Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Crosstraining?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Crosstraining?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-23, 08:32 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I worked with a guy who played amateur hockey. He wasn't tall but he was very strong. He would run in the hills to work on his stamina and he said he was only on the ice in short intervals. He also rode dirt bikes and mountain bikes but his worst injuries were from hockey.
Interesting on the injuries, I played Junior and College hockey. I only fractured an ankle, a couple of ribs and maybe 100-150 stitches over the years. I have broken a lot bones cycling, much more. I don't count my hockey bruises and contusions or road rash cycling. We did not wear masks or shields, so, we always looked like we were in a fight due to being hit with sticks and pucks.

I don't recall any studies but retention of muscle mass ,and VO2 max are important as we age. I did read that both have the highest predictor of mortality. Maybe I should take up yoga or something. My backpacking is too sporadic.
Old 06-22-23, 09:44 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Interesting on the injuries, I played Junior and College hockey. I only fractured an ankle, a couple of ribs and maybe 100-150 stitches over the years. I have broken a lot bones cycling, much more. I don't count my hockey bruises and contusions or road rash cycling. We did not wear masks or shields, so, we always looked like we were in a fight due to being hit with sticks and pucks..
This guy was an extremely aggressive player, I'm sure. He missed a lot of work because of injuries. I think the worst one was an elbow injury. I know he also had a concussion and some banged up ribs.
His wife wanted him to quit hockey and I think she probably got her way, I haven't seen him in a few years, though.
Old 06-22-23, 10:40 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
What I've figured out in 60+ years of living is, engaging in healthy activities I don't enjoy is not sustainable.

I don't enjoy lifting, swimming, running, boxing, or bowling. I enjoyed playing basketball until injuries came as frequently as games. I enjoyed softball, but concluded that's not actually healthy.

I enjoy cycling and hiking, so I do those.

Upper body workouts come from out of saddle climbing. Not ideal, I'm sure, but sustainable.
Old 07-26-23, 04:44 PM
spyderjohnson

Bikes: Schwinn Huron 3 speed cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
I think you are on the right track.

I’ve been doing some strength training fairly consistently for a bit over twenty years, but only with relatively light weights.

At home I mostly do light dumbbell weights and floor work (push-ups, plank, crunches, etc. etc). At our rec center I will often do a circuit of the weight room followed by a run on the indoor track.

I don’t really want to lift weights but some sort of strength training is clearly necessary for my overall fitness.

Otto
I'm in full agreement!