Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Pedal constantly?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Pedal constantly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-23, 08:47 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
I do much of my riding, up to 100 miles, on a fixed gear, where, whenever the bike is moving, you are pedaling. You can choose to pedal hard or soft, fast or slow, but unless you come to a complete stop, you are always pedaling.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-17-23, 08:58 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 831 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I do much of my riding, up to 100 miles, on a fixed gear, where, whenever the bike is moving, you are pedaling. You can choose to pedal hard or soft, fast or slow, but unless you come to a complete stop, you are always pedaling.
And one of the peculiar charms of a fixed gear bicycle is that if you forget you are on one and stop pedaling, the bicycle is more than happy to remind you You Can't Do That and attempt to launch you from the side with the upward-moving pedal.

Don't ask me how I know this...
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 06-18-23, 09:38 AM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
I live in the south if we stop pedaling we coast to a stop. I stop pedaling when approaching an intersection or if I just need a break for a second but basically if you want to go forward you need to pedal and most of us cyclist want to go as far and as fast as we can so there's that.
Likes For rob214:
Old 06-18-23, 09:45 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by rob214
I live in the south if we stop pedaling we coast to a stop. I stop pedaling when approaching an intersection or if I just need a break for a second but basically if you want to go forward you need to pedal and most of us cyclist want to go as far and as fast as we can so there's that.
I’m in Fort Worth. Not a lot of elevation changes here either.
Old 06-18-23, 09:49 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I have been getting back in shape and losing weight. I go to the gym most days and ride a stationary bike for 30 minutes. Today I rode for 45 minutes. I pedal constantly on the stationary bike.
Do riders never stop pedaling when riding on the street for 15-20 or more miles?
I just turned 65 and really need to get fit. I wasn’t wasted after 45 minutes but that was only the equivalent of 10 miles.
The biggest difference when riding on the road is the large and dynamic variation in pedal resistance with changes in gradient, wind conditions and gearing. Unless you are riding on a smart trainer or using an interval program, the stationary bike will probably be providing constant resistance during your 30-45 min workouts. It would be like riding on a road with no change of gradient and constant wind conditions. I find such conditions mind-numbingly boring, pedalling constantly at the same force and cadence. When riding on the road, pedal force is far more dynamic and there are moments when you can coast or soft pedal (pedalling without force) for a brief recovery. I find this variation in effort makes long rides far more bearable and interesting. Don't be afraid to coast whenever it feels natural. As you gain strength and fitness you will naturally coast less anyway, especially on flatter terrain or when climbing. On rolling terrain it is quite normal to coast or soft pedal more often.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-18-23, 10:41 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by PeteHski
The biggest difference when riding on the road is the large and dynamic variation in pedal resistance with changes in gradient, wind conditions and gearing. Unless you are riding on a smart trainer or using an interval program, the stationary bike will probably be providing constant resistance during your 30-45 min workouts. It would be like riding on a road with no change of gradient and constant wind conditions. I find such conditions mind-numbingly boring, pedalling constantly at the same force and cadence. When riding on the road, pedal force is far more dynamic and there are moments when you can coast or soft pedal (pedalling without force) for a brief recovery. I find this variation in effort makes long rides far more bearable and interesting. Don't be afraid to coast whenever it feels natural. As you gain strength and fitness you will naturally coast less anyway, especially on flatter terrain or when climbing. On rolling terrain it is quite normal to coast or soft pedal more often.
Thanks. I wasn’t comparing road cycling to indoors at the gym. I am using the gym simply to get my legs back in some level of fitness.
Old 06-18-23, 12:08 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Thanks. I wasn’t comparing road cycling to indoors at the gym. I am using the gym simply to get my legs back in some level of fitness.
Sorry, I thought you wanted to know if pedalling on the road was the same as in the gym i.e. constantly pedalling throughout.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-18-23, 12:41 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 166 Posts
Personally, I'm always pedaling except when I get to the point going down hill it's faster to stop pedaling and tuck.
Likes For mackgoo:
Old 06-18-23, 01:03 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Sorry, I thought you wanted to know if pedalling on the road was the same as in the gym i.e. constantly pedalling throughout.
I was-sorta. I haven’t ridden in a group before and was curious.
Old 06-20-23, 09:55 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
i try to keep my cadence about the same but I don’t have a cadence counter on my computer.
In the immortal word of Mr. Spock, “Fascinating”.

Old 06-21-23, 01:26 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I only worry about continuous pedaling for indoor trainer sessions, or fast group rides with drafting. I don't do the latter anymore, so it's not an issue.

Outdoors, I don't worry about whether I'm pedaling or coasting. Some friends mostly ride fixed gear bikes now and pedal continuously. But I never learned to like fixies. I like my gears, and the ability to spin up a climb in an easy gear, or stand to stomp the pedals in top gear.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-24-23, 06:20 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I am not expecting a direct comparison between the stationary bike and riding on the road. On the stationary I usually start on about 60 rpm and about 60 watts on level/ gear 4 which shows about 13 mph. About halfway when my legs are warned up i am doing about 70rpm and 14mph.
The main point is I am pedaling without stopping ir slowing down for 45 minutes.
Should I start going for an hour?
I want my legs in decent shape by the tome I drop enough weight to start putting miles on my bike. I read something about the weight limit on ny Roubaix and the big concern being the CF seat post. I’m not far away from a safe weight.
What are the numbers? What is the bike's weight limit, and that of the seatpost? How much do you have to drop to feel comfortable? Do you know the technique of lifting your butt off the saddle as thebike goes over a bump?

