Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Waterproof/weatherproof Hydro packs?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-07, 10:50 AM
Pheard
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Of course the initial place to go is camelbak, but I was looking for something that

1. Can keep gear completely dry
2. Has plenty of space
3. Can fit plenty of gear for a day long ride or hike(aka camera and lenses)

Any other brands that have one up on camelbak?
Old 12-05-07, 11:08 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out what Ortleib has to offer; their goods are completely waterproof.
Old 12-05-07, 01:23 PM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Since you mentioned hiking, I assume you're talking about a backpack? If so, you might want to look into a real daypack or rucksack from a company like Kelty, Gregory, Mountainsmith, Golite, Osprey, Arc'teryx, Granite Gear, REI, etc., etc. Most packs these days have hydration ports and can fit any reservoir you like (e.g. Camelback, Nalgene, or MSR), so you don't need to limit yourself to a pack that's branded with the name of the reservoir manufacturer. I don't know of any packs that are completely downpour-proof, but you can get rain covers (including ultralight ones that are easy to pack) for just about any size pack.

As for capacity, it sounds like you may want something in the area of 2000 cubic inches or larger, which is about twice the size of the largest cycling packs (e.g. Camelback HAWG). I find that, for what I like to carry in the mountains, 3000c.i. or so is a good size for a day hike, but that's mostly clothing, food, water, and safety gear. If you start adding an SLR camera and lenses, volume (and weight) go up fast, by which point you are going to be into a size range that probably won't work well on a bike. This is because as you get into larger volumes and heavier loads (say 2000ci and 20lbs or so), the pack will generally have a full suspension including a rigid internal frame and a real hip belt. I'm not sure how that feels on a bike, so you might not be able to find something that does both jobs well.

About the only difference I've seen between the Camelback cycling packs, and a small general purpose daypack with hydration ports is the reflective piping, so don't worry too much about getting something cycling specific.
Old 12-05-07, 01:31 PM
jwbnyc
Señor Wences

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Deuter Dry Shield.
Old 12-05-07, 02:05 PM
Pheard
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was actually thinking the hawg, sometimes Id actually use it for the water pack, and sometimes for other things. So, hiking, and MTBiking.

The reason I'm thinking camelbak/waterpacks is because I'm trying to keep things in that medium compact size range. I don't want a full size pack.
Old 12-05-07, 02:52 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
Check out what Ortleib has to offer; their goods are completely waterproof.

+1. They meet your needs to a 'T'. https://www.ortliebusa.com/
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 12-09-07, 12:35 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Another solution...Get any backpack or messenger bag you are comfortable with that meets your requirements and put a CamelBak Unibottle in it. Turns anything on your back into a hydration pack. Works for me.
Old 12-09-07, 10:38 AM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Completely "proof" is expensive and fail when least expected (like forgetting to zip it). A decent bag with a couple those giant ziplock plastic bags will, more often then not, be sufficient.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 12-09-07, 05:57 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try www.duluthpack.com. They make really good old-fashioned canvas packs (better than nylon for reasons the Web site will explain), which you can render COMPLETELY waterproof with a bag Duluth can provide, or with a kayaking "dry bag." I've never found a nylon bag that wouldn't leak at least a little in a heavy rain, but my old Duluth w/bag (or Ziplocks) has been completely submerged many times without hurting anything.
Old 12-09-07, 08:45 PM
Michigander
Banned.

Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Where do you get money for this stuff if you don't have a job?
Old 12-09-07, 10:39 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 902 Posts
Jon, are you going to put that new camera in it?

I have the HAWG and it is not big enough to put that camera plus a jacket, plus any souvenirs you might be buying on your trip to Mexico. I'd say go for that mess bag type thing with the uni bottle.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 12-10-07, 01:50 PM
Pheard
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michigander
Where do you get money for this stuff if you don't have a job?
I don't have a steady job, I just get smaller jobs sometimes.

I don't have money to get anything right now, these are all "wishlist" items. If I don't waste it all on knives, eventually I'll have the dough to get this stuff. Right now, I only have a few hundred. I need about 600 for the camera.
Old 12-10-07, 01:51 PM
Pheard
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Jon, are you going to put that new camera in it?

I have the HAWG and it is not big enough to put that camera plus a jacket, plus any souvenirs you might be buying on your trip to Mexico. I'd say go for that mess bag type thing with the uni bottle.
Eventaully I'll need something I can take biking, that isn't a full size backpack that I can put some small stuff plus cameras and lenses into. So yes, for a new camera. The mexico thing is probably out, most likely disney land, I don't need much extra space for souvenirs, just the camera, and some small extra stuff.
Old 12-11-07, 05:09 AM
240GL

Bikes: Bros Sonic FS XT-LX hybrid w/Brooks Swift

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both the wife and I are very happy with our Ortlieb Flight backpacks, used on our daily commutes in all sorts of weather. We have the small size (22 liters).

"Newly developed waterproof daypack in two sizes. Features: 2-way TIZIP zipper, breathable harness system with meshed back for optimal ventilation in all sport activities, especially cycling! Waterproof main compartment, as well as a waterproof outer front pocket which also closes with a TIZIP zipper. Two side neoprene pockets with bottom openings for waterbottles. Integration of hydration system is possible for even the tube passage can be hermetically sealed when regular tubes (up to a diameter of 10,5mm) are used, and can also be completely closed from the inside. The mesh helmet flap is hidden in a tiny zipper compartment at the bottom next to the flashing light holder. Further features: internal organizer in , valuables compartment, reflectors on shoulder straps and front, carrying handle. The zipper for the main compartment can be locked with a small padlock (not included)."
https://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/...?pid=135&cid=2