Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why are 32mm tires standard now on new bikes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why are 32mm tires standard now on new bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-23, 05:37 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,431 Times in 2,759 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
The narrower tires we the result of the limitations of sewup tubular tires.
There are plenty of 32mm tubulars.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 05-26-23 at 11:51 AM. Reason: ??
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-26-23, 08:07 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Just ride it for a bit. Upgrade tires and you’ll notice. For most tires the measured mounted width will be a little above the marked width. Don’t sweat it.

For road riding I’d go with 28mm Conti GP5000 either tube or tubeless. Or other better tire. Your preference and tools on hand. Later upgrade to a second set of wheels for road and put gravel type tires on the stock rims for mixed or comfortable riding. N+1 without two bikes.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 05-26-23 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-26-23, 10:51 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,639 Times in 2,921 Posts
Bought a used Orbea that had 23s which road like a truck except on very smooth surfaces. Swapped them for Conti GP5000 25s and it was a world of difference for the better. Probably could have gone with 28s, which I have on my tubeless ride which ride like magic.

If one gains comfort without a speed penalty, or even if you do, go for wider.

Old 05-26-23, 11:55 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,899 Times in 6,094 Posts
You know, if you can only fit 25s, but you want to feel more comfortable, do what I did - get an old racing bike with tubular rims, and run 22mm tires at 140 psi for a day. You'll feel real fast - AT FIRST. Then you'll get tired of feeling every single grain of sand on the road, and spending all your time trying to find the smoothest part of the bike lane.

When you go back to your 25s (in my case, at 90F/95R), they'll feel like a magic carpet.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-26-23, 11:57 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by rsbob
Bought a used Orbea that had 23s which road like a truck except on very smooth surfaces. Swapped them for Conti GP5000 25s and it was a world of difference for the better. Probably could have gone with 28s, which I have on my tubeless ride which ride like magic.

If one gains comfort without a speed penalty, or even if you do, go for wider.
My fastest bike, by a significant margin, is the one with the 28s. It's not that the tires make it faster than the other bikes. It's more that the tires DON'T make it slower. Fast and comfy - what's not to like?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-26-23, 06:15 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,639 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
My fastest bike, by a significant margin, is the one with the 28s. It's not that the tires make it faster than the other bikes. It's more that the tires DON'T make it slower. Fast and comfy - what's not to like?
A pic of the perp with new shoes

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-27-23, 07:30 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 4,860 Times in 3,006 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
That’s a good way of putting it. Lots of useful pros and no significant cons.
Old 05-27-23, 05:32 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
That’s a good way of putting it. Lots of useful pros and no significant cons.
i'm about due for a new rear tire again, currently on 30mm. debating going to 28 or 32, just to see the difference again. i recall being very happy going from 26 -> 28 but can't remember if 28 -> 30 was as noticeable. at this point i would not go below 28.
Old 05-28-23, 04:57 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
The OP doesn’t specify “racing” bikes, and posted it in the “road cycling” section and not the 33.
In that case the whole thread is moot since the definition of ''road bike'' is too broad.

Saying that ''road bikes come with 32s now'' is an overstatement.
Old 05-28-23, 07:06 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
In that case the whole thread is moot since the definition of ''road bike'' is too broad.

Saying that ''road bikes come with 32s now'' is an overstatement.
Fair enough. The OP was still incorrect, but yes they were using a broader definition of road bike than just racing.
Old 05-28-23, 09:17 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Giant still uses 25C tires on their TCR Advanced Disc 2 race bikes, But 32C tires on their Defy Advanced 2 Endurance bike. It may be to eek out that last 1 - 2% of performance on a perfect track a 25 - 28mm tire may be best. That might be enough to make the difference between placing 2'nd and 8'th or worse in an important race.

For most of us, for the street or in a cycling club ride the Defy Endurance road bike with it's 32mm tires might provide that perfect balance between efficiency and ride quality. But a 32mm tire may not fit on many older road bikes, So going as wide as you can might work well too.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 05-28-23 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-28-23, 03:25 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
Giant still uses 25C tires on their TCR Advanced Disc 2 race bikes, But 32C tires on their Defy Advanced 2 Endurance bike. It may be to eek out that last 1 - 2% of performance on a perfect track a 25 - 28mm tire may be best. That might be enough to make the difference between placing 2'nd and 8'th or worse in an important race.

For most of us, for the street or in a cycling club ride the Defy Endurance road bike with it's 32mm tires might provide that perfect balance between efficiency and ride quality. But a 32mm tire may not fit on many older road bikes, So going as wide as you can might work well too.
Many of us still make relatively short rides (60-80 km) on reasonable quality roads where 25 mm tires (or sometimes even 23 mm) would marginally harm (or not harm at all) the ride quality, but they perform a little better. In such cases, it would be nonsense to switch to wider tires with associated penalties in weight and aerodynamics, for a comfort that remains theoretical.

Pros can often take advantages from switching to wider tires because they make much longer rides, on variable quality roads, and their bikes (including wheels) compensate for weight and aerodynamic losses by much more expensive setups that are not reachable by casual riders. I think that the general "necessity' of going wider to 28-32 mm does not exist; it is valid only for specific riding conditions.

Last edited by Redbullet; 05-28-23 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-28-23, 04:28 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
Many of us still make relatively short rides (60-80 km) on reasonable quality roads where 25 mm tires (or sometimes even 23 mm) would marginally harm (or not harm at all) the ride quality, but they perform a little better. In such cases, it would be nonsense to switch to wider tires with associated penalties in weight and aerodynamics, for a comfort that remains theoretical.

Pros can often take advantages from switching to wider tires because they make much longer rides, on variable quality roads, and their bikes (including wheels) compensate for weight and aerodynamic losses by much more expensive setups that are not reachable by casual riders. I think that the general "necessity' of going wider to 28-32 mm does not exist; it is valid only for specific riding conditions.
Playing devil's advocate here, I spend about as much time going 50 miles as the pro tour riders spend going 100. Furthermore, I put more weight on the saddle for various reasons (I sit more, I have less powerful legs, and I'm simply fatter). That could give me (personally) a reason to go wider than the pros. With that in mind, I imagine the fast and thin recreational riders are still mostly on the 25mm tires.
Old 05-28-23, 04:35 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
It could be that the increase in tire width is related to the increase in abdominal girth of the riders...
Old 05-28-23, 06:14 PM
PeteHski

Unless you are obsessed with marginal performance gains on the smoothest of roads then the benefits of slightly wider, lower pressure tyres are pretty obvious for most riders. Especially on the endurance road bikes that are often fitted with 32 mm tyres eg Trek Domane or Giant Defy. Those bikes are by definition intended for longer rides on variable quality roads. It wouldn’t make any sense to fit those bikes with 23 or 25 mm tyres, which is why they don’t.
Old 05-28-23, 06:28 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by mschwett
i'm about due for a new rear tire again, currently on 30mm. debating going to 28 or 32, just to see the difference again. i recall being very happy going from 26 -> 28 but can't remember if 28 -> 30 was as noticeable. at this point i would not go below 28.
How wide are your rims? If they are >20 mm I would give 32 mm tyres a try. But if they are narrower rims then maybe not. I have run 32 mm tyres on 17 mm rims and the profile was a bit bulbous. They were okay, but felt a bit squirmy under hard cornering. I currently have 30 mm tyres on 22 mm rims and they feel great. Maybe I’ll try 32 mm on these wider rims at some point.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-28-23, 08:39 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by PeteHski
How wide are your rims? If they are >20 mm I would give 32 mm tyres a try. But if they are narrower rims then maybe not. I have run 32 mm tyres on 17 mm rims and the profile was a bit bulbous. They were okay, but felt a bit squirmy under hard cornering. I currently have 30 mm tyres on 22 mm rims and they feel great. Maybe I’ll try 32 mm on these wider rims at some point.
21 inner, 27 outer on my main road bike.

25 inner on the gravel rig. that one seems to achieve the perfect aero profile with 32mm tires. the 21 inner do look a little light-bulbed to me with 30mm tires, but it rides great. corners far harder than my skill allows.

i may go with 32mm in black for a change of pace. the only thing i don’t like about the GP5000 S TR is that the “transparent” ones are kind of dark and the brown part is small. although - it’s summer… maybe 28 for summer and 32 for winter 😂

the rears last 3,000 ish miles for me, almost exactly 6 months.

