Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-09, 02:42 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Turned 50 last year.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
Mostly older stuff. Current stable includes a '92 Guerciotti w/8s Ergo, '83 Trek 600, c'81 French frame now single speeded, and a BF SSFG IRO fixie. Also have two builds in works currently, a 1972 Frejus I'm cleaning/restoring, and a c'85 Gianni Motta I'm having to resurrect from the ground up, including paint.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
A few basic vitamins. Saw Palmetto is suppossed to keep the prostate in shape, so I've added that. Wish I hadn't taken all the weight-lifting supplements I did in my 20s and 30s. I'd be a lot lighter, and could climb better, now.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
Was never fast.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
I remember buying a three speed back when I was real young. Went to a Schwinn Apple Krate, and my first "10-speed" around '72 or '73. Was out of cycling for the most part after getting married in '87, but came back in '03 just before the 45th birthday.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.
Road rides only. Weeknights 20-25 miles. Try to do at least a 40 miler on the weekends, but only a few rides over 70 under the belt (or is that bibs?).

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
getting back to a reasonable schedule from 1-3 times a week. Last year was a complete bust. I have no idea of the total miles/year.
Old 05-16-09, 10:21 AM
smorris 

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone RB-T, 1997 KHS Summit X converted to an Xtracycle, 1993 Trek 970 SingleTrack, 1973 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all,

I posted my introduction over in the main forum, but as I fit in here, I thought I'd add my info to the thread.

Here's my intro link

1992 Bridgestone RB-T

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

No

Practically to a dead stop! I've paid minimal attention to my physical condition for years, and it has caught up to me. I am a sedentary being learning to ride all over...

The first 40 years of my life, and then nothing

Previously, small group rides with the local club, and solo rides.

Zero! But that's gonna change.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.

Steve
Xtracycle conversion on 1997 KHS Summit X

Last edited by smorris; 05-16-09 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-16-09, 10:33 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by smorris
Hi all,

I posted my introduction over in the main forum, but as I fit in here, I thought I'd add my info to the thread.

Here's my intro link

1992 Bridgestone RB-T

No

Practically to a dead stop! I've paid minimal attention to my physical condition for years, and it has caught up to me. I am a sedentary being learning to ride all over...

The first 40 years of my life, and then nothing

Previously, small group rides with the local club, and solo rides.

Zero! But that's gonna change.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.

Steve
Welcome, Steve

kjc9640
tony2v
bumblebikemike
OverTheHill
USAZorro

and anyone else I missed.

Sorry to be so long in welcoming you. I've been bicycling!
Old 05-21-09, 12:56 AM
dmann
dmann

Bikes: Trek 7200 modified, 08 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hardware: 08 Specialized Sequoia elite, 02 Trek 7200

Supplements: multi-vit, fish oil, lipator

Impact: fighting to get faster, do not like getting dropped by girls

History: wore out a Trek 400 in the early 80's, then marriage/kids/career, started to crawl back with the 7200 and out rode that bike last year.

Venue: solo fitness ride, 14 - 20 miles, averaging just south of 16 mph, 4 - 6 days a week
Old 05-25-09, 11:57 AM
ChrisOG

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? I use an old 1970’s era Schwinn 10 speed, everything is original except for the rear rim which I had to replace when it bent when I hit a pot hole couple of years ago. A neighbor had it in their basement and gave it to me as a gift. During the winter and bad weather I ride a Murray hybrid, that another neighbor gave me. Once my kids get out of college, I can afford to get a better bike.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? A multi vitamin, Fish Oil, Sal Palmetto and a baby aspirin. I also take some vitamin C before I ride.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? A bit but I feel good; I don’t get a lot of aches and pains. I’m 52 now.

4. How long have you been biking? I used to ride a lot when I was a kid, I had a 3 speed English racer when I was a kid (late 1960’s) that I loved, no one could beat me on that bike is a short race. I used to ride to College when I was in Graduate School, but stopped in my early 20’s. Once my oldest son got his driver license his hybrid bike just sat there getting rusty. My older brother had several heart attacks and it got me thinking, so I got his bike back in shape and starting to ride about 5 – 6 years ago. I wore out that bike, and that’s when my neighbor gave me the Schwinn.

5. What type of biking do you do? I live at the Jersey shore. From September to late May I ride on the boardwalk, it’s perfect in the winter when I ride after work. It’s well lit flat and safe. In the summer I ride on the street and it can be challenge dealing with all the traffic and tourists, I really have to be on alert every second.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? I ride almost every day, except for really bad weather. My estimate is a bout 60 – 70 miles a week, I guess 3300 – 3500 miles a year.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.? In the summer I boogie bard and body surf, and I take a half hour power walk after lunch.
Old 06-02-09, 01:02 PM
cervelo-van

Bikes: Cervelo R3, P2C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find it kind of funny to post to a 50+ thread, as I am 53 and therefore eligible to post here, but don't think of myself as in my 50s, which I imagine is true for a lot of people on this forum given what you do.

