Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Motobecane Champion Team

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Motobecane Champion Team

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-18, 09:45 AM
Elcieguy

Bikes: 600 Le'ger Gitane '73; Team Champion Motobecane '73-'74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi! And thanx again. Maybe I will get there! Also is there any interest in pictures of my old Gitane 6oo Leg'er? It is/was a good old cruiser but I don't believe it is special, just a good cruiser in the day!
Old 05-03-18, 10:26 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by Elcieguy
Hi! And thanx again. Maybe I will get there! Also is there any interest in pictures of my old Gitane 6oo Leg'er? It is/was a good old cruiser but I don't believe it is special, just a good cruiser in the day!
You will find that the bar for “is this bike worthy of posting pictures?” is a low one. All levels are welcome! There is a “show your French bikes” thread - that would be a good place. You only have a few more posts to go.
Old 05-03-18, 11:23 AM
Elcieguy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi-I believe I paid $550 for my orange bike in 1977. Bike shop owner told me it was one-owner before me. That sounds similar to other posts I have read in this forum for those bikes("73-"74 CT/TC). Very cool you have the old sales slip-
Old 05-03-18, 11:43 AM
Elcieguy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Due Ruote: I have seen that "show your French bikes" thread. I'm agreeing that might be a good place to post my Gitane-thanx for the idea.
Old 05-25-18, 09:24 PM
Elcieguy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ten posts to post pics Moto

Due Ruote: I have seen that "show your French bikes" thread. I'm agreeing that might be a good place to post my Gitane-thanx for the idea.
So recently busy & trouble negotiating to “French bikes “ thread i’m afraid-frankly I seem to have to re-set my password to log in often-anyway, my sons and son-in-law are planning to do several days RAGBRAI(look it up!) this summer-they are excited as it is a happening for those ho have not heard of or participated. I dont care to sleep in a tent any longer but its a great time-it would be a bucket list to have an orange bike group do a day or two...lets talk about that for next summer!!! Speak to Iowa interest in riding here...if i can get my bike in shape(and myself too). Close to 10 posts!
Old 06-04-18, 12:54 PM
Elcieguy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Motobecane Champion Team ‘74

So recently busy & trouble negotiating to “French bikes “ thread i’m afraid-frankly I seem to have to re-set my password to log in often-anyway, my sons and son-in-law are planning to do several days RAGBRAI(look it up!) this summer-they are excited as it is a happening for those ho have not heard of or participated. I dont care to sleep in a tent any longer but its a great time-it would be a bucket list to have an orange bike group do a day or two...lets talk about that for next summer!!! Speak to Iowa interest in riding here...if i can get my bike in shape(and myself too). Close to 10 posts!

Picture from iPhone no good! Sorry I’ll try to get them sized differently...?

Hoping to upload Orange bike picture now

Some rust down under

Likes For Elcieguy:
Old 06-04-18, 01:08 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
That looks great Elcieguy. The details of the seat stay caps and drop out/stay connection look identical to mine which is a '74. Your head badge looks different than mine though.
Old 06-04-18, 01:23 PM
Elcieguy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
C/T headbadge

Thanx Kactus-somewhere along the way I read that some of these bikes have a “chintzy” head badge-I guess that would be mine. There are some pictures of very classy ones in the thread if you haven’t seen them...would you mind sending a picture of your head badge? And can you tell me where to look for a year on my bike?
Old 06-04-18, 01:43 PM
Kactus

My head badge is a little more "square" where your's looks more rectangular. It's still a decal though.
Old 06-05-18, 11:42 AM
Elcieguy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Headbadges

