Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hardware resource

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hardware resource

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-23, 07:57 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Hardware resource

Hoping someone can recommend a source for buying a general collection of bike screws. Was putting on some fenders and now have to add a back rack and scouring my collection of nuts and bolts but missing what I need. Seems like every bike uses a different size of nut and bolt and of course, I never have what I need.

I see Amazon has loads of small cases with multiple sized hex nut and bolts but the last time I made that purchase I got 2 bins of the tiniest collection of nuts and bolts imaginable. I have no idea what these would be used for but they were of no use to me so I gave them to my local bike coop.

Looking for hardware that I could use to attach fenders, racks, toe clips on to pedals, etc...
Old 07-24-23, 08:09 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Just go down to Ace hardware and get the one or two bolts and nuts you need when you need them. Otherwise you'll have a garage full of so much stuff you won't be able to move around in it. Nor will you be able to find it when you need it.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-24-23, 09:17 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
My local Ace hardware had an amazing collection of nuts and bolts; zinc plated to stainless, English and metric, almost everything I ever needed.

Sadly, they closed last year.
Old 07-24-23, 10:55 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
This place is near me. Saturn® Fasteners | Acument® Global Technologies (saturnfasteners.com)
Old 07-24-23, 11:42 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 3,747 Times in 1,841 Posts
If you have one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Nut-Thread-Ch...f_B09LH877TB/? - portable version

or these:
https://www.amazon.com/Horizontal-Ga...24938757&psc=1 - shop version

Then the worlds your oyster, you can then grab the right nut/bolt at the local hardware, the big orange store, Amazon, McMaster Carr, Grainger, Saturn fasteners, etc

edit: my problem is that then you need Calipers and an angle gauge to determine head size and angle of head (which I have) but then you determine No One sells that bike/part specific screw you need! Which is why some of the more serious folks here have a lathe to make there own.

Last edited by SoCaled; 07-24-23 at 11:46 AM.
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 07-24-23, 02:42 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 831 Posts
For attaching items to most bicycles, in my experience most fasteners are 5x0.8 or 6x1.0 metric threading. A selection of bolts in lengths from 10 mm to 30 mm should fit most needs, along with nylon-insert nuts. I would not recommend using common USS sizes like 8-32 or 10-24, as they may not fit well and probably will not thread well at all into most eyelets or fittings.

Locally, I buy them in bulk from Copper State Bolt and Nut in 100-packs. 100-packs are big for most casual users, but I end up working on a lot of bikes. One option would be to buy a 5 mm or 6 mm bolt assortment, and then invest in a near-lifetime supply of nuts.

I personally prefer hex head bolts for most uses. It seems many bikes and accessories use button head socket (hex) screws, but many of these require a 3 mm hex wrench, which can easily round out under higher torque.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 07-24-23, 02:54 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Biketoolsetc. for the win ! https://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.c...63&c=Fasteners

This place reminds me a certain eclectic bike shop I used to go to as it had most any little bits and things and they were inexpensive.

Porkchopbmx is also a great place for all sorts of small bits. If you need half moon washers for you fenders they have them. https://www.porkchopbmx.com/search/h...6&min=0&brand=

If you just search for "washer" and filter the choices down by price you'll find a bunch there too. https://www.porkchopbmx.com/search/w...1&min=0&brand=

Their website doesn't make it easy to find stuff like biketoolsetc, so best use the search function.
Likes For Garthr:
Old 07-24-23, 03:08 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 1,046 Posts
My Dad now in his 90's has had a little kick of removing all the screws, bolts, and nuts from appliances and other stuff we throw away. We now have several jars of small nut and bolt mixes that we dig into quite often.

But for bicycle fenders I would stick to getting the exact right fit and length in Stainless with Lock Nuts. You don't want some odd ball fastener made of Chinesium that will have unpredictable time of failure stats...
Old 07-24-23, 05:38 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I have an Ace hardware less than a mile from home so pick stuff up when I need it. If there is a Grainger distribution center near you, you can order from them and have it delivered to your local center for no charge. I've done that with some oddball things not available at Ace.
Old 07-25-23, 06:41 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
If there's a bike co-op near you, they'll have bins of misc screws and may let you dip into it for a few spares. If they're organized, they'll have it sorted by 5 and 6 mm, and you can select the type of head--Allen cap, round head Phillips, hex, etc. Hex nuts are harder to come by--you may have to buy a few at the local hardware store.

I've been collecting spares from bike accessories for decades, for so long that they're stored in film cannisters. Remember those?
Old 07-25-23, 07:05 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

All good advice, thank you all. I'm in Canada so we don't have an Ace hardware and as in most urban areas, the small hardware stores are a thing of the past being replaced with the big box stores (Home Depot). I do go to these places but you have to buy these big packages of hardware instead of a one off and I find most of their hardware is in international standards, not metric. At least for the little nuts and bolts. As mentioned above, I prefer hex bolts instead of philips or robinson's (Canadian thing) and those are even harder to find at a hardware store.

My dad also used to collect screws, nuts and bolts and have them in big coffee cans that you could rummage through to find what you need ha ha. We also used to have film cans!

I do have a coop that I visit and they are great but sometimes you rummage for a while going through their collection.

I'm going to try some of these links provided above and try and find bike hardware. Velo Orange has all the hardware I need but it's not worth the cost of shipping up here.
Likes For gthomson:
Old 07-25-23, 10:55 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Home Depot here in the US has what you want

I prefer to use the metric hex socket head bolts because that is compatible with bike multitools. My local Home Depot does carry them in 6 and 8 mm, the usual sizes on the bike. They come in a 2 pack in a variety of lengths. The price here in the states is $1.25 for a pair of short ones. I would never need to go there as I have a container of small bike parts that always has some of these in it. https://www.homedepot.com/p/M4-0-7-x...4578/204283600 You can also get similar bolts with a hex bolt head and they come in packs of 2 to 6.
Old 07-25-23, 12:32 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Gthomson, Biketoolsetc does ship to Canada ! The rate is the "expedited" on their table. Only you know what's reasonable for you, but at least the price is fixed and upfront based on the purchase amount. Customs is another matter, hopefully you have some idea what to expect.

https://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.c...ing&c=&sc=&tc=

Since I don't have any bike shop near me, let alone a good one with lots of small parts, I look at shipping costs and how they'd compare with driving even if there someplace to drive.
Likes For Garthr:
Old 07-27-23, 07:03 AM
gthomson

Had a friend recommend this item from Amazon so ordered and received it the next day. I think I'm set for life!

https://a.co/d/4JB2ePi
Likes For gthomson:
Old 07-27-23, 12:32 PM
fat biker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
As we know on our bicycles, vibration is a constant.
Lessons I have learned as an electronic technician, working around mechanical engineers..
Either mechanical or chemical thread lock required.

Nyloc nuts are handy.
I keep Loctite 242 and 222 both handy.
I prefer stainless fasteners
Old 07-27-23, 12:40 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Fenders and racks? Don't forget the cork washers = so much quieter all conditions. May reduce need for locktite, depending on where/how you ride.
Old 07-27-23, 06:29 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Belmetric.com