I am usually the oldest person in the groups I ride with, sometimes more than twice as old. I love it.

Talking about age, what impressed me a lot was on a recent semi-organized 203K ride that I did in April. This was my first time going anywhere near that far, the previous longest ride had been 103K just 2 weeks prior. I rode most of the way with one vet who gave me some good advice and assistance along the way. The course had some good hills. We finished in 8:34 total time, 7:51 ride time. I then find out that the guy I rode with is 77!

Please tell us your age. 53 (54 on August 3rd)

I have a Cervelo RS and a Kuota KOM

I take Transform most mornings

New to biking, less than one year, so can't comment

Less than one year.

Rides are between 50-90K with approx. 5 longer rides a year. 100-300K
Started commuting to work by bike as well.

5-6 days a week. Average 1000K a month in summer, about half that in winter months.
Old 06-03-09, 10:08 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Turned fifty this year.

'09 Trek 4.7 Madone. Also have an old Cannondale Black Lightning and an older Nishiki International. I love riding them all.

No.

Knees hurt and shoulder surgery in January but other than that, still chugging along.

Biked all the time as a kid and somewhat in college. After that, nothing but short trips around the neighborhood with the kids. Started in again last year when running really became a chore. A couple of guys in my office ride alot and they talked me into it. Caught the bug and got the carbon this winter.

Most of my rides are around 25-30 on the road and some shorter (10 to 20) with wife or daughter on tow path.

I do about 100 a week riding 3 or 4 days per week. I just did my first fifty miler and that went much better than expected and am now thinking about a century.

Last edited by gettingold; 06-03-09 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-03-09, 02:41 PM
tomwalker8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be 56 in early August.

Unlike a lot of people, I have one bicycle - a 1970 Schwinn Paramount built in July of that year. I wish everything I have worked half as well!

No.

Quite a bit, if I'm honest about it. When an undergraduate I could jump on my bike on a whim and ride a century. I still could ride a century, but I'd train pretty hard for a month or so first. Also, my 20+ mph days have become 16 - 18 mph days. Sometimes slower.

I rode a lot as a child (a Schwinn 3 speed), then fell away until I was in the Army. I bought a bike and didn't have a car, so I rode a great deal. When I got out I bought my Paramount and it's been my horse ever since. Some weeks I don't ride at all, others I'll do 100 miles or more, so it varies.

I rarely ride more than 40 miles at a stretch, but even less frequently ride fewer than 20.

I'm just now reinvigorating my riding - I'd begun running more because it takes less time. This year I'll clock a few hundred miles.
Old 06-11-09, 09:52 PM
ltmark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 62 years old and ride a Canondale R600 that I bought 5 years ago.

None- I drink Monavie faithfully. Fortunately, other than the need for a hip replacement, I've always been involved in some type of sports and pretty healthy.

I am much better now...primarily because I have to actually train, rather than relying on youthful ability. If I trained then like I do now, I would-a-been pretty good!

I initially started riding at 34 years old with work buddies. I did my first Century in 1985 (A "Solvang" Century in the freezing rain and cold...it was miserable!) and I am in much better cycling shape TODAY since I stopped smoking 2 years ago. The difference is amazing.

All my training is for the purpose of riding centuries. I'm in Southern California and although I live in a very populated area, I do all my riding alone. I have never had a group to ride with and have never "drafted" on anyone. I mean "never". Even during my century rides, I ride my own pace (I try to average 15mph) and make an effort to not let my "competetive" nature to take over since Iam not a youngster any more! Since I smoked for 30 years and recently stopped ( 1 year ago), I use a heart rate monitor and try to be smart. Other than my beautiful wife of 35 years, cycling is my love. I wake up every day, looking forward to my rides.

I ride 6 days a week, faithfully! I never go less that 20 and try to go at least 35 or more once a week. All my training is directed toward a least 3 centuries a year. They are what allows me to maintain my enthusiasm. I'm hoping to do a total of 4500 this year.
Old 06-13-09, 01:02 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Please tell us your age. 61 yrs. old on 1/10/09

Road Bike - '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (CF flat bar) Road bike
Hybrid - '02 Diamondback

Glucosamine/Chondroiton, Multi-vitamin, Mona Vie Active

Can't tell since I just started road biking in Feb '09. Ride in a "B" group 19-21 mph. Sidewalk riding in the Hybrid with the fam - 12mph.

Occasional biking all my life...serious cycling for the 4 months.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
30 - 40 mile rides 2-3 x a week, rode my age 2x.

