Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My e-bike makes me feel like I'm 35 again!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My e-bike makes me feel like I'm 35 again!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-23, 06:44 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Bikes and e-bikes are not mutually exclusive.
I agree and both can be fun. My point is that adding a motor makes it a very different activity. JMO and I don't venture into their happy place.
Old 07-26-23, 10:04 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
We don’t need a 50+ Bicycle Forum if you all think electric motor bikes are bicycles. What is there to discuss? Oh ya. We can discuss e-bikes and what fun they are. Hey Zeus!
Old 07-27-23, 06:30 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I very much doubt anyone would be fooled into thinking like that. People I know who ride e-bikes simply appreciate the faster pace for various practical reasons eg keeping up with a stronger group or a long, hilly commute.
The 20 year olds might protest at being passed by a 50 year old using a battery powered bike on a hill climb. Yes, I understand the popularity of riding in with others.
Old 07-27-23, 06:49 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
The 20 year olds might protest at being passed by a 50 year old using a battery powered bike on a hill climb. Yes, I understand the popularity of riding in with others.
If I was riding an e-bike in a mixed group I wouldn’t drop anyone on the climbs. That would be rude for sure. My friend who does sometimes ride with us on his e-bike actually paces us up the climbs and I find that very useful.

If 20 year olds want to race up hills, there are plenty of competitive events they can enter. They have no business to complain about 50 year olds on e-bikes. They should race their own peers.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-27-23, 07:11 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Was on vacation with my wife the other week and we brought our bikes (pedal power) as there were many places with lakeside waterfront trails to ride on. Mostly flat and just one way but they went on for long distances and my wife has a limit after about 25 km. The majority of the couples we saw along route who were our age were riding e bikes.
Likes For gthomson:
Old 07-27-23, 12:55 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
We don’t need a 50+ Bicycle Forum if you all think electric motor bikes are bicycles. What is there to discuss? Oh ya. We can discuss e-bikes and what fun they are. Hey Zeus!

Holy moly, lighten up.
It's just a discussion about bicycles. .
It is a big cycling Universe.
Lines blur, there are no unwritten rules (outside one's head).

Be safe, be respectful, roll on.

Clear your handlebars and your mind will may follow.
Old 07-27-23, 02:45 PM
Classtime 

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Holy moly, lighten up.
It's just a discussion about bicycles. .
It is a big cycling Universe.
Lines blur, there are no unwritten rules (outside one's head).

Be safe, be respectful, roll on.

Clear your handlebars and your mind will may follow.
This and some other recent threads are discussions about motor bikes NOT BICYCLES. There is a forum for these types of recreational vehicles that have motors but resemble bicycles somewhat. But I understand that people who don't want to pedal in the normal fashion to propel their bicycles would like to convince everyone that motorized two wheel vehicles are part of this expanding cycling universe. WAR IS PEACE. EBIKES ARE BICYCLES.
Old 07-27-23, 04:40 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
The 20 year olds might protest at being passed by a 50 year old using a battery powered bike...
I find the exact opposite more often, except the protesters are 60ish. You know, my age.

As to feeling 35 again, I say an e-bike is cheaper than a divorce.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 07-27-23, 05:01 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'd say this is entirely appropriate for experienced cyclists of advanced age. Several of our group have gone to ebikes for the same reason. They still enjoy the social aspect even though they can no longer do the work. This is different from a relatively young person going directly to an ebike and missing the benefits of actual cycling. JMO.

And learning some bike etiquette! My problem isn't with e-bikes, my problem is all the idiots that never learned how to ride.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 07-27-23, 08:14 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
@Classtime - I'm with you on almost all this ebike stuff. There are lots of people coming into 'the sport of cycling' who haven't ridden a bike since childhood or longer. Some may have been gasoline powered motorcyclists who like power and speed. But basically, these folks have no bicycle handling skills, no sense of speed limits on mup trails and no desire to pedal. Their machines often have 3"tires, weigh in excess of 50+pounds, not really designed for any pedaling and are impossible to pedal on any incline up. No need to license, like a motorcycle, makes ebikes a no brainer for many....and too many drawn to throttles, power, speed.

Then there are other types of ebikes. Used by cyclists who want a boost - for a bunch of valid reasons. Commuters, older people, spouses wanting to participate, one ebike in a collection, etc. Usually,folks of a different mindset, they want to pedal. Bikes are sub 40pounds, etc.

but lines blur, intentions vary, pedaling gets hard, etc. Then there are the emountainbikers....e-up for bombing down.

ebikes are not bikes. but they are ebikes and share the same routes.

my 'e' is one of a dozen roadies and (with some frequency) allows me to ride more days, more miles with more smiles in our hills and with more energy left for other tasks. X35 rear hub motor with assist to ~14mph when pedaling the 30pound drop bar road bike, size XL. Today, it took me on a hilly 35mi roundtrip to the dentist, that would have been a car trip otherwise. 72yo.

Last edited by Wildwood; 07-27-23 at 08:23 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 07-28-23, 12:29 PM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
https://y.yarn.co/41e96ff9-06cd-4b57...64def_text.mp4
Old 07-28-23, 10:42 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
ebikes, particularly stealthy ebikes, are a boost to my ego. When a cyclist blows by me, ego says "ebike!"
Likes For downtube42:
Old 07-28-23, 10:49 PM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Have fun an your new e-bike, and stay safe
Old 07-29-23, 01:45 AM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Ebike for outside, strava for inside(cause you can also easily cheat power settings on that too!) The future is now!(and its lame af)
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 07-29-23, 11:54 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
This and some other recent threads are discussions about motor bikes NOT BICYCLES. There is a forum for these types of recreational vehicles that have motors but resemble bicycles somewhat. But I understand that people who don't want to pedal in the normal fashion to propel their bicycles would like to convince everyone that motorized two wheel vehicles are part of this expanding cycling universe. WAR IS PEACE. EBIKES ARE BICYCLES.
This thread is not about motorbikes (which you don’t pedal). The type of e-bike the OP has is pretty relevant for older cyclists looking to maintain their pace while cycling. Is that so threatening for you that nobody is allowed to even mention them outside of the dedicated e-bike forum? Surely you can skip the odd thread here that doesn’t meet your standards?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-29-23, 01:39 PM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
This thread is not about motorbikes (which you don’t pedal). The type of e-bike the OP has is pretty relevant for older cyclists looking to maintain their pace while cycling. Is that so threatening for you that nobody is allowed to even mention them outside of the dedicated e-bike forum? Surely you can skip the odd thread here that doesn’t meet your standards?
He has a point. Nothing wrong with an older, weaker person wanting to keep up. Just that they wear a sign that acknowledges, it isn't them.
Old 07-29-23, 01:58 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
To be fair, having a motor makes a bike a motorbike. Does it matter whether it's electric or petrol? And mopeds have pedals.... Propulsion by motor vs by human is key. Having said that, ebikes are the future. We all love ease, comfort and inclusion.
Old 07-29-23, 02:08 PM
Classtime 

My problem with threads like these, posted here, is that a fifty plus rider looking for information can interpret the e-bike posts as electric motor powered bikes being accepted as bicycles and an alternative to perseverance, training, nutrition, weight loss, aging, etc.
They are not bicycles and should not be promoted as such.
Old 07-29-23, 02:22 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
My problem with threads like these, posted here, is that a fifty plus rider looking for information can interpret the e-bike posts as electric motor powered bikes being accepted as bicycles and an alternative to perseverance, training, nutrition, weight loss, aging, etc.
They are not bicycles and should not be promoted as such.
I agree, to a degree. While I'm glad they work for some people and serve a purpose, they are not an alternative to perseverance, training, nutrition, weight loss, etc. Should there be a sub-forum here for wheel chairs? Skate boards are on wheels and so are a lot of other modems of transportation. NOT.
Old 07-29-23, 02:28 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Well here I am at 83 not riding an ebike. I'm slow, have no group to keep up with except my shadow. I have chosen trails and ways to ride off the main routes and have absolutely no desire to be a lemming in a peloton. No desire for an e-bike until I can't turn the pedals.

Last edited by gobicycling; 07-29-23 at 02:32 PM.
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 07-29-23, 03:02 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
Well here I am at 83 not riding an ebike...
Looking good! I'm 73 and hoping that I'll be where you are in ten years. I've been cycling a bit less than six years, and really, when I'm riding, I feel ageless. Not 35 again, or 50 again, but I don't feel my age at all. It's a good feeling. I don't see a problem with cyclists who prefer an ebike, but I enjoy riding under my own power and plan to ride that way as long as I am able.
Likes For Random11:
Old 07-29-23, 07:12 PM
Classtime 

Originally Posted by SpedFast
I agree, to a degree. While I'm glad they work for some people and serve a purpose, they are not an alternative to perseverance, training, nutrition, weight loss, etc. Should there be a sub-forum here for wheel chairs? Skate boards are on wheels and so are a lot of other modems of transportation. NOT.
Motorized wheelchairs belong here apparently.

Last edited by Classtime; 07-29-23 at 08:09 PM.
Likes For Classtime:
Old 07-29-23, 08:10 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
To be fair, having a motor makes a bike a motorbike. Does it matter whether it's electric or petrol? And mopeds have pedals.... Propulsion by motor vs by human is key. Having said that, ebikes are the future. We all love ease, comfort and inclusion.
Yeah, e-bikes are the modern incarnation of the original-concept moped. It's a bike with a motor. I don't have a problem with anyone riding one, as long as they don't try to make it a competition. On Thursday I won the sign sprint, even though the guy with the e-assist bike went flying by me at the end. I lost to a motorcycle - no surprise, I lose sprints to cars all the time too.

Edit: just a note: there is a separate e-bike forum on BF..

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 07-29-23 at 08:13 PM.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 07-30-23, 09:17 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I guess 50+ isn't mature enough for threads like this, so I'm going to close it. Probably best to post about your ebike experience in ebikes for now
Likes For unterhausen: