Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Stokes litter clamshell

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Stokes litter clamshell

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-23, 09:12 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Stokes litter clamshell

Any Navy veterans in the forum who find the humor in this that I did? I passed it on my ride yesterday and it made me chuckle enough that I had to go back and get a picture of it. I’d seen them used in sets before…two for one person…but never knew of them being bought/sold as a set.

Dan
Old 08-08-23, 12:09 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
I'm ex-Navy and I don't see anything humorous.
Old 08-08-23, 12:48 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I'm ex-Navy and I don't see anything humorous.
On sea duty…in liberty ports…unruly crew members (usually D&D) would be brought back to Fleet Landing and the ship in a pair of these zip-tied together.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 08-08-23, 04:14 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Didn't happen on my ships - 3 deployments to 6th fleet (Med) and 1 to 7th fleet (WestPac). Or my 2 ships as a Middie with summer cruises Europe and Phillippines/VietNam. 1970-1977.

I have transferred ship to ship in a boatswain's chair. No fun. Certainly would not want to transfer in one of those.

Mini-rant
One of the most disturbing things I saw many, many times was men jumping off the ship as it left pierside. Some think of the Navy as easy duty; but, 6-9 months away from family/friends regularly over 4 years is very tough on many. Good enough reason for drunk and/or disorderly. Leaving Subic for VietNam there were so many jumpers that the USS Providence left 'em for the tugs to rescue and take to the brig. Needs of the Navy. My experiences were days of the universal draft - which was a good policy and should be reinstated (given our large military) so that every son born in USA has the equal opportunity to become a veteran Patriot. No deferments for bonespurs or the wealthy. Patriot needs a specific definition, not the loose use of the term thrown around today for anyone who 'claims' to Love America, while complaining about it. Fixes the military staffing issue as well.

Last edited by Wildwood; 08-08-23 at 04:57 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 08-08-23, 04:31 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
My dad, a former summer forest ranger, tales of a rescue in the 1940s, where he was not present, with a Stokes carrier up a steep slope in Sequoia national Park. Unfortunately they forgot to strap the rescued party in, the Stokes carrier flipped over, OOPS!!!