Originally Posted by Kactus
My head badge is a little more "square" where your's looks more rectangular. It's still a decal though.
it seems strange that Motobecane would change headbadge decals and and even place a really fancy one on some of these bikes-however different years, different suppliers perhaps...?
Thankyou for sharing that picture which is very different size,shape, and color from mine.
Merziac was kind enough to contact me and suggest I get moving on allaying the rust issues on bottom bracket, one frame tube and unfortunately inside of rear forks near dropouts. I’m now thinking I’ll find a book on dismantling the bike & the bike specific tools to get that frame rust fixed-I’m way in over my head already but mostly terrified I’ll get it all apart & not be able to reassemble...like he said to me, no time like the present! I’m likely to have a local frame builder Merziac recommended deal with the paint issue once rust is dealt with-thanx once again for advice and encouragement-I’m going to try to add one more picture of the rear dropout areas of rust
Old 06-05-18, 12:08 PM
Kactus

Merziac was kind enough to contact me and suggest I get moving on allaying the rust issues on bottom bracket, one frame tube and unfortunately inside of rear forks near dropouts. I’m now thinking I’ll find a book on dismantling the bike & the bike specific tools to get that frame rust fixed-I’m way in over my head already but mostly terrified I’ll get it all apart & not be able to reassemble...like he said to me, no time like the present! I’m likely to have a local frame builder Merziac recommended deal with the paint issue once rust is dealt with-thanx once again for advice and encouragement-I’m going to try to add one more picture of the rear dropout areas of rust
There may be some members who live near you that can help. I know if you were anywhere near me, I'd be happy to help with the assembly/disassembly work, proper tools, etc. Those rust spots are in a concealed enough location that once the rust is stabilized you could do the touch-ups yourself. Mine had many similar rust spots and I just went to a hobby store and bought various shades of orange model paint and mixed them until I was close. As you've noted, the fear of screwing up really is the hardest part; just don't be afraid to ask questions, get books and on-line advice and take your time. If you start to get a little frustrated just put it aside and try again tomorrow. We can help with questions, and member 'chaz' is incredibly knowledgable about anything French bike related.
Old 06-05-18, 01:50 PM
Elcieguy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Orange bikes

Originally Posted by Kactus
There may be some members who live near you that can help. I know if you were anywhere near me, I'd be happy to help with the assembly/disassembly work, proper tools, etc. Those rust spots are in a concealed enough location that once the rust is stabilized you could do the touch-ups yourself. Mine had many similar rust spots and I just went to a hobby store and bought various shades of orange model paint and mixed them until I was close. As you've noted, the fear of screwing up really is the hardest part; just don't be afraid to ask questions, get books and on-line advice and take your time. If you start to get a little frustrated just put it aside and try again tomorrow. We can help with questions, and member 'chaz' is incredibly knowledgable about anything French bike related.
Thanx for reply Kactus and the advice-I have a project for sure! Also your bike looks perfectly clean & shines-you should be very proud of that classic! It’s my goal now to make mine look that spectacular! Got to go get a book & tools...
Old 06-06-18, 01:27 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,386 Times in 3,671 Posts
Here's mine, tx to @obrentharris

Likes For merziac:
Old 06-06-18, 02:44 PM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 103 Posts
In my endeavors to find a match to the Molteni Orange on the '73 Colnago I picked up, I have purchased several bottles of orange touch-up paint. I will check my Motobecane C-T against some of the colors I have on hand and I'm sure something can be mixed up.

The three RAL colors I have are 2000, 2004, and 2011.

You can purchase bottles of touch up paint here:

RAL Products

Last edited by satbuilder; 06-06-18 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-06-18, 02:52 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
OK, who is the mechanic that inverted the Campagnolo brake spring?
Old 06-06-18, 08:30 PM
kohl57

Bikes: https://www.ipernity.com/doc/286349/album/550107

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 22 Posts
Here is my 1974 Champion Team which I acquired in almost NOS condition. Serial 20 3891.

