Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Touching up paint on chipped Kestrel 200SCi CF frame

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-23, 06:10 AM
Jockie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I'm looking for advice regarding repairing some paint chips on my Kestrel 200SCi frame.
I've already got a little paint that a professional paint company matched to the existing colour.
Before I apply the touch up paint, I have a filler and a primer question:
Should I use a little filler where the frame appears gouged by the front inner chain ring on the chainstay?
Should I be applying some kind of primer before the paint and if so would a dark primer be preferable?

Here are a selection of some of the spots I intend to repair:

Old 04-29-23, 09:42 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
First- Expect the touch up spots to readily stand out, even after great efforts to match colors and blend in edges.

I would suggest a practice/test, before going to the bike, with a dark and a white primer before deciding which results in the better color match. Given the white OEM primer I would think that will be the better choice. But don't ask another, find out for your self and for the paint you have (different paints have different translucentness as well as a brush VS spray application thickness change.

As to adding some body putty/filler- that's your choice. Do know that whenever adding a layer to some point generally means a larger surface gets worked to blend in that layer. A bit like doing a roof repair. The hole in the shingles looks small but by the time the sheathing is repaired and new shingles are put down the area affected grew dramatically. I suggest doing as little as possible, only a dab of primer and paint.

You can use a knife tip to roughen the chip's "bottom" and leave the edge "proud" of the bottom. Only dab the primer/paint to this edge. This minimizes the size of the touch up which generally looks better that a large area does. Clean the chip area with a solvent before applying primer/paint.