Last edited by mschwett; 05-28-23 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-28-23, 09:03 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts

I put a link to a study earlier in the thread which clearly shows the overall speed advantage of wider tires in actual bike tests on average roads: less power is needed to go the same speed. The comfort gains are just gravy on top. It has absolutely nothing to do with how long pros are riding compared to non pros.
Old 05-29-23, 02:56 PM
Redbullet

Originally Posted by scottfsmith
I put a link to a study earlier in the thread which clearly shows the overall speed advantage of wider tires in actual bike tests on average roads: less power is needed to go the same speed. The comfort gains are just gravy on top. It has absolutely nothing to do with how long pros are riding compared to non pros.
I also saw studies reaching the conclusion that the best efficiency is obtained by the skinniest tires that can offer the minimum acceptable level of comfort you need for your typical rides, in conjunction with fit rims. But I rather go on feeling: 23 mm tires still have a thin edge over 28 mm for my typical rides.
I have no doubt that pros can obtain much better efficiency than me with wider tires, but they use 10000-15000 EUR optimized bikes, while I use mass production bikes below 1/3 of that price. Thus, it might not be a surprise that the old benchmark “skinnier and lighter – the better” is still suitable for my poorly optimized bikes. There is no efficiency in trying to mimic the gears of the professionals, if my pocket does not allow me to go full of their range.

Last edited by Redbullet; 05-29-23 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-29-23, 05:52 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I also saw studies reaching the conclusion that the best efficiency is obtained by the skinniest tires that can offer the minimum acceptable level of comfort you need for your typical rides, in conjunction with fit rims. But I rather go on feeling: 23 mm tires still have a thin edge over 28 mm for my typical rides.
I have no doubt that pros can obtain much better efficiency than me with wider tires, but they use 10000-15000 EUR optimized bikes, while I use mass production bikes below 1/3 of that price. Thus, it might not be a surprise that the old benchmark “skinnier and lighter – the better” is still suitable for my poorly optimized bikes. There is no efficiency in trying to mimic the gears of the professionals, if my pocket does not allow me to go full of their range.
How would a "pro" bike be optimized that a wider tire would be more "efficient" than it would be on some other bike?
Old 05-29-23, 05:54 PM
mschwett 

i've not seen a study which takes into account road surface that actually concludes this. on a drum in a lab, or a wind tunnel, sure.

if you have a link to one, i would love to see it. remember that the energy to vibrate the bicycle on narrow, hard tires on a rough road has to come from somewhere....
Old 05-29-23, 06:48 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Really, it would have been best to stop there, because the remainder is simply handwaving to justify what you want to do.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-30-23, 12:48 AM
Redbullet

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
How would a "pro" bike be optimized that a wider tire would be more "efficient" than it would be on some other bike?
For example, look at their wheels. They have a reason to spend thousands eur for wheel sets that are aero in combination with the tires they need. And to switch setups for different purposes. My new "mushroomed" 28 mm on aluminum rims simply do not behave the same with theirs.
Old 05-30-23, 02:09 AM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
I recently switched from riding 25mm and 28mm GP5ks on a 19.5 internal/27 external rim to riding 28mm on 21 internal/30 external.
Night and day in how the same tyre sits on the rims, how wide it looks and measures, and how the bike corners and feels at all pressures I run.

Consequently, I think that it is not ideal in terms of handling, and thus safety, to go wider than works with a given rim. If I had 19mm internals, I would personally stick to 25 as a concession. I say no to rubber mushrooms.

I think the improvements a wide tyre on a wide rim can bring over a narrow setup makes it an investment to consider. Many modern wheels now also particularly come with wide external dimensions in consideration of the interface, so better aero is just a given bonus.
Old 05-30-23, 05:47 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

For example, look at their wheels. They have a reason to spend thousands eur for wheel sets that are aero in combination with the tires they need. And to switch setups for different purposes. My new "mushroomed" 28 mm on aluminum rims simply do not behave the same with theirs.
Sorry, different rims don't constitute a bike "optimization" that isn't available to non-pros. If your bike can fit a 28mm tire, it can fit an appropriate wheel of whatever material.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.