Full set of pix and details here:

ipernity: 1974 Motobecane Team Champion by Peter Kohler

Peter Kohler
Washington DC USA
Likes For kohl57:
Old 06-07-18, 07:15 PM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 103 Posts
I brushed out some of the RAL2004 touch up paint, and compared it to my ‘74-‘75 Champion Team. I think it’s about as close a match as can be had without getting a custom mix.
Old 06-10-18, 07:21 PM
Elcieguy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanx for the replies you guys! In process of securing some necessary info, practice, bike specific tools and then get it going! Merziac, youve been amazing help and glad to see your orange frame! Satbuider, thanx for paint info-hope to share that with local framebuilder, Kactus for pics and encouragement, and Peter Kohler for showing the same bike i think i have and what i hope it can look like! You folks are so helpful and Ive yet to put it up on a bikestand-I have to buy one 1st! Im on it
Old 10-26-21, 01:20 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Thanx for the replies you guys! In process of securing some necessary info, practice, bike specific tools and then get it going! Merziac, youve been amazing help and glad to see your orange frame! Satbuider, thanx for paint info-hope to share that with local framebuilder, Kactus for pics and encouragement, and Peter Kohler for showing the same bike i think i have and what i hope it can look like! You folks are so helpful and Ive yet to put it up on a bikestand-I have to buy one 1st! Im on it
So did you ever get there, any update?

3 years later.
Old 10-26-21, 06:45 PM
Elcieguy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
So did you ever get there, any update?

3 years later.
Afraid I dropped the ball-health & other issues & lost momentum. In all fairness bought a work stand & a couple bike repair “bibles” that were fairly intimidating to a novice like me…got some bike specific tools, then as I said, lost momentum & so she still sits. i may have bitten off more than I can handle so next step is to try & appoint with local frame/bike builder & ask for help getting started now that weather is turning.
Thank you for reaching out & I hope this message finds you well & enjoying your orange bike!
Lance
p.S. If/when I get rolling, I’ll keep you posted 1st thing!
Likes For Elcieguy:
Old 10-26-21, 06:55 PM
merziac

Afraid I dropped the ball-health & other issues & lost momentum. In all fairness bought a work stand & a couple bike repair “bibles” that were fairly intimidating to a novice like me…got some bike specific tools, then as I said, lost momentum & so she still sits. i may have bitten off more than I can handle so next step is to try & appoint with local frame/bike builder & ask for help getting started now that weather is turning.
Thank you for reaching out & I hope this message finds you well & enjoying your orange bike!
Lance
p.S. If/when I get rolling, I’ll keep you posted 1st thing!
No worries, I get it, I must have 100 projects, many of them bikes that are constantly vying for action. I have 2 monumental bikes right now and am struggling with both even though I should be able to sleepwalk right through both at the same time without even stubbing a toe.

You can and should ask here for a guru in your locale, many/most will be glad to help. The other thing would be a co-op or bike kitchen where you can learn on other bikes and be ready to rock on your own after awhile.

Gather your chi, further suss out a plan and make it so.

My TC is one of the longest languishing projects of all, just keeps falling further back in line, needs more paint work than I can ignore, should just put it together anyway for the time being and ride it some.
Old 10-26-21, 07:39 PM
Elcieguy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
No worries, I get it, I must have 100 projects, many of them bikes that are constantly vying for action. I have 2 monumental bikes right now and am struggling with both even though I should be able to sleepwalk right through both at the same time without even stubbing a toe.

You can and should ask here for a guru in your locale, many/most will be glad to help. The other thing would be a co-op or bike kitchen where you can learn on other bikes and be ready to rock on your own after awhile.

Gather your chi, further suss out a plan and make it so.

My TC is one of the longest languishing projects of all, just keeps falling further back in line, needs more paint work than I can ignore, should just put it together anyway for the time being and ride it some.

Thanx again! Paint will be another thing after rust(minor, I think)…lots of posts regarding matching color-but that’s far down this guys list. I’ll ask the frame guy about those help/train possibilities & see where this leads! Appreciate your mentorship!
Old 10-26-21, 08:16 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by kohl57
Here is my 1974 Champion Team which I acquired in almost NOS condition. Serial 20 3891.

Full set of pix and details here:

ipernity: 1974 Motobecane Team Champion by Peter Kohler

Peter Kohler
Washington DC USA
Please let me know if you would ever like to sell this bike.
Old 05-10-23, 08:57 PM
cycledog1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Sedgemop
Please let me know if you would ever like to sell this bike.
beautiful!!
Likes For cycledog1: