Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Should all E-bike threads be moved to Electric Bikes forum?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Where do E-Bike threads belong?
All E-Bike threads belong in Electric Bikes Forum
50.91%
E-Bike threads can reside anywhere because they are Bicycles
49.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Should all E-bike threads be moved to Electric Bikes forum?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-23, 10:14 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I ride what most of the world would consider a "normal" bike -- a German upright commuter with chainguard, lights, fenders and so on. Many people ride road bikes instead basically because they go faster. What's the difference between riding that and riding an e-bike? The bike exists so one can do the mission.
Old 08-02-23, 11:39 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
Let’s not share our failures while presenting them as cycling successes which is not usefull.
Old 08-03-23, 11:18 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Let’s not share our failures while presenting them as cycling successes which is not usefull.
Why not? You just did.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-10-23, 05:06 PM
yeamac 
Parttime Member

Bikes: 2021 Cannondale Topstone Neo SL, 2021 Tesoro Neo SL EQ, 2012 Marin Bridgeway City; 1996 Cannondale MT1000 tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
Perhaps it might be useful to look at the words that Joe and I wrote at the beginning of this sub-forum many years ago. Does the purpose of the forum encourage or discourage the inclusion of e-bikes?
Thank you for that.

LOL, I mean, seriously, TWO posts that mention e-bike in the title in the 50 plus forum and a poll like this gets created? Why the phobia?

As for my post "My e-bike makes me feel like I'm 35 again!, I posted that in the 50+ forum because the topic was MY AGE, and it fits with the forum description.

Where does this belong? "I'm a 55-year-old clydesdale riding a mountain bike long-distance in the Pacific Northwest."

If you don't like to read about e-bikes, I have some common sense advice for you: AVOID CLICKING THE THREADS WITH "E-BIKE" IN THE TITLE.

Last edited by Hermes; 08-12-23 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Cleanup - No Trolling
Old 08-10-23, 05:39 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by yeamac
Thank you for that.
When the 50+ forum was started in May of 2005, there was tremendous discussion pro and con. The "gestalt" around cycling at that time was that it was unusual for someone over 50 to be cycling. True. Of course, many exceptions, but there was no place where an older rider (especially a beginning rider) could go to get encouragement, ask what they considered to be stupid questions (they weren't stupid, only uninformed). The forum was started to fill that void and to encourage older/aging cyclists to start and continue.

Now, about 18 years later, older cyclists are all over the place, and folks regularly cycle into their 80's and 90's +. There are a multitude of forums for older cyclists - Facebook has cycling over 50; over 60; over 65; over 70; and a large forum of over 80.

At that time there was no such things as commercial, readily available e-bikes - the technology wasn't there yet. Now there are. Accommodating to e-bikes on forums such as these is a challenge. Thanks for your nice words.
Old 08-11-23, 05:11 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
My concern was the normalization of electric motor powered bikes and bicycles. If a 50+ who is a new or returning cyclist, discovers BFs and comes here for guidance or advice on getting along with CYCLING, they shouldn’t be advised to get an electric bike — in my opinion. We should be promoting the beauty and benefits of cycling. If they scan the threads and see e-bike threads here and there, they could easily interpret that electric motors are an option like raising their handle bars.
I take it that you have not lost your health in a big way as some point and are reasonably fit. A bicycle is self balancing and can replace a walker. I have built 15 e bikes for people over 80. All cadence, not torque sensed bikes. A cadence sensed bike can be ghost pedaled to allow someone to loosen up the joints prior to decreasing power and getting some exercise. You can bet if I see a thread of someone shut out of cycling because they can't get back over the hump of getting the bike started, I am going to recommend the right e bike with a dropper post. Throttles on bikes I build are essential for some. Throttles can be very dangerous for others with early dementia at a stop light.
Stuff your ego, Wait till you get old. I am enabling, not cheating any of these folks and I would hope they can ask questions hear concerning being over 50 and discuss their options including appropriate bikes .
Likes For KPREN:
Old 08-11-23, 06:29 AM
Classtime 

KPREN I hope you don’t get someone hurt or worse with your “enabling”. My wife has had many geriatric patients and would never advise an electric motorcycle as an alternative to a WALKER! My god! My dad went to 100% Stationary bike in his mid eighties because starting, small inclines, and getting lost made it unsafe. Are you monitoring these 50+ as their mind and body continues to deteriorate? Surgery at 80 is pretty dangerous. You may want to make your rounds asap and check up on these folks.
Old 08-11-23, 11:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by KPREN
I take it that you have not lost your health in a big way as some point and are reasonably fit. A bicycle is self balancing and can replace a walker. I have built 15 e bikes for people over 80. All cadence, not torque sensed bikes. A cadence sensed bike can be ghost pedaled to allow someone to loosen up the joints prior to decreasing power and getting some exercise. You can bet if I see a thread of someone shut out of cycling because they can't get back over the hump of getting the bike started, I am going to recommend the right e bike with a dropper post. Throttles on bikes I build are essential for some. Throttles can be very dangerous for others with early dementia at a stop light.
Stuff your ego, Wait till you get old. I am enabling, not cheating any of these folks and I would hope they can ask questions hear concerning being over 50 and discuss their options including appropriate bikes .
Ignore him. I think he's egging you on. Sad.

I am hoping to get back on the bike next month after suffering a serious illness at the beginning of the year and almost dying. (I almost certainly would have died had it not been for an observant neighbor and the fact that another neighbor had access to the key to my house from cat sitting.) I literally did not walk for over 2 months. Every doc and therapist I have seen (and am seeing) has encouraged me to do that starting out first in a controlled environment, like an uncrowded, wide bike trail. (I know just the place.) Hoping I can ultimately handle a "regular" bike, but if not, an e bike is not out of the question.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-11-23, 08:11 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
KPREN I hope you don’t get someone hurt or worse with your “enabling”. My wife has had many geriatric patients and would never advise an electric motorcycle as an alternative to a WALKER! My god! My dad went to 100% Stationary bike in his mid eighties because starting, small inclines, and getting lost made it unsafe. Are you monitoring these 50+ as their mind and body continues to deteriorate? Surgery at 80 is pretty dangerous. You may want to make your rounds asap and check up on these folks.
Oh for cremini sakes. I am not running a nanny state
So when it comes to E bikes and your own ego, what are you pretending not to know?
Old 08-12-23, 06:25 AM
Classtime 

Originally Posted by KPREN
Oh for cremini sakes. I am not running a nanny state
So when it comes to E bikes and your own ego, what are you pretending not to know?
Maybe I’m just cranky because for 32 years, my wife makes me choose — Motorcycles or Her! My brother has pegs instead of pedals on his Gold Wing and you charge your batteries instead of filling the gas tank on yours. Both of you sit upright and go. I’m just jealous🤡
Old 08-12-23, 08:08 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
My wife has always been opposed to motorbikes, though I owned a BSA Lightning when we met 50+ years ago. This new offering from Trek was mentioned in the ebike section. Ponto Go I could tell my wife it's just another bicycle but I could sit comfortably w/o having to kit out, use flat pedals and not have to break a sweat while out cruising around. The 60 mile range probably includes some pedaling, don't know how much, but if I could get 40 miles with minimal effort that would cover many of the local attractions.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-12-23, 09:00 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
We did some cleanup. As a reminder, no trolling other members and no copying or linking of material from other threads, especially ones that were closed due to conflict and no accusing other members of trolling. Your compliance on this matter is appreciated.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 08-12-23, 10:55 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
YES YES, 1000 times yes. I have nothing in common with eBike riders and don't need to read about their motorcycles here in a bike forum.
Likes For cccorlew:
Old 08-12-23, 03:34 PM
yeamac 
Parttime Member

Bikes: 2021 Cannondale Topstone Neo SL, 2021 Tesoro Neo SL EQ, 2012 Marin Bridgeway City; 1996 Cannondale MT1000 tandem

The main demographic for e-bikes is going to be riders over 50. Not sure how you can have no mention of them in a 50+ forum.

I did a 36-mile group ride with my cycling club today on my e-bike with the assist turned off. So the only difference I had with the non e-bike riders was that my bike weighed more than theirs. It was great to see a couple of older riders (70+) with e-bikes ride with the group where without an e-bike they would not have been able to.

There is a lot of false assumptions and misinformation about e-bikes by some non e-bike riders. I faced a similar thing when I purchased my electric vehicle two years ago, and still do. EVs are somewhat understandable because I tend to run in conservative circles and EVs have been politicized (unfortunately). I must admit I'm shocked to find a disdain of e-bikes in a 50 plus cycling forum. Maybe not for you, but not for anybody because not for you?
Old 08-12-23, 03:52 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Old 08-12-23, 03:57 PM
yeamac 
Parttime Member

Thanks for the tip about hiding a member.

Last edited by yeamac; 08-12-23 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-12-23, 04:24 PM
Classtime 

Originally Posted by yeamac
The main demographic for e-bikes is going to be riders over 50. Not sure how you can have no mention of them in a 50+ forum.

There is a lot of false assumptions and misinformation about e-bikes by some non e-bike riders. I faced a similar thing when I purchased my electric vehicle two years ago, and still do. EVs are somewhat understandable because I tend to run in conservative circles and EVs have been politicized (unfortunately). I must admit I'm shocked to find a disdain of e-bikes in a 50 plus cycling forum. Maybe not for you, but not for anybody because not for you?
I assumed that there is a motor that adds significant power to the rear wheel of an e-bike. I apologize for accepting the misinformation as fact. Southern Calfornia beach cities electric bike riders are approximately evenly distributed across age groups. That you and others promote electric motor bikes as just a bicycle for old people who won't accept riding a bike within their ability is annoying and I believe a problem when motorized vehicles are now permitted to use infrastructure that has historically been off limits to motorized vehicles.

I would like the mods to close this thread. The poll is closed and I can go back to ignoring this electric motor bike marketing nonsense.
Old 08-12-23, 04:30 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Thread closed per OP request.
Likes For Hermes: