Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

2012 USA Pro Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-12, 05:06 PM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2012 USA Pro Challenge

Who do you think are the best climbers and best sprinters in this years USA Pro Cycling Challenge? I am trying to get some ideas as to who to watch during different stages of the race.

The challenge starts Monday August 20 and finishes August 26. Below is a link to the Pro Challenge web site for anyone that is interested.

https://www.prochallenge.com/stages/2012/stage-1
Old 08-20-12, 03:39 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Anybody catch stage 1?

Sweet revenge for Tyler Farrar. He's been criticized pretty heavily, some fair, but much not IMO, for his poor TDF and season in general, but today he was spot on. How a sprinter like him climbed those mountains to get into the perfect set-up for a sprint finish, I'm not really sure. No other sprinters seemed to make it. But he looked really good and on form, as did the whole Garmin team. They dominated that whole race today. To bad for Danielson, who really rode his heart out for that stage...
Old 08-20-12, 03:41 PM
Kind of Blued

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Radioshack Tour Tracker is friggin' sweet. I was whisper-yelling at my computer at work, trying to help Tommy D stay away. Looks like I'm not getting much done at work this week...
Old 08-20-12, 04:36 PM
Bahnzo

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Passage, 2006 Giant OCR3

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kind of Blued
The Radioshack Tour Tracker is friggin' sweet.
Agreed!

The live video feed is great. Can't beat free either....
Old 08-20-12, 04:41 PM
Kind of Blued

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
Agreed!

The live video feed is great. Can't beat free either....
Well, like I said, getting paid to watch it at work all week beats free.

I would expect something free like that to be a jumbled mess, but all of the data, maps, profiles, etc, are all clean, interactive, useful, and totally cool.
Old 08-20-12, 06:16 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"Who do you think are the best climbers and best sprinters in this years USA Pro Cycling Challenge?"

Sincerely? probably none...

After seeing today's vuelta stage the Challenge turned up really boring. Farrar will win a few more flat stages because I dont see anybody faster than him in the bunch, and likigas did not send sagan or sagan would have smoked him today for sure.

Horner got 9th place today so that kind'a shows how the sprint was, horner will try to win this thing IMO, levi aswell. Guys to watch out in the climbs, horner and levi. The rest of the bunch are just people that is out of the peak or are getting ready for the worlds so they wont risk too much IMO, or we could have seen names like sagan in the rosters. I bet nibali wont do a thing in this race for example, half of the team bmc are just tired guys that are coming from the tour and even in the tour they were limping like evans for example.

Dont take me wrong ok? is just my opinion.
Old 08-20-12, 07:28 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Well, Farrar can only race against the riders that showed up and against them he was dominant sagan would have certain.ly made it interesting, but I think a Farrar in top form beats a Sagan in a flat out sprint.
Old 08-20-12, 07:42 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
IMO maybe the farrar from two years ago. But today's I really doubt it.
Old 08-20-12, 09:52 PM
dirty tiger
Mostly Harmless

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a chance to check out the start in Durango today, it was pretty cool.
Old 08-21-12, 01:13 PM
Cat4Lifer
Velo Club La Grange

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
Farrar in top form beats a Sagan in a flat out sprint.

He had he few chances.
Old 08-21-12, 08:00 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well todays who knows what happened because the air camera did not show a thing about how T.J chased or went off the main group to win the stage. Interesting race.. well the last 12 kms.
Old 08-21-12, 08:34 PM
canam73

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ultraman6970
IMO maybe the farrar from two years ago. But today's I really doubt it.
It was early in the season but they both contested a couple field sprints at Tirreeno-Adriatico. 3-4 one day and 4-3 the next as EBH and Cavendish were the winners.
Old 08-24-12, 06:46 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 768 Times in 395 Posts
2012 USA Pro Challenge

If anyone is interested take a look at my US Pro cycling thread in the Road forum
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-24-12, 03:47 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
I always wondered who that big hipped blonde woman was who kept running next to the winner of each stage. They finally answered it today, it's an official whose job is to follow them all the way to the testing facility.
Old 08-25-12, 10:09 PM
Giacomo 1 

How about Levi today? He was right all along - let the big fish BMC and Garmin fight it out and I'll just hang out to the end, and now, he's the yellow jersey going into the final TT. Levi really did this thing right. He is now in command of this tour, and has a great shot of beating TJ and Christian.

By-the-way, where are the Farrar haters that said he didn't know how to muscle other riders out of the way in a sprint finish? He pushed himself out of a very tough, boxed-in situation yesterday to take the stage win, didn't he? Nice job Tyler!

This has been a great tour, except for the video coverage. The scenery is beautiful and the crowds have been big and enthusiastic, to say the least! Hopefully, this tour will keep on growing and attracting the best European riders....
Old 08-26-12, 02:16 AM
Cat4Lifer
Velo Club La Grange

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gotta hand it to the Farrar fanbois...they were right...
that guy just showed the world's top spriters his back wheel!
I dont think I've ever seen Alessandro Bazzana, Alexander Candelario
and Robigzon Leandro beaten so soundly! Hope to see Tyler racing a
few local Pro 1/2 crits to really prove he can beat the worlds best!
Old 08-26-12, 07:00 AM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Liked 771 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Cat4Lifer
That pretty much says it all.
Old 08-26-12, 09:40 AM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok who will win this thing?? Any of the top 5s can win...

My money is with the BMC kid, nobody TT better than him in this race, but maybe Levi?
Old 08-26-12, 09:57 AM
Cat4Lifer
Velo Club La Grange

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm backing Levi!
The old dogs still hav a few tricks!!!
Old 08-26-12, 11:34 AM
Giacomo 1 

Originally Posted by Cat4Lifer
You can only race who comes, and Farrar did beat them "soundly". Now, had he lost to these guys, then I would agree, his career would be in trouble. This should give him some badly needed confidence when he meets the big guys again.

As for the overall, I think Levi really has everyone's number here. His strategy to hang back and watch TJ and Christian race each other all week was spot-on. And he beat TJ pretty good yesterday and probably gave himself enough of a gap to take the overall in the TT
Old 08-26-12, 01:45 PM
jtrem14

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
You can only race who comes, and Farrar did beat them "soundly". Now, had he lost to these guys, then I would agree, his career would be in trouble. This should give him some badly needed confidence when he meets the big guys again.

As for the overall, I think Levi really has everyone's number here. His strategy to hang back and watch TJ and Christian race each other all week was spot-on. And he beat TJ pretty good yesterday and probably gave himself enough of a gap to take the overall in the TT
Yeah, pretty cool to see the veteran use his experience to put him in good position, and then use his ability to overtake everyone. I'm not sure that Tejay can't overtake him in the TT. He has shown his prowess in the event in both the Olympics and the Tour.

I can't tell who I want to route for. This is great. I've thoroughly enjoyed this race. From the Colombians racing up every mountain, to Voigt and Danielson just go crazy on back-to-back days, Tejay and Van deValde battling all week...then yesterdays heroics from Levi. And the fans! What a great showcase for American cycling and the sport of cycling in general.
Old 08-26-12, 02:00 PM
eddiepliers 

Bikes: 2011 Scott Addict R3 and Redline Conquest with Campy Veloce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Nissan innovation thing today with Alain Gallopan as the Trek Nissan team push him and then do a shoe change.
Old 08-26-12, 03:14 PM
jtrem14

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jtrem14
Yeah, pretty cool to see the veteran use his experience to put him in good position, and then use his ability to overtake everyone. I'm not sure that Tejay can't overtake him in the TT. He has shown his prowess in the event in both the Olympics and the Tour.

I can't tell who I want to route for. This is great. I've thoroughly enjoyed this race. From the Colombians racing up every mountain, to Voigt and Danielson just go crazy on back-to-back days, Tejay and Van deValde battling all week...then yesterdays heroics from Levi. And the fans! What a great showcase for American cycling and the sport of cycling in general.
I meant to say Tour of Cali, not Olympics. Whoops!

Here we go!!!
Old 08-26-12, 03:36 PM
jtrem14

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a race!!!! Congrats to Vande Velde!!

Congrats to Phinney too for setting the mark on the day.
Old 08-26-12, 04:36 PM
Giacomo 1 

Wow, I never saw that one coming!

I didn't think Christian had that kind of TT in him. I thought for sure it would be between TJ and Levi. The organizers couldn't have scripted this tour any better. Great TT by Phinney also. I didn't think anyone would catch that time, but the GC contenders came really close.

This tour really deserves to see some more of the great European riders entered. The scenery, the climbs, the heights, the beautiful views, the wide roads and the enormous, rabid, crazy, zany fans that can only be rivaled by the TDF crowds (maybe!) all tell me that the very best riders in the world should be here. Thanks to NBCSports for giving us Phil Ligget and Paul Sherwin to call the race. Their usual grace and professionalism is a rarity in sports broadcasting these days, but this aging fan appreciates it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.