider a daily-use bike without fenders. If I lived in the mountains, I'd probably seriously consider at least one bike with studded snow tires.
Old 02-27-14, 08:13 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Choose a location which has a good public transit, just in case something happens and you can't ride a bike on some days.
Old 02-27-14, 08:29 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Although personally, I don't want to commute more than 30 minutes one way. That's one hour of exercise most days of the week, plus additional from errands and recreational activities.
I'd agree with this. If you are going day after day, year after year, a long commute has got to be hard to maintain. My current commute can be as short as 4.5 miles if the weather is cold or it's raining.

But if it's nice out, I can stretch it out to 7 or 8 miles...
Old 02-27-14, 08:32 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My one piece of advice would be to get a Plan B. You get all kinds of good bicycle suggestions here on BF, but I rarely see anyone suggesting a multi modal approach to transportation.

Truth is though, if you aren't the most "gung ho" rider or even if you develop an injury, a second mode is essential. For me, it's the bus. I'm situated on a good bus route and I frequently use it... especially in winter.
Old 02-27-14, 08:33 PM
Rcrxjlb

Bikes: Unknown Kalin MTB, 2013 Denali, 1977 Raleigh from Malaysia, 1982 Univega Nuovo Sport

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Do you still have a driver's license? Or have you never needed one?
Old 02-27-14, 08:38 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rcrxjlb
Do you still have a driver's license? Or have you never needed one?
I have a driver's license. They are great if you rent a car.
Old 02-28-14, 12:52 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Driver's Licences are also useful for identification. I hardly ever drive, but I do use my driver's licence.
Old 02-28-14, 05:06 AM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd agree with this. If you are going day after day, year after year, a long commute has got to be hard to maintain. My current commute can be as short as 4.5 miles if the weather is cold or it's raining.

But if it's nice out, I can stretch it out to 7 or 8 miles...
Makes me feel "tough" I guess. My ride is 20 miles. But I agree with posts on mass transit! I take advantage of that option 15 or 20 days/year. On those few days it really makes a big difference. Having *some* alternative to the bicycle is good when you feel the need. You need to anticipate bad sinus infections or similar even if that happens very rarely.

If you have no mass transit, other options are a friend or family member that might give you a ride sometimes.

I also have shopping and restaurants within about a mile of my home. That's very nice. Work is 20 miles but if everything were, that would be real hard to stick with day in day out.
Old 02-28-14, 08:51 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My one piece of advice would be to get a Plan B. You get all kinds of good bicycle suggestions here on BF, but I rarely see anyone suggesting a multi modal approach to transportation.

Truth is though, if you aren't the most "gung ho" rider or even if you develop an injury, a second mode is essential. For me, it's the bus. I'm situated on a good bus route and I frequently use it... especially in winter.
I'm car-lite, not entirely car-free but I think this is a great tip. It's 15 miles to my office and I ride it most days. However, a local bus stop is only 4 miles away, it's about 5 to a park and ride with an express into town. Having the options during stormy weather or extreme heat/cold is very beneficial.
Old 02-28-14, 09:08 AM
Fishmonger
Hooray for most things!

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get used to the idea early that friends and family are going to look at you weird and say some things about you. Some will be impressed, but others will somehow think that it's an attack on their own inactive lifestyles.
Old 02-28-14, 11:42 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
If you have no mass transit, other options are a friend or family member that might give you a ride sometimes.
Also car rental or car share, U-haul (for moving large items), taxi, on-demand buses, walking.....

So my piece of advice is:

Whatever you plan to use as your main transportation, you should also have a Plan B and if possible a Plan C.

This should go for car owners also--many times I've known co-workers to not make it to their shift "because my car broke down and I don't have any other way to get there." As a carfree person you will be judged more harshly, so be especially certain that you have good backup plans.

BTW, I used to have a manager who would drive herself to pick up employees who had a transportation issue. So maybe some people can add "transport by the boss" as a Plan B.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-28-14, 11:48 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

For me it's an issue of time, not physical condition. When I had a 17 mile commute, I begrudged how much time the commute took and what else I could be doing with my life. I like to keep the commute under an hour and to 30 minutes if possible.

I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-28-14, 11:51 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
At a job interview, don't bring up bikes unless the person interviewing you does. If asked if you have reliable transportation, say yes.

Old 02-28-14, 04:28 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For me it's an issue of time, not physical condition. When I had a 17 mile commute, I begrudged how much time the commute took and what else I could be doing with my life. I like to keep the commute under an hour and to 30 minutes if possible.
Well that opens up a good topic of its own. Time management and making the most of it. For years, I drove a car to work. The commute took close to an hour on average. A really good day was 45 minutes. But it varied a lot. It might frequently be 1.5 hours. In order to get the exercise I wanted I would ride 25 miles to and around Stone Mountain before work. That took at least 1.5 hours.

So my total time invested in commute/fitness on weekdays was 1.5 hours (bicycle) + 2 hours (to/from) drive = 3.5 hours. Now, I don't drive. I ride under 3 hours (1:15-25 each way) on the bicycle. So I'm typically riding 3 hours instead of (bike+car) 3.5. But in that (less than) 3 hours, I cover 40 miles on my bicycle instead of 25 + X car miles.

40 is a lot more than 25. It's on a different scale.

But the most important thing is my attitude. My bicycle commute varies only by a few minutes at most. My car commute might vary by a factor of two or sometimes three. And on the bicycle I walk into the office happy and invigorated and ready to tackle the world. Driving to work I might get there and feel beat like a wet puppy.

By commuting on my bicycle instead of in the car, I cover 40 miles on my bicycle instead of only 25. And I do it in 3 hours instead of 3.5!
Old 02-28-14, 04:32 PM
Baboo

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
+ 1 very sage advice from Machka, going carefree may sound a whole lot better than the experience itself.

Allen

Last edited by Baboo; 02-28-14 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-28-14, 04:45 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 857 Posts
There is a fine line between an ordeal and an adventure. You'll fail or succeed, suffer or enjoy, based on your attitude.
Old 02-28-14, 04:48 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Don't let fear stop you, whether it is the fear of a major lifestyle change or the fear of what may or may not happen to you on the roads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.