3 x a week.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
Golf, like to ski but don't get much chance in So. Fla., work out at the gym 2-3 x week.
Old 06-13-09, 01:29 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

WOW

You have really progressed fast for starting in February.

Welcome
Old 06-20-09, 11:39 AM
jotaeh

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi-Mod Dura-ace, Cannondale Carbon Synapse 3 Ultegra

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
54 year old newbie

Klein Reve X Ultegra triple, but I'm converting to a compact double as I get stronger.

No

Lots!

Used to ride lots until I was in my 20s. After a couple of health scares last year, I decided to ride again. Mountain bike at first, but found it too punishing on my old bones. I got a road bike this year and I'm loving it.

Road bike; some short, some medium length rides. I still ride my mountain bike once in a while.

I try to ride 3-4 times a week. I ride to work (~9 miles each way) 2-3 times a week and try to do at least a 30 miler during the weekend. I mostly ride alone... I haven't figured out the etiquette of group riding yet. 30 miles seems to be my "enlarged prostate imposed" ride length. I'm still overweight and wear bib shorts, so going to the bathroom can be an ordeal! Don't know how many miles I'll do this year, but I'm up to about 900 miles since I started riding my road bike 3-1/2 months ago.

You know you're getting on in years when you plan your rides around bathroom breaks!

Last edited by jotaeh; 06-20-09 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-20-09, 12:28 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

I'm still overweight and wear bib shorts, so going to the bathroom can be an ordeal!
I wear bibs as do many.

Just roll the pants leg up and go to it. No need to take everything off (unless - well, you know!)
Old 06-21-09, 07:20 PM
DoubleGuy

Bikes: Cervelo RS and Merlin Extra Lite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DoubleGuy weighs in.

Please tell us your age.

Okay, I had my 61st birthday last November, but I don't feel anywhere close to that old (at least what I thought being that old would feel like).

I guess it would be presumptuous of me to suggest that I know what other riders of my vintage ride, but personally, my steed of choice is a Merlin Extralight. When I took the plunge to a nice bike (after crashing my Schwinn Paramount on a nasty, technical descent -- both I and the Paramount did three summersaults before it was over) my thought was that I wanted a bike that I could keep a long time and titanium got the nod.

Sure do. Have virtually all my life. My mom started me off on One-a-Days and as I got into my adult years, I read up on nutrition and supplements (anyone remember Adel Davis?) and have been on a pretty significant supplement regiment ever since. Currently take a mega-multiple plus C (1000 mg), E (400 i.u.), Calcium, iron, glucosamine/condroitin, Acai berry extract, ginko biloba, and L-Lysine. I also take a supplement called Nitirix (it's a brand name). It’s supposed to be very good for your veins.

While I admit that I lose it faster and it takes longer to get it back, I don't think I'm just a whole lot slower than, say, 20 years ago. Probably faster. I just have to work a little harder at it, but I can easily live with that.

I got a paper route when I was 12 and rode in the pre-dawn darkness everyday for a couple years (had to have everybody's Washington Post delivered by 6 AM). I've ridden off and on throughout the years, but really got serious about riding in the early 90's.

I do long rides.

Here in California (I left the East Coast in the 80's) they have a series of rides called the California Triple Crown (you can Google it) which is a series of supported 200-mile rides (in one day). When I first heard of such a thing, I was incredulous. I had just started doing century rides and knew how rung out I felt after 100. I couldn't imagine doing another 100. A good friend encouraged me to try and I did 3 doubles in 2004, 5 in 2005, 10 in 2006, 3 in 2007, 5 (of the toughest doubles on the calendar) in 2008 (plus I also qualified for the King of the Mountains series - three very tough century rides the same year). I had a freak fall in November last year and broke my pelvis (among other things) and was off the bike for three months, but am back now, have another double under my belt and am scheduled for another one coming up. (I'll get in at least the required three doubles this year (2009) to keep my string of Triple Crown years going.)

On a good week, I'll get in three mid-week training rides, a ride to and from work one day (20 miles each way) and a club ride with my buddies on Saturdays (45 to 60 miles). Of course, life sometimes gets in the way so it is a rare week that I don’t miss at least one of those and some weeks I may even miss most. I probably get in between 5 and 6,000 miles a year.

Here's a question that should be added to this list:

What is your goal that relates to cycling?

Mine is to ride 100 miles on my 100th birthday.

OK I guess that's really two goals, now isn't it? If things keep going like they are and the Big Guy smiles on me, I'm going to make it.
Old 06-21-09, 09:21 PM
fjohnj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age. 53

Bottecchia CF78 Sprint Double with Dura Ace
Looking for a Hybrid to ride around town

Nope

A little

Biked most of my life but stopped riding about 15 years ago, life just got in the way. Started riding again last year and forgot how much I enjoy it!

20+ training rides, I try to do two or three 50 plus rides a month. Just completed my first Metric Century

2 or 3x per week
Will do about 2500 - 3000 miles this year before November

My goal is to complete a Century Ride before September 23
Old 07-08-09, 04:15 PM
michaelincol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
new guy in frederick co

Please tell us your age. 54

canondale bad boy for towing my four year old in his trailer and errands around town
bianchi san jose ss for short 20 mile or so road rides as i get in shape than maybe longer
trek 520 for longer road rides and for use as i get in shape for centuries
gary fisher rig 29er ss for trail rides (not much yet)

solgar multi and ginseng

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any

back to biking after years running but yea slower - and longer to recover, can't beat body with no consideration like I used to.

back a few months - biked when young for all transport on my own at 16 and for the freedom and joy it gave me. left it as i built high tech career and ran instead. laid off 18 months ago and now I am using the bikes I bought the last 3 years with intent to resume biking but didn't use with the job as I was always traveling

4-5 times a week right now 20-30 miles road with add of a longer ride weekly with hope to ride my age and maybe a century (how can i find some in CO?) before this winter

also errands around town - 15 miles to shopping and libarary kind of stuff, rides my my son on trail and dq

lastly a few trail rides but not many yet

answered above - first yearly mileage will be this year
Old 07-08-09, 04:23 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Hi!

I am in Colorado. Where are you?

There is a regional forum where centuries are regularly discussed.

https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...c&daysprune=-1

Ask there

Welcome.
Old 07-09-09, 05:35 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

2. Be able to ride my age for as long as I can, 70 would be very cool
In a day or a week?

Welcome!!
Old 07-09-09, 08:20 AM
semsd

Bikes: Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A day. but on the other hand if I make it to 70 I'll be doing better then all the other men in my family have done. most haven't seen 65. LOL
Old 07-10-09, 10:05 PM
cheval

Bikes: Look 555 & Cannondale CAAD 9 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Born: July 11 1959, Just turned the big 5-0! 1.bikes:2004 Look 555 road bike. 2.Supplements: glutamine after a hard effort. 3. Not yet. 4. I've been riding four years 5.Type of rides: mostly longer road rides[35-200] 6. usally ride 4-5 times a week 7.yearly milage: 8000 ish
Old 07-18-09, 03:17 PM
floralagator

Bikes: Orbea Lobular

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Age 53

Orbea Lobular with Sram Rival Components, compact crank.
Cannondale R800 with Shimano 105 Components, compact crank.

Nothing but SportLegs to help with cramping. Love the stuff.

From teenage years, some. Just started biking again about 3 years ago, and I'm getting stronger.

Got my intro to road biking at age 17 with a Gitane TdF as a high school graduation present. Rode it a good bit around town, to college, etc. for a few years, then "real life" took over and I didn't ride again until I reached age 50. Had gained weight, BP was starting to get borderline high and cholestoral/tryglicerides were not good. Started riding to lose weight and get back in shape. Have dropped 20 lbs. Need to drop 20 more. BP and other issues are now back to normal.

Normally ride 25 to 65 miles at time. Have done some longer rides, including centuries, but I don't usually have the time for them.

Try to ride 2-3 times per week. Average about 2500 to 3000 miles/yr.
Old 07-20-09, 02:21 PM
semsd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy all!

Lets see….I’ll be 51 at the end of August, very happily married to a fun, beautiful, very smart and supportive woman.
took a little 25 year break from cycling, but I’m back.
I have always had a weight problem and I’m finally seriously trying to do something about it. Lucky for me I love riding bicycles. On May 4th I was 267 lbs when I reach my first goal weight 240 lbs I'll get wear my new US Navy jersey that standing by for me in my closet . Only 2 dam lbs away! I'd like to get down to 200 lbs by spring 2010. and get off my meds.
My wife said I’m going thru a “healthy midlife crises” she’s very cool with it.
I’m using Livestorng.com to track my progress. Look me up SEMSD.
I ride about 125 miles a week +/-.
Just wanted to say hello

“Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.”
Lance Armstrong

Last edited by semsd; 07-20-09 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-20-09, 03:07 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Hello back to you, and best of luck in your weight loss and exercise goals!!
Old 07-20-09, 08:40 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Hello back to you, and best of luck in your weight loss and exercise goals!!
I agree! Just keep riding and don't be in a rush -- stick with it, you'll loose the weight.

And, is that a tattoo bicycle on your calf, or is something casting a shadow that looks exactly like a bicycle?
Old 07-20-09, 09:07 PM
semsd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the supportive words
And yes my tattoo does look a lot like a bicycle.

I asked the guy for a puppy.....LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.