I think it's a shame to waste the use and the riding time of a fine bike like a Roubaix. Have you heard of any actual failures of this type on a Spec Roubaix of your size and model year? The bikes actually have some bad road cred in actual use!
Old 07-24-23, 06:33 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Road Fan
What are the numbers? What is the bike's weight limit, and that of the seatpost? How much do you have to drop to feel comfortable? Do you know the technique of lifting your butt off the saddle as thebike goes over a bump?

I think it's a shame to waste the use and the riding time of a fine bike like a Roubaix. Have you heard of any actual failures of this type on a Spec Roubaix of your size and model year? The bikes actually have some bad road cred in actual use!
I have dropped enough weight that it isn’t an issue now.
Old 07-25-23, 04:44 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
That's great, but parts of your bike is likely to last longer if you ride 'light'. Your body is likely to be more comfortable, too.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 07-25-23, 05:51 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by philbob57
That's great, but parts of your bike is likely to last longer if you ride 'light'. Your body is likely to be more comfortable, too.
I will do what I can. I do stand on the pedals and flex my legs on abrupt bumps like the transition between an asphalt street and a concrete valley. There are 3 on my local circuit through town.
Old 07-25-23, 07:13 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Thanks everyone. I was just curious if I should be pedaling nonstop on the longer rides. Right now pedaling 45 minutes is tough enough. I can’t imagine doing that for twice as long or more.
Of course when I was young I couldn’t imagine running a mile either. I need to do it once so I will know I can.
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
.................................... Pedal as much as is needed for you to accomplish the desired goal and to keep it fun.
I have dropped enough weight that it isn’t an issue now.
I will do what I can. I do stand on the pedals and flex my legs on abrupt bumps like the transition between an asphalt street and a concrete valley. There are 3 on my local circuit through town.
Great reading you dropped the weight. Standing and flexing legs is good for over bumps BUT it's also great to exercise muscles not used when seated.

My 2018 Roubaix is propped in front of me as I type and is ready to ride in a bit over 3 hours to begin my 11th Anniversary 100 mile ride for a friend hit by a semi and killed as he a 2 others began their last week of riding from Prudhoe Bay to Key West. It also is the 1 year Anniversary of my being hit by a WILD HOG for the 2nd time.

As for your continued riding adventures, make sure they remain fun and keep on improving your riding form so you become more efficient.

Smooth and safe miles for you and ENJOY!!!

p.s. - as I ride I will be listening to

KPLX 99.5 The Wolf FM live

Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 07-25-23, 07:18 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Great reading you dropped the weight. Standing and flexing legs is good for over bumps BUT it's also great to exercise muscles not used when seated.

My 2018 Roubaix is propped in front of me as I type and is ready to ride in a bit over 3 hours to begin my 11th Anniversary 100 mile ride for a friend hit by a semi and killed as he a 2 others began their last week of riding from Prudhoe Bay to Key West. It also is the 1 year Anniversary of my being hit by a WILD HOG for the 2nd time.

As for your continued riding adventures, make sure they remain fun and keep on improving your riding form so you become more efficient.

Smooth and safe miles for you and ENJOY!!!

p.s. - as I ride I will be listening to

KPLX 99.5 The Wolf FM live

I am more of a 92.5 guy. I really miss KZEW and Q-102.
Old 07-25-23, 09:48 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

I am more of a 92.5 guy. I really miss KZEW and Q-102.
Just tried listening before I head out the door and afraid they're not biking tunes for this 73yo geezer
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 07-25-23, 10:22 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Just tried listening before I head out the door and afraid they're not biking tunes for this 73yo geezer
I’m 65. I can’t imagine my cadence listening to ZZ Top Afterburner and Eliminator.
Are you in Dallas or Fort Worth?
Old 07-26-23, 03:43 AM
OldTryGuy

I’m 65. I can’t imagine my cadence listening to ZZ Top Afterburner and Eliminator.
Are you in Dallas or Fort Worth?
Enjoy ZZ Top but not for biking.

r.e. bold - live in SW FL. Just completed 55.55 miles of the 100 miles I ride for friend hit and killed by semi 11 years ago.

added 45.54 miles on 2nd ride so got my 100 Mile Memorial Ride for Pete.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 07-26-23 at 12:42 PM.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 07-26-23, 06:44 PM
gottahavit

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I have been getting back in shape and losing weight. I go to the gym most days and ride a stationary bike for 30 minutes. Today I rode for 45 minutes. I pedal constantly on the stationary bike.
Do riders never stop pedaling when riding on the street for 15-20 or more miles?
I just turned 65 and really need to get fit. I wasn’t wasted after 45 minutes but that was only the equivalent of 10 miles.
When i was younger I would sprint/stop a lot, now I tend to pedal more consistantly and mostly only stop on sharp downhills.
Likes For gottahavit:
Old 07-26-23, 07:49 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by gottahavit
When i was younger I would sprint/stop a lot, now I tend to pedal more consistantly and mostly only stop on sharp downhills.
I was just curious about pedaling non-stop for 20-25 miles or more.
Old 07-26-23, 11:10 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 831 Posts
I'm planning on doing a 12-hour ride Friday night, and I'll probably be pedaling nearly the entire time I'm on the bike, which hopefully will be 100 miles or more.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 07-27-23, 07:23 PM
gottahavit

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I'm also really bad about cadence, I tend to bike in harder gears at lower cadence
Likes For gottahavit: