Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ride Leader Mike H - Gone Too Soon

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-23, 10:58 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 831 Posts

I've been riding with a group on Sunday mornings out of Granada Park in Phoenix, AZ for the last 43 years (as of Labor Day weekend). This group was originally affiliated with the Arizona Bicycle Club, then moved to the Phoenix Metro Bicycle Club in 2019 after ABC folded. I've been leading a group as part of this ride for more than 32 years - my group cruises at 11-13 mph, while other groups had a faster pace.

The reason I'm writing is that my counterpart for the faster 15-16 mph group led his group last Sunday and seemed fine. I don't know his age, but it's highly probable he's in the 50+ category. On Wednesday evening he suddenly collapsed at home and then passed away Thursday evening. And just like that, he went from very active rider to gone.

Mike will be sorely missed, and his pedals will be big ones to clip into. The group will go on. But let's all get our regular medical exams, try to spot dangerous issues before they become lethal, and just keep riding, in Mike's memory and in the memory of all the other riders who passed before their time (or lived to a very ripe old age prior to passing).

Thank you for letting me post here in his memory.
Old 08-27-23, 01:33 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 837 Posts
Sincere condolences to you and his family for the loss of your friend. I recently lost a valued friend to a sudden and completely unexpected heart attack, but he was 98. He was active and fully able to take care of himself, his family, and his home and garden all the way until that morning, and was well-loved in the community. We all have an expiration date, just don't know what it is in most cases.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069