Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My winter project? Some of you will be a little surprised.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-13, 09:10 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts

Short version: It's a Basso!

Long version: It's still a Basso! But it's really a long story....

Ten or fifteen years ago my father in law made some upgrades to his bike, which was an early 90's Specialized road bike. He gave me the stuff he took off, which was Shimano 105 8 speed sti's, derailleurs, cranks, and some other bits. I tried selling the stuff once or twice, but always found myself asking more than the market would bear, from which I was forced to conclude I wanted to keep it. So I decided I would build a bike with it, if I found the appropriate frame.

And then I proceeded to pick up some more components from that same group. The great Box-O-Crap that went around a year ago came my way with a pair of 1056 pedals, and left without them. Kurt offered a 1055 headset in the for-sale forum, and I snapped it up. Before long, I had pretty much everything. I put it all on a very nice early 80's frame, which was blue, so I got blue bar tape and blue cable housing for that. But (alas!) that frame proved a little too big for me; too long. I like a short top tube.

Then in December I saw this Basso Gap frame on ebay for a $150 buy-it-now price, and I thought, yes, that will do. I put the money down.

Once the frame was in the stand I realized some things were still missing, so I placed an order... screwed that up and had to try again... and the necessaries continued to pile up in December and the first week of January. Last Wednesday the last package arrived, with a bottom bracket in it, and I put it all together. Ha! It all seemed to work.

Not having a chance to test ride it, I rode it to work on Friday. That worked out pretty well. I stopped a few times to adjust the seat forward, then up, then forward some more; changed the angle of the handle bar; futzed with the fender line (this thing has close tolerances). Fiddled with it some more Friday around which time TimmyT arrived and we downed a couple beers while I changed the seat, pumped up the tires, and added a few cheap battery-powered LED lights (I prefer dynamo lighting, but this didn't seem the bike for it).

It all looked good. Well, it looked pretty strange to my eye, being purple (which I can't even see, but it looks like blue to me, and I like blue) and green (I can't always see green, but this green I can see) and blue (). But it looked like a bike.

We went to bed late and got up early, hit the dark and foggy roads at 6 AM, rode through low hanging clouds until we could legitimately stop for breakfast. It did eventually get light, but we never saw the sun. The roads were wet all day long, even though it never really rained.

We put in a total of 105 miles on Saturday, and I have to say this bike is okay. It more or less disappears under you. I can't call the ride magical; way too bumpy for that. And even with the skimpiest fenders I could find, the tires seem to be maxed out at 23 mm. I don't really understand why they make bikes that won't take fatter tires, but whatever.

Anyway, without further ado, here are some photos I took on Sunday.

The pump is a Topeak Master Blaster Road. It fits the frame nicely. I don't like using it, but it handles very high pressures.

Crud Guard road fenders. They seem to be the best suited fenders to a bike like this; vintage Bluemels would be all wrong and probably wouldn't fit anyway. They wangle around a bit on the bumps, and Tim complained that they made an occasional rubbing noise, but he did not complain about getting sprayed with road grime so I consider the fenders a success.

Like I said, I bought the blue bar tape and blue cable housing for a different bike. But since blue and purple are indistinguishable to me, they look about right. Note the cheap LED lights on handlebar (obvious!) and the Planet Bike "Spok" safety light on the front fender (aw, isn't that cute...). If you're going to ride a century in January, you need lights. The daylight hours are too short.

More Shimano 1055 / 1056 components than you can shake a stick at! This is not, in my opinion, the ugliest group ever made (Mavic starfish crank, anyone? ) though it deserves an honorable mention. But it suits the bike.

RHM#3 saddle. This was the Brooks Pro frame I rode to its demise 1980-1995 and was the third saddle I recovered. Not a great success, but I reworked it a year later with hammered rivets and lots of holes in the top in the manner of Ottussi. Note the stamps on the side: Shimano 11t cassette cogs! It is actually a pretty comfortable saddle.

Oh, yeah, it's goofy, but I even stamped the rivets.

Anyway, there you have it. My winter build. Frame and components all "period correct" for 1993. It's a fun and fast bike. Top tube might be a little long for me, but really my only complaint is that there's no room for fatter tires and better fenders.

Last edited by rhm; 01-14-13 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-14-13, 09:48 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Tight clearances, long top tubes and gaudy color schemes. Italian bikes ftw?

Super cool saddle, man!
Old 01-14-13, 09:51 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 236 Posts
I can't believe you did that to an Italian bike.
Old 01-14-13, 09:54 AM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Nice build! The paint looks blue/green to me, not purple. The Basso frame is sweet!
Old 01-14-13, 09:56 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Originally Posted by fender1
I can't believe you did that to an Italian bike.
What, you're not supposed to ride them?

Originally Posted by WNG
Nice build! The paint looks blue/green to me, not purple.
Thank you!
That is exactly how I see it. I don't really believe purple exists at all, it is just a hoax perpetrated on the naive. Ha! I'm not falling for that. The word gullible is in the dictionary, I know, 'cuz I looked once.

Last edited by rhm; 01-14-13 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-14-13, 09:56 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2957 Post(s)
Liked 3,018 Times in 1,538 Posts
Great looking Basso. Personally I always like that group.

They do make bikes that take bigger tires, they are called Touring, Hybrid and Mountain bikes LOL. I bet without the fenders you could shoehorn a x28 in there but if you want fenders then x23 will simply have to do.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-14-13, 09:58 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Ditch the fenders now! If ever a frame was made for the Speedblend tires, it is this very Basso.

https://store.somafab.com/rirutuspti.html

Old 01-14-13, 10:02 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

^Oh, my! If those ever go on sale, please let me know.
Old 01-14-13, 10:08 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2957 Post(s)
Liked 3,018 Times in 1,538 Posts
Those are pretty groovy!

I love the text in the add... nothing like spending $100+ on tires for your 'beater'

"" Perfect way to add a lot of color to that all-black beater you've been riding and thumb ur nose at bikesnobs. Underneath the rubber it's all business with a Kevlar belt for flat protection and taffeta reinforcement of the side walls. 700x28c. Made in Japan ""

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-14-13, 10:24 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 175 Posts
Ehhh, it would look better with an IGH

The coolest thing there is the saddle...that is just AWESOME, especially the signature in the rivets. If I had the skill to do that, I'd put my mark down as well.
Old 01-14-13, 10:32 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Ehhh, it would look better with an IGH.
You make a good point, but sadly this bike has vertical dropouts and every other optimization for indexed shifting derailleurs. But it's okay, I have other bikes with IGH's

(and thanks for the kind words about the saddle!)
Old 01-14-13, 10:47 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
^Oh, my! If those ever go on sale, please let me know.
They're on sale.
Old 01-14-13, 10:49 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7394 Post(s)
Liked 2,558 Times in 1,488 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
They're on sale.
Indeed they are!

Then again, you could consider converting this bike to 650B.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-14-13, 11:05 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Originally Posted by noglider
Indeed they are!

Then again, you could consider converting this bike to 650B.
Yeah, but 1055 long reach dual pivot calipers are really hard to find. I searched on ebay for a while, and all the ones that came up were in far away lands and outlandishly priced.
Old 01-14-13, 11:52 AM
MrEss
likes to ride an old bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm really loving this bike.

If you're unhappy with the harsh ride on the 23mm tires it maxes out at, maybe you should relace the hubs into some tubular rims? Then you could run 85 or 90PSI for a nicer ride without fearing pinch flats.
Old 01-14-13, 01:25 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
More Shimano 1055 / 1056 components than you can shake a stick at! This is not, in my opinion, the ugliest group ever made (Mavic starfish crank, anyone? ) though it deserves an honorable mention. But it suits the bike.
So... Now I see you're taking potshots at my Alpine. Nice work!

Now about your Basso, that is a pretty neat bike and definitely outside the norm for something you typically build. I've never seen those Crud Guard fenders before. Those may be an option for a couple of my road bikes. Where did you hear about them?
Old 01-14-13, 01:44 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

You misunderstand me, sir! I am proud of the ugliness of my 105 group but have to give credit where credit is due. I am awed by the starfish. In am era not known for sensitive and subtle design, it's ugliness stands out. No doubt when the other designers saw that, they shrugged their shoulders and went home.
Fire the crud guards, I saw them on the internet!
Old 01-14-13, 01:50 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I actually kind of like the Starfish; at least it's distinctive. I have to say...the DA 7400 crank is uglier (and it scuffs if you look at it cross eyed). Suntour's derailleurs are also largely hideous...

But the ugliest thing in the history of ugly are bulbous IGH hubs
Old 01-14-13, 02:33 PM
VonCarlos
AmiableNitrite Member

Bikes: '74 Alex Singer -'81 Mercian(sold) - '72 Motobecane GR(sold) - '73 Legnano(sold) - '6? Dawes Galaxy(sold) - '87 Masi GC(sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Very interesting.
Old 01-14-13, 02:38 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 236 Posts
I actually kind of like the Starfish; at least it's distinctive. I have to say...the DA 7400 crank is uglier (and it scuffs if you look at it cross eyed). Suntour's derailleurs are also largely hideous...

I heard that about you.........
Old 01-14-13, 02:42 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by fender1
I heard that about you.........
From a maternal relative?
Old 01-14-13, 04:15 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Great job on the Basso!

It really came out great. I know this is unchartered territory for you, but I hope you like the change. I ride a Basso, and I really like it. The bike always urges me to go faster and harder, and I can't seem to go easy with it. That SL frame is pretty special IMHO. Basso's give you the best characteristics of Italian bikes without the high price tag (relatively speaking of course!) and they always have those wacky, but cool two tone paint jobs. You got your frame for a great price!

Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of the fenders though. I understand you wanted them for rain, but they don't do the frame justice. After all, she is Italian and she should always be racy and scantily clad. As for the saddle, I agree with everyone else, it looks really good! Nice job. Brown bar tape would go great with that. Nothing wrong with the Shimano 105 IMO. I've got a bike with that group and she is fine.

You really broke her in right on that long ride in pretty dreary weather, glad you enjoyed it. It's nice to see another rider enjoy their Basso!
Old 01-14-13, 04:15 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Tubular Tyres On A Basso? Really?

Originally Posted by MrEss
I'm really loving this bike.

If you're unhappy with the harsh ride on the 23mm tires it maxes out at, maybe you should relace the hubs into some tubular rims? Then you could run 85 or 90PSI for a nicer ride without fearing pinch flats.
I'm doubtful you'll be talking rhm into using tubs anytime soon. Of course, who would've thought he'd be riding an Italian bicycle for that matter!
Old 01-14-13, 04:21 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Ya better watch out taking potshots at IGH's. I'm liable to build up my Appel as an IGH if you push it.
Old 01-14-13, 05:47 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by photogravity
Of course, who would've thought he'd be riding an Italian bicycle for that matter!
They all come around